U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 07:04 AM

1,181 posts, read 2,636,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowcatcher View Post
we lived in belen, nm about 25 years ago. We actually loved it. I did a good deal of watching and learning while there. We rented a really nice house dirt cheap from an older guy who wanted to be called "uncle ernie". He owned just about every house for 4 or 5 blocks around. A new couple from chicago moved in about six months after us. Behind their place was an open filed also owned by "uncle ernie". One day i was sitting on the porch when uncle ernie came by for a visit. Seems the new folks were complaining about all the tall weeds in the lot behind their new house. The chicago woman was wigging out that there may be animals and big bugs in the field and complained to the township. He wanted us to know that we should keep out back windows closed during the windy season. By going around uncle ernie and running to file a complaint with the town was a violation of some unspoken rule. So, uncle ernie told them he would do something about the weeds. The next weekend he shows up in the field with his tractor with a disc assembly behind it. He turned the weeds under and just kept going. He disced that field until the ground was the consistency of talcum powder and every plant was gone. About a week later the windy season kicked in. Every time the wind blew in from the south, it was like a dust storm around their house.

And i quote "thems not weeds, they were dust control. Anyone with half a brain would have known that."
rofl!:d:d:d
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2012, 10:57 PM

2,572 posts, read 2,611,383 times
The only "unwritten rule" that I've dealt with was that after 9 a.m. and until about 11:30 a.m. we all let the older folks have the parking spots nearest the entrance to the post office.

And we were grateful we could still walk the extra distance. Our day was coming.

Old 01-03-2013, 07:09 PM

14,726 posts, read 45,838,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by topher5150 View Post
When making a left hand turn with no opposing traffic and traffic behind you pull ito the other lane to make your turn.
Yeah, I do that all the time out in the country where we live, I call it a "redneck left" - it's not, strictly speaking, legal - although I have never heard of anyone being ticketed for it. At the same time I probably wouldn't do it if the following traffic included the Sheriff.

Where we live I would consider it safer than doing it "according to Hoyle" since there is no way any following traffic will pull out to pass while I am turning left. And usually I can see 3-4 miles down the road, unless there is fog.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:08 AM

31 posts, read 40,719 times
As i live in a rural mall place which i truly love everyone is so wonderful your always greeted with a smile and a hello' and in the market you talk to each other like your family as most will even give you a hug before you leave.As far as neighbors everyone is there for each other as they help each other and are quite a support system i enjoy this quiet life and my new found family.

Old 02-04-2013, 08:14 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,030,826 times
We moved to a small town went to the Local Store was told no matter what we see turn the other way,don't be calling no Law things have a way of being taken care of but you having family in the area (20 miles away) should already know this.

Seen several get burnt out.Yea seen a lot but still Loved living there.

brushrunner

Old 11-22-2013, 03:42 PM

852 posts, read 493,743 times
I had an amazing (for me, anyway) experience while driving through Heber-Overgaard in Arizona a few years ago. There was a small road-side restaurant, maybe six tables, and I stopped for breakfast. The waitress looked like she was in her sixties, but when I dared to ask her she said she was 78. Go figure.
I order breakfast, plenty of coffee too, and a few minutes later four men come in, they sit down next to me, and start talking. The waitress waives to them from the kitchen, but otherwise just ignores them. My food comes out, I love it, I eat slow to enjoy, then all of a sudden four plates of hot steaming omelets appear on the table next to me where the four guys are sitting. They just dig in, and keep talking and eating.

When I paid my bill, with a very generous tip for our waitress, I asked her how did she take their order, over the phone, or the Internet?

Our waitress giggled at my ignorance, then said, "Oh, Honey, they always order the same thing in the last fifteen years."

That was the point when I asked her about her age.

She cheerfully replied, "I'm seventy-eight, but I only work here in the last thirty."

In an age when brands of cars and restaurant chains come and disappear with the speed of seasons, a bit of stability feels reassuring and comforting. Yes, Heber could become my very own, secret Mayberry.

Last edited by mgforshort; 11-22-2013 at 04:09 PM..

Old 11-22-2013, 07:20 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,030,826 times
When we first moved down here we had family here. Was told we would do ok because having family here we already knew the rules. Mainly if you see anything don't say nothing, never call the Law and always be packing. This was told to us by the woman that owned the Local Store.

If we broke any of these rules the results wouldn't be good. Like our House would be burnt or worse. And seen many Houses burnt.

brushrunner

Funny I just noticed I had already posted on this. Things haven't changed LOL

Old 11-22-2013, 10:41 PM

11,300 posts, read 12,828,319 times
DO NOT try to change everything to be just what that big city was you moved here from to get away from the big city.

Old 11-23-2013, 07:40 AM

14,530 posts, read 11,956,779 times
At times, we may not have law, but, we WILL have order.

Horses have the right of way, period.

Don't leave your young lad at the local barbershop for a haircut if you don't want him looking at copies of Playboy.

Being in a hurry just runs you further behind.

Old 11-23-2013, 09:03 AM

18,852 posts, read 32,276,175 times
You are supposed to ignore complete incompetence of co workers. Malfeasance is accepted as a "norm" because we just don't make a big fuss about mistakes here. Wrong! I don't accept incompetence as a standard of practice, even in a rural area. I broke some rules. I am fine with it.

I love small town banking though, I deposited a very large check, and it had still not been debited from my other account, I needed a cashiers check, and was really in a bind. No problem, the lady at the bank gave me a cashiers check for the amount. She said they posted the money the day I wrote the check! Wow! That would NEVER happen in Vegas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living