U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 12:19 AM

5,879 posts, read 5,360,500 times

Advertisements

Well, no one's said this yet: I drive slowly through town to warm up my engine, because the speed limit goes up to 55 right out of town and I don't want to go from parked to 55 with a cold engine. That's also why we leave our cars running in front of the post office! You may have been travelling awhile and now have a warm engine and want to do the full 30 mph through town, but too bad for you! I do admit, though, that I LOVE to make the big trucks and tourists in SUVs crawl behind me for the whole 60 seconds it takes to drive through town. OK, maybe 90 seconds.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2012, 02:17 AM

9,970 posts, read 19,304,610 times
Around here folks drive slow through town as a gesture of respect. It's a small town and everyone knows who's driving so if someone went zipping through town, it would be discussed. I dunno why folks anywhere else would do it but if it's a small town it might be for the same reason.

We have minimum speed signs posted on the highway. However since in many places on the island that is the only road that goes through it kinda makes sense that they'd not want really slow drivers along there. Not that the signs really work, though. The highest posted speed is 55 and the minimum speed is 45 so there's a ten mile difference between the fast and slow speeds. We still have folks who drive slower occasionally, but those are usually tourists who are looking at the scenery and don't know enough to pull off to the side and let the folks behind them go past. I suspect because our highway looks a lot like their secondary roads or even old farm roads on the mainland they figure they can drive slow there since obviously if folks wanted to go faster they'd be on a much wider and different sort of road. Or perhaps they forgot to pack their brain, I've never quite figured it out.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:11 AM

2,878 posts, read 3,927,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Well, no one's said this yet: I drive slowly through town to warm up my engine, because the speed limit goes up to 55 right out of town and I don't want to go from parked to 55 with a cold engine. That's also why we leave our cars running in front of the post office! You may have been travelling awhile and now have a warm engine and want to do the full 30 mph through town, but too bad for you! I do admit, though, that I LOVE to make the big trucks and tourists in SUVs crawl behind me for the whole 60 seconds it takes to drive through town. OK, maybe 90 seconds.
What do you drive - a Model T Ford?

Anyways, my question was more about the roads outside of town a I clarified later on in the thread. I was talking about the roads going out of town that have the 55 mph limit where you often find folks dragging going anywhere between 35 and 45 mph.

OD

Old 01-02-2013, 06:19 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,586,241 times
In town it's 35 MPH here. People drive slower out of courtesy for walkers, since there are no stop lights folks step out into the cross walks or cross in the middle of a block. Plus, the kids zip around on scooters, skateboards & such.

Outside of town, locals drive slower where they know it is a heavy deer area, especially early in the morning. In winter, potential patches of ice slow drivers down.

I love that in this small town most are not in a hurry driving. It's usually out-of-state plates that fly thru!

Old 01-02-2013, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
In town it's 35 MPH here. People drive slower out of courtesy for walkers, since there are no stop lights folks step out into the cross walks or cross in the middle of a block. Plus, the kids zip around on scooters, skateboards & such.

Outside of town, locals drive slower where they know it is a heavy deer area, especially early in the morning. In winter, potential patches of ice slow drivers down.

I love that in this small town most are not in a hurry driving. It's usually out-of-state plates that fly thru!
Cool, thanks. My question was more geared towards "it is a bright sunny day, the road has 2 brand new lanes, the speed limit is 55 mph and people are going anywhere from 35-45 mph". Not one person but multiple occurrences on multiple roads on multiple bright and sunny days.

I fully understand people not being comfortable with rain, early morning or dusk or dark night conditions where wildlife can come out of nowhere. I myself slow down to match those conditions, it is basic safety consideration.

OD

Old 01-02-2013, 07:57 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,586,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bongo View Post
In town it's 35 MPH here.
Oops! In town it's 25 MPH.

I think small town just is a slower pace. Nobody in a hurry on the streets, in the post office, at stores. Why hurry when where you are going is only a couple blocks away!

In the big cities, so many seem perpetually in a hurry. Speeding, impatient in stores, rushing because it takes so long to get home.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:43 PM

4,327 posts, read 21,233,431 times
I live in a small community within the general Knoxville area. There is a two lane road that goes thru our community toward downtown Knoxville and it ranges from 40 to 55 mph over the 8 or 9 mile length. Most people drive at the max or slightly over. Thats MOST. Of course there are the self imposed traffic police that think that everyone should drive 35. While there are a few places to safely (and legally) pass, its pretty hard. We just hope the idiot will turn off at some point.

We also have people that will drive 45, and it makes no difference if they are on the Interstate or in a crowded parking lot.
There are also those that choose to drive without their lights on when its raining (State law requires you to have your headlights on when it is raining).

Old 01-02-2013, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barking Spider View Post
Of course there are the self imposed traffic police that think that everyone should drive 35. While there are a few places to safely (and legally) pass, its pretty hard. We just hope the idiot will turn off at some point.
Interesting - so you think they do it on purpose? As in to educate you or to s***w with you? I often have the same feeling even though I do try to maintain a very reasonable distance between my vehicle and their vehicle (in other words, I am careful not to pressure someone or p*ss them off).

In some instances, I have be honest, after I have passed them or they have off turned somewhere I realized they are just very old and can't go any faster. But sometimes you will pass them and they look perfectly normal...

OD

Old 01-03-2013, 12:50 PM

2,759 posts, read 4,430,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
My question was more geared towards "it is a bright sunny day, the road has 2 brand new lanes, the speed limit is 55 mph and people are going anywhere from 35-45 mph". Not one person but multiple occurrences on multiple roads on multiple bright and sunny days.
Around here it's mostly the tourists who drive slow in those conditions. There may be a few stoners or whatever that poke along, but most locals drive above the speed limit, and sometimes well above it. The difference in preferred speeds between locals and tourists can be pretty dangerous, since many locals will happily pass in no passing zones if they get stuck behind some dumb tourist gawking at the scenery. The passing zones are poorly marked anyways, and there's little enough traffic on many stretches that it's easy to assume that there's probably not anyone coming the other way. Of course, that assumption isn't always true.

Old 01-03-2013, 06:17 PM

4,327 posts, read 21,233,431 times
Interesting - so you think they do it on purpose? As in to educate you or to s***w with you?
Since they have control of their car, I have to assume they are doing it on purpose. True, once in a while, there are the very old drivers that really should not be driving. I understand their slow speed.

Not sure whats to educate? To drive 20 mph below the speed limit is not teaching me anything. On a talk radio program a while back, there were a few callers that admitted they drove right at the speed limit in the fast lane of the Interstate, and did it to mess with the other drivers.
I can't get into the brain of someone that drives well below the posted speed limit on a clear, dry day. Who knows why they do it except as a type of control issue thing.

Keep in mind that I do not tailgate, or try to pass them in an unsafe manner. Most of the time it is a waste of time trying to pass. I just drive along, and hope they will turn off at some point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living