U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2012, 11:08 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,434,529 times

Advertisements

Chadron is preferable to any of the above mentioned, IMO.
However, SD's right; its a LONG way outside the OP's radius...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2013, 04:55 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,413,348 times
I chose Hot Springs SD but it is more than 30 miles from Rapid. FWIW, I am very happy with my choice.

uh

Old 01-01-2013, 11:58 PM

7,975 posts, read 9,380,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by semperParatus View Post
help me here..wanna move out west to a small town (under 5000) that's near(30miles) either rapid city sd,casper wy,billings or Spokane wa...prefer farming or outdoorsy type towns
The only small town less than 5,000 people within 30 miles from Casper is Glenrock. Douglas is about 50 miles away and is about 5,000 people. Laurel is probably more than 5,000 and is the only small town that distance from Billings. I don't think there is anything that size that close to Rapid City except maybe Sturgis and don't know anything about Spokane. WyoNewk is right, in states out west the towns are much further apart than in places like the Midwest or New England.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:11 PM

25,884 posts, read 32,445,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleharley View Post
I chose Hot Springs SD but it is more than 30 miles from Rapid. FWIW, I am very happy with my choice.

uh
We drove through Hot Springs yesterday.

Old 01-05-2013, 12:38 AM

28,423 posts, read 18,216,099 times
Quote:
help me here..wanna move out west to a small town (under 5000) that's near(30miles) either rapid city sd,casper wy,billings or Spokane wa...prefer farming or outdoorsy type towns
From Spokane, on the Idaho side of the border, Blanchard, Rathdrum, Spirit Lake and Twin Lakes (not reallly even a village) are all within ~30 miles from the city...depending on where in Spokane you're talking about. All are nicely rural.

Old 01-05-2013, 09:58 AM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,628,342 times
Nine Mile Falls in Washington comes to mind.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:15 PM

180 posts, read 225,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoEagle View Post
The only small town less than 5,000 people within 30 miles from Casper is Glenrock. Douglas is about 50 miles away and is about 5,000 people. Laurel is probably more than 5,000 and is the only small town that distance from Billings. I don't think there is anything that size that close to Rapid City except maybe Sturgis and don't know anything about Spokane. WyoNewk is right, in states out west the towns are much further apart than in places like the Midwest or New England.
Thermopolis is pretty interesting but farther away.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:26 PM

24,841 posts, read 32,889,763 times
[quote=WyoEagle;27582457]The only small town less than 5,000 people within 30 miles from Casper is Glenrock. Douglas is about 50 miles away and is about 5,000 people. Laurel is probably more than 5,000 and is the only small town that distance from Billings. I don't think there is anything that size that close to Rapid City except maybe Sturgis and don't know anything abou

Old 01-08-2013, 12:24 PM

1,913 posts, read 3,481,975 times
One of my favorite small western towns is Nederland, CO. Tucked away in the Flat Irons just outside of Boulder. It is still isolated just enough to not be too overrun with tourists.

Old 01-08-2013, 01:06 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,500 posts, read 41,092,490 times
Quote:
U need to add Cody, and then move to Powell. It just might be your PERFECT fit.

Spearfish / Sturgis area is nice in SD (but beyond your 30 mi reach). Piedmont, SD might do for you. It is very small, but close to RC and Sturgis.

Personally, I much prefer AG towns to Timber towns. The EDU, town support, friendliness, and overall economy seems to be better in the AG communities. YMMV

For Spokane, I would choose Rockford, or Fairfield. (or hop over into ID)

Not knowing your criteria for selecting the above towns really limits our advice.

Of Course SD, WY, WA are income tax free and MT is Sales tax free. Not sure if that has any relevance. It is very handy to live and work in a state with no income tax, but on the border of a state with no sales tax, but it is always best to live, work, and shop local (in your small town) if at all possible.

One Nice AG area to do that is Walla Walla, WA. Waitsburg is a dandy small town that is close to Walla Walla. There is lots of work and EDU in Walla Walla. Blue Mtns are close by, as are Columbia and Snake rivers.

Do you have EDU (education) / climate / political / medical / work / taxation / reasonable laws / self employment preferences / access to airports ...? All of this is very important to a choice in moving to a different location.

SD, WY are WAY different than WA politically, climate, taxation of businesses, access to variety of EDU and airports..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living