U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2013, 07:12 PM

14,800 posts, read 18,049,213 times

Advertisements

Rules? um... just be yourself
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2013, 11:32 PM

4,207 posts, read 4,866,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A. Victor View Post
Most are happy when someone from the city takes an interest in them (us).
We hate it when we are belittled and made fun of.
Instead of trying to 'run' things and cause trouble, you should be trying to fit in.
NYC, Boston, NJ, LA, SF people are the WORST at being abrasive and obnoxious.

Not here you WON'T!

John Mellencamp - Small Town - YouTube
Whoa! Hold up about Boston. It's only a stone's throw from some of the best small towns in America. Trust me. Take it from this small town kid.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:38 AM

3,032 posts, read 5,091,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
Dogs running free is acceptable. Don't bother to call the pound. No one cares.

People in cars, will block streets, parking lots, to chat with people they know, don't honk, that is rude.

The bank credits your account the minute you deposit a check! They know you, and your account, they know where you work, and live, eat, and shop, so, they can find you!
There is a small town near me that puts out a brochure for folks moving in. In one section it says "We will stop in the street and talk from our cars/trucks for a minute. Get used to it." You're only going to the store. You shouldn't be in a big rush for that. Be friendly and get out, walk over and chat with them too. Like a native. Seriously, we have quite a few folks who worked corporate before retiring and are still rushing around pushing a deadline. It's a small town; no need for corporate rush. If you're in that much of a rush, use a different street. Even locals do that from time to time.

Old 12-27-2013, 02:54 PM

14,800 posts, read 18,049,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
There is a small town near me that puts out a brochure for folks moving in. In one section it says "We will stop in the street and talk from our cars/trucks for a minute. Get used to it." You're only going to the store. You shouldn't be in a big rush for that. Be friendly and get out, walk over and chat with them too. Like a native. Seriously, we have quite a few folks who worked corporate before retiring and are still rushing around pushing a deadline. It's a small town; no need for corporate rush. If you're in that much of a rush, use a different street. Even locals do that from time to time.
I'd do the same but i actually pulled over to the side of the road to talk to a friend... maybe the police are nice where you are from but at our old town they would ticket us for randomly parking in the middle of the street.... but again we were always drag racing and doing burnouts with our trucks so the cops hated us.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:03 PM

3,438 posts, read 4,836,925 times
A farmer neighbor of my former dairy farm told me of his experience with the locals and their advice he was given when he bought his farm.

His neighbor proceeded to tell him which creamery he will be selling his milk to....which feed mill he will be doing business with..................which tractor dealership he will be doing business with..........which dairy equipment dealer he will be doing business with.

My neighbor Paul told him he will be doing business with whomever he pleases and told Hubert mind his own business !

That was 40 years ago.
Paul is still on his farm an was/is a very successful farmer.

Big mouth Hubert never was yet he wanted to dictate the..........." unspoken rules"

Old 12-27-2013, 03:07 PM

15,853 posts, read 30,801,218 times
Never, ever, ever, ever bad mouth someone in front of another person before finding out their relationship. In my small town *everybody* is related to *everybody* either by blood or marriage (and sometimes both). It is suicide to trash someone.

20yrsinBranson

Old 12-27-2013, 03:25 PM

175 posts, read 274,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Never, ever, ever, ever bad mouth someone in front of another person before finding out their relationship. In my small town *everybody* is related to *everybody* either by blood or marriage (and sometimes both). It is suicide to trash someone.

20yrsinBranson

+1 on what you said. The small town in New Mexico where I met "Uncle Ernie" was that way. On the north side of town, 90% of the folks had three last names, the west side had about six, the east and south was pretty much where the "new folks" lived so there was at least 15 last names. The old boys would gather aat the coffee shop on main street every morning. The locals called them "family gatherings".

Old 12-27-2013, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredtinbender View Post
I lived rural all my life, but blocking a road for others because 2 locals want to visit is rude, inconsiderate, and shows a lack of manners and poor upbringing ! ( IMHO )

What else ,block the sidewalk so others have to go around on the lawn?

Block the checkout counter so no one else can check out until they are done visiting

Where I come from, 2 vehicles will park in the road to visit but they , move and wave when a vehicle wants to get by.

I can't believe that there actually are people so rude to believe they are so important that they can block a public road/street and force others to take a different route.

Last edited by Teddy52; 12-27-2013 at 06:03 PM..

Old 12-27-2013, 05:52 PM

( I also can't believe there are posters who see nothing arrogant about that behavior )

Old 12-27-2013, 09:08 PM

18,852 posts, read 32,270,491 times
Happens all the time here. Get used to it. As a newcomer, I am on ignore, most of the time. There are classes of people in a small town, you are first class if people knew your Daddy, and GrandDaddy. Second class if your kids in school with other people and know others. Third class if you have no kids, don't go to church, and just moved to town a few years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living