Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2012, 05:02 AM

192 posts, read 348,290 times

Advertisements

I dont live in a small town but I'd like to. I saw the 'You know you live in a small town when..." post and thought this would be interesting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2012, 09:30 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
#1) Trust me: we do NOT care how "it" is done in the big city.
#2) Don't forget that the "hick" you are talking to just may hold a PhD or a Masters degree but prefers to live in a small town instead of the rat-race.

Old 11-21-2012, 10:00 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
#3) Don't assume that because you have a "better way" of doing something that it hasn't been tried and found lacking by the people who've been farming/ranching/whatever in that area for the past five generations. Doesn't mean it isn't a better way, but don't automatically assume that you know better.

#4) Don't assume that farming is easy and anyone can do it. These days the farm boys are heading off to college to get their degrees in things that would make most of our heads spin just to be able to come back do a better job back on the farm.

Old 11-21-2012, 05:31 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,946,460 times
Wink Don't be imposing in a new town.

Most people in small towns have a way of running people out on a rail if they move on in and try to change things right off the bat.

Old 11-22-2012, 08:43 AM

192 posts, read 348,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLookPhoto View Post
Most people in small towns have a way of running people out on a rail if they move on in and try to change things right off the bat.
So if someone moves in and doesnt try to change anything, how do you think the people would respond? And when you say change things what are some examples? I'm moving to be a part of someone elses community and do things their way, because I hate where I am now. I am not moving to continue my lifestyle somehwere else.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michellelasher View Post
And when you say change things what are some examples? not moving to continue my lifestyle somehwere else.
One example is a guy in our town (who grew up in Montana), he lived in Arizona for a while and when he returned he moved into our town and joined a small group who tried to dig up dirt on the entire towns status of incorporation. They got everyone all riled up over it. Now a few years later he stays alone mostly in his house and seems to have no friends.

We actually made no changes to our lifestyle when we moved here but we didn't go and try to get involved in local politics at all, it's not our way. We kept a low profile as we do anyway and gradually through the years have seem to acquire a lot more real friends in Montana than we had in California where we grew up.
Folks in small towns, at least here in western Montana can seem a bit hard to get to know at first but many would give you the shirt off their backs if they like you and think you needed a shirt !!!

Moving is such a pain, I hope you find a place that you like. Our state seems to be a "live and let live" type of place but in some of the smaller towns it seem as though within the first few days a few nosey ones will pepper you with questions about every detail of your life and where you are from.

Finding a job in the region you want to live in may be the biggest challenge. Good luck to you and happy thanksgiving.

Old 11-22-2012, 12:27 PM

45,326 posts, read 60,500,026 times
The main thing to remember in a small town is that you're a newcomer. You've moved there for whatever reason and the people already there may have been there for, or rather their families have been, hundreds of years. There are streets and buildings and public parks named after them.

Do not call them inbreds.
Do not say things like "Well back in________ we'd never accept this".
Don't complain about there not being a Starbucks or trendy cuisine restaurant. There are reasons why they're not there and they mostly concern size of market.
Don't complain about the lack of "diversity" (whatever that means to you). There are reasons why minorities haven't moved to rural areas in great numbers and those revolve around jobs.

Do be pleasant.
Do get involved, slowly at first, with local affairs.
Do listen to older residents. You'll learn more than you can imagine about the area, its history, its customs and the why of the ways of doing things.

Old 11-22-2012, 01:45 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,347,105 times
We don't use our horns or honk at folks here. That is rude...besides it is probably your neighbor's Mama.

The politeness at Stop signs drives me crazy....everyone stops, "No, you go ahead", "No, you go".....just stop it already! Someone please GO.

We are not in a hurry around here. Small talk while doing business is part of living here. You don't mind when folks talk while Cashing out at the store, or bank. And if you do mind...that is part of small town life, get used to it.

Everyone knows your business. They know who you are sleeping with. Where you went on vacation, and where you ate dinner the other night. And no one really cares.
Folks know everyone's business but are quiet about it.

Last edited by jasper12; 11-22-2012 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: edit

Old 11-22-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
The politeness at Stop signs drives me crazy....everyone stops, "No, you go ahead", "No, you go".....just stop it already! Someone please GO.
Everyone knows your business. They know who you are sleeping with. Where you went on vacation, and where you ate dinner the other night. And no one really cares.
Folks know everyone's business but are quiet about it.
Boy Howdy ain't it the truth , except in our town it seems that the favorite thing for many to do is nothing but to talk about it.
I joke to my wife that "We don't gossip, we just talk about people" !

The over-politeness at stop signs is annoying in the small towns but no problem in Missoula.
The folks there drive like they are still in California !!!

Old 11-22-2012, 04:46 PM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
Don't assume you know everything. Nobody else will.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living