U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-25-2012, 09:01 AM
 
2,878 posts, read 3,927,056 times
Reputation: 3083

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
It usred to be that most everyone had the concept that the speed LIMIT meant the TOP speed you were supposed to drive, but driving slower than that was okay (though, of course, on interstates there would be a 45 mph bottom speed limit, as well, and that was marked just like the top speed limit, where applicable). Somehow there now seems to be a whole group of people who just aren't able to comprehend that concept, and they get frantic if anyone isn't going, at minimum, the absolute maximum speed that they are supposed to legally be limited to driving.

In small towns, perhaps people still are able to understand that, AND that you're not "saving time" by going faster.
That's BS. Why don't you drive 8 miles an hour in a 45mph zone in your town? Where do you draw the line? The speed limit is the speed considered safe for travel on the roadway for anyone who is licensed to operate a vehicle. If you are unable to manage the top speed on a perfectly clear sunny and dry day then you should not have a license since you are probably unsafe to operate a vehicle. If however, you are perfectly capable of operating the vehicle and maintaining the speed limit but you have 15 cars lined up behind you, unable to pass you on a two lane road and you are going 10-15 mph below the speed limit intentionally, what's your excuse? "'Cause you can"? I can see you doing that on an interstate where at least I have the option of going around you but otherwise I think you are just being inconsiderate and selfish to everyone else behind you who has something to do and somewhere to be.

You keep portraying the small town folks as slow, smelling roses with having nowhere to be but I am not sure that's the truth.

OD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-25-2012, 09:04 AM
 
2,878 posts, read 3,927,056 times
Reputation: 3083
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
I have all of those things and then some, ognend. And yet I still manage to not get irritated by people who are traveling slower than the legal UPPER speed limit. (People who think that the speed limit is a LOWER level do manage to irritate me, though.) I suspect the irritation has more to do with you and your attitude towards life and your fellow man than it does with the people who you encounter throughout the day. You sound like you belong in and would be much happier in a rush-rush, hurry-hurry, let's get to the grave sooner type of environment. Thus, North Beach Person has a good point.
So, who gets to choose the speed limit on the road then? Let's say the limit is 55 mph, two lane road, you feel like relaxing today and are going whatever you decided - let's say 35 mph. You have me and someone else behind me. Do you just ignore us then?

By the way, please do not make character conclusions and where I belong. I can do the same for you but I will refrain.

I think it is a perfectly valid question. It's not like I asked "hey I live in a small town, the speed limit is 55 and people are going 55, why are they not going 75?!?!? Don't they have anywhere to be???"

What are you talking about "attitude towards your fellow man"? Am I supposed to say "hey, the limit is 55, this guy is going 30, got to love him, he is taking us all for a sight seeing tour of the country, bless his soul, what a nice guy?"


OD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2012, 09:15 AM
 
1,521 posts, read 1,636,886 times
Reputation: 538
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Every small town I have lived in or been to the locals always drive 10-15 mph below the limit. is this anyone else's experience? If so, why do you think that is?

it's pretty annoying, I must say, it's like people have nowhere to be and nothing to do

OD
That is because the locals know where the police hide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-25-2012, 12:40 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
31,151 posts, read 50,332,412 times
Reputation: 19856
I live near to dead-center of our town. Our speed limit is 45mph.

The county Sheriff Deputy usually drives through our town once every week, and a Game Warden comes through about the same frequency.

I usually drive at about 50mph. However when I am hauling manure I rarely go over 35mph. In the winter, I commonly drive my tractor around checking on neighbors and to maybe help clear snow from driveways, my tractor does not go any faster than maybe 10mph.

At anytime we may have moose, deer, or turkey crossing the road. A month ago I saw a bear crossing the road and coming onto my land.

We get logging trucks blowing through here doing over 60mph.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-26-2012, 05:06 PM
 
Location: Central Maine
2,867 posts, read 3,046,772 times
Reputation: 3984
it's like people have nowhere to be and nothing to do

I think that this can be a good thing. Especially when you are living in the outer DC metro area where I am and everyone is flying by like they are in a high-fired hurry to go nowhere.

I lived in several small towns and several big cities. I adapted just fine and realized that the two are entirely "different animals" and that is a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2012, 11:47 AM
 
Location: Keosauqua, Iowa
9,200 posts, read 17,058,364 times
Reputation: 12393
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
So, who gets to choose the speed limit on the road then? Let's say the limit is 55 mph, two lane road, you feel like relaxing today and are going whatever you decided - let's say 35 mph. You have me and someone else behind me. Do you just ignore us then?

By the way, please do not make character conclusions and where I belong. I can do the same for you but I will refrain.

I think it is a perfectly valid question. It's not like I asked "hey I live in a small town, the speed limit is 55 and people are going 55, why are they not going 75?!?!? Don't they have anywhere to be???"

What are you talking about "attitude towards your fellow man"? Am I supposed to say "hey, the limit is 55, this guy is going 30, got to love him, he is taking us all for a sight seeing tour of the country, bless his soul, what a nice guy?"


OD
First of all, the only place I've every seen a 55 mph speed limit in town is on an interstate that bisects a large city.

Secondly, my experience is that many people in small towns completely ignore the speed limit and drive as fast as they damn well please, to hell with the fact that there may be a small child chasing a ball into the street around the next corner.

To answer the question, when I'm outside of town on a state highway where the speed limit is 55 and somebody is going under the limit, I simply wait for an opportunity to pass them. It can be annoying on a winding or hilly road where opportunities to pass are few and far between, but sooner or later I get it done and within a few seconds I've usually forgotten about it.

My advice, if this is a constant occurrence on a specific stretch of road, just take for granted that it's going to happen and allow time for it. That, or move. Getting all bent out of shape about it isn't going to do anything for you except wreck your health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2012, 12:07 PM
 
2,878 posts, read 3,927,056 times
Reputation: 3083
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
First of all, the only place I've every seen a 55 mph speed limit in town is on an interstate that bisects a large city.

Secondly, my experience is that many people in small towns completely ignore the speed limit and drive as fast as they damn well please, to hell with the fact that there may be a small child chasing a ball into the street around the next corner.

To answer the question, when I'm outside of town on a state highway where the speed limit is 55 and somebody is going under the limit, I simply wait for an opportunity to pass them. It can be annoying on a winding or hilly road where opportunities to pass are few and far between, but sooner or later I get it done and within a few seconds I've usually forgotten about it.

My advice, if this is a constant occurrence on a specific stretch of road, just take for granted that it's going to happen and allow time for it. That, or move. Getting all bent out of shape about it isn't going to do anything for you except wreck your health.
You are right, the roads I am talking about are farm roads or ranch roads (both exist here in Texas) and they are on approach to small town or coming out of a small town.

The problem is that most of the time the roads have double yellow lanes due to the nature of the terrain. Passing someone where I feel I can may very well be breaking the law... That or you are stuck behind someone who is on Mars time...

OD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2012, 12:57 PM
 
Location: Central Texas
20,494 posts, read 38,417,337 times
Reputation: 23120
Yes, the speed limit is 55 on most FM and RR roads approaching and exiting small towns in this area. Lowering to 45 as you get closer in, and 40 (horrors!) as the highway goes right through the middle of town. All clearly marked.

Most people in my experience (which is pretty extensive considering where I live and drive daily) tend to drive 60 to, on four lane roads, 70, outside of the towns, and slow down as they enter them to the actual speed limit, particularly as some small towns do actually enforce the speed limit, figuring "bat out of hell" isn't the safest way for someone to drive through the middle of their community. I do occasionally come across a very large piece of farm equipment that is being moved from one field to another that drives slower than the speed limit, and the appropriate thing to do in that case is to wait (I assure you they're aware of you!) until they either get to the field and pull off or get to a place where they can SAFELY pull over onto the roadside and let you pass. Never had one not do that as soon as they SAFELY could.

It's all part of living in the country and small towns. If you are getting bent out of shape for it, again, that life may not be for you. You may naturally be on Haley's Comet time, to use your analogy, and would be happier somewhere where everyone else is the same. I assure you, the country isn't going to change itself just for you. Nor should it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-27-2012, 05:02 PM
 
2,878 posts, read 3,927,056 times
Reputation: 3083
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Yes, the speed limit is 55 on most FM and RR roads approaching and exiting small towns in this area. Lowering to 45 as you get closer in, and 40 (horrors!) as the highway goes right through the middle of town. All clearly marked.

Most people in my experience (which is pretty extensive considering where I live and drive daily) tend to drive 60 to, on four lane roads, 70, outside of the towns, and slow down as they enter them to the actual speed limit, particularly as some small towns do actually enforce the speed limit, figuring "bat out of hell" isn't the safest way for someone to drive through the middle of their community. I do occasionally come across a very large piece of farm equipment that is being moved from one field to another that drives slower than the speed limit, and the appropriate thing to do in that case is to wait (I assure you they're aware of you!) until they either get to the field and pull off or get to a place where they can SAFELY pull over onto the roadside and let you pass. Never had one not do that as soon as they SAFELY could.

It's all part of living in the country and small towns. If you are getting bent out of shape for it, again, that life may not be for you. You may naturally be on Haley's Comet time, to use your analogy, and would be happier somewhere where everyone else is the same. I assure you, the country isn't going to change itself just for you. Nor should it.
I was not talking about large farm equipment, I was talking about the slowpoke going 10-15 mph below the limit. How much more do I need to break it down in the question?

Also, this has nothing to do with "getting bent out of shape" - I have just noticed this trend living in small towns around the country and was wondering if anyone else noticed it too. Yeah, it is annoying but it is not "give me a heart attack" annoying.

OD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-28-2012, 06:22 PM
 
Location: Pahrump, NV
2,257 posts, read 3,102,178 times
Reputation: 2011
i dont' know about other towns, but we have a unique situation here. majority of our roads here are 35 or 40mph. the cops WILL pull you over but they rarely do for just speeding. i remember hearing something about the sheriff's office not being able to enforce the limits ???? it's been a while, but most of the time if you get a ticket in this town, it's for something OTHER than speeding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:01 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top