U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-25-2012, 10:00 AM
 
Location: Western Nebraskansas
2,707 posts, read 5,433,956 times
Reputation: 2415

Advertisements

Quote:
Unless you're in part of the country hit by the drought and only harvest 32 to 38% of your normal crop.
Unless he was already overextended, the farmer himself did fine, I promise. Between the usual subsidy payments, as well as crop insurance, he still made as much, if not more, than the vast majority of his non-farming neighbors.
The brand new dually pickup might have to wait til next year, but he's a long way from destitution.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-25-2012, 11:50 AM
 
2,570 posts, read 2,609,974 times
Reputation: 4410
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Unless he was already overextended, the farmer himself did fine, I promise. Between the usual subsidy payments, as well as crop insurance, he still made as much, if not more, than the vast majority of his non-farming neighbors.
The brand new dually pickup might have to wait til next year, but he's a long way from destitution.
Wow. I sense some attitude with what you say. Not everyone in agriculture participates in all government programs.

The farm programs are not the topic of this thread, but suffice it to say that not all are driving new rigs and put off making purchases of many kinds. Even what some would consider basics, like clothing. If you are in an area of welfare farmers, then you have a yellowed perception of agriculture as a whole in the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2012, 11:13 PM
 
Location: Western Nebraskansas
2,707 posts, read 5,433,956 times
Reputation: 2415
Quote:
Not everyone in agriculture participates in all government programs.
True enough. I've spent enough years ranching to agree.
But we were talking about farmers, specifically commodity farmers...The vast majority of whom are heavily subsidized.

Last edited by itsMeFred; 12-25-2012 at 11:21 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2012, 11:22 PM
 
165 posts, read 270,976 times
Reputation: 201
Move to Colorado and grow da cheeba.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2012, 11:37 AM
 
Location: Keosauqua, Iowa
9,200 posts, read 17,051,861 times
Reputation: 12393
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
True enough. I've spent enough years ranching to agree.
But we were talking about farmers, specifically commodity farmers...The vast majority of whom are heavily subsidized.
Actually this isn't true. 62% of farmers are enrolled in no government programs. This raises the question as to why the other 38% seem to think they need it.

It's definitely regional; I get reports about recipients of USDA payouts from a watchdog group every year and it appears that everybody and their dog in my county is "on the dole." Some receive less than $100 a year, when I see those I have to wonder if it's really worth the time it takes to fill out the paperwork. But as I peruse reports from other parts of the state and country I see that in some areas very few farmers receive anything.

There should be a safety net in place to allow farmers to pay their bills and keep the farm when they have a bad year. What I have a problem with is those who take the money when they don't need it, or those who choose to spend every extra dime they make in a good year and keep nothing back to hedge against future hardships. Other businesses have to do this, I've never understood why farmers get a pass.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2012, 12:02 PM
 
2,878 posts, read 3,926,100 times
Reputation: 3083
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Actually this isn't true. 62% of farmers are enrolled in no government programs. This raises the question as to why the other 38% seem to think they need it.

It's definitely regional; I get reports about recipients of USDA payouts from a watchdog group every year and it appears that everybody and their dog in my county is "on the dole." Some receive less than $100 a year, when I see those I have to wonder if it's really worth the time it takes to fill out the paperwork. But as I peruse reports from other parts of the state and country I see that in some areas very few farmers receive anything.

There should be a safety net in place to allow farmers to pay their bills and keep the farm when they have a bad year. What I have a problem with is those who take the money when they don't need it, or those who choose to spend every extra dime they make in a good year and keep nothing back to hedge against future hardships. Other businesses have to do this, I've never understood why farmers get a pass.
Crop insurance?
OD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2012, 01:21 PM
 
Location: Keosauqua, Iowa
9,200 posts, read 17,051,861 times
Reputation: 12393
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Crop insurance?
OD
Crop insurance in the US is subsidized and underwritten by the federal government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2012, 03:13 PM
 
Location: Western Nebraskansas
2,707 posts, read 5,433,956 times
Reputation: 2415
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Actually this isn't true. 62% of farmers are enrolled in no government programs. This raises the question as to why the other 38% seem to think they need it.
Actually, this is probably because that's how many producers are producing crops/livestock that don't *have* supports. Strawberries, sheep, or apples, for example, aren't subsidized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2012, 03:17 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
31,147 posts, read 50,318,661 times
Reputation: 19849
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Actually, this is probably because that's how many producers are producing crops/livestock that don't *have* supports. Strawberries, sheep, or apples, for example, aren't subsidized.
Sheep are. I was offered it. We have a poster here on this forum who gets it for his sheep, he was the one who told me about it.

In the most recent Farm Bill it was called the 'Ewe Lamb Replacement/Retention Program' and was funded $18Million.

Last edited by Submariner; 12-27-2012 at 03:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2012, 04:00 PM
 
Location: Western Nebraskansas
2,707 posts, read 5,433,956 times
Reputation: 2415
I didn't know that one. Cattle aren't, so I thought sheep weren't either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:35 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top