U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 08:12 AM

5,070 posts, read 9,078,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
It doesn't matter what I like or hate, would it be different if I just asked: "Hey, I have been to quite a few small towns and often I noticed that locals go way below the speed limit - did you have the same experience"?

OD
In my hometown, the speed limit is 30 mph. Just watch out for the older guys who turn the blinker left and then he turns right...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2013, 09:33 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,912,544 times
quote=C. Maurio;27484716]That is because the locals know where the police hide![/quote]
Exactly. Here in slower/lower Delaware most of the roads are in the unincorporated areas and covered by State Police. I have lived here over 20 years. I KNOW where the State Police like to watch. And any local knows only a fool drives above the speed limit in local town who have their own police force.

Old 01-14-2013, 02:50 AM

5,879 posts, read 5,359,280 times
I was thinking about this today. Three other reasons why we drive more slowly even though the speed limit just outside of town is 55:

1) We either live on or are visiting a person or business located on a gravel or dirt road that turns off of the highway. Anyone with experience driving on gravel roads knows better than to be going 60 on pavement and then turn hard onto gravel! Especially in the winter when gravel is icey. Slowing down in advance before the turn is simply good driving. And driving on the shoulder is illegal where I live, so don't expect me to move to the right just so that you can go faster! I used to live in TX and remember that it was custom there to move onto the shoulder to let people pass to the left, but that hasn't been true in any other state where I've lived.

2) We know our roads. Two years ago I watched a car coming the opposite direction take a well-known curve too fast and flip over. Scared me to death. The driver, a young male with plates from another state, was ok but once I found that out I really wanted to smack him upside the head. Of course I had to stop, and let alone the fact that I was terrified that the driver might be badly hurt, it made me miss a dentist appointment!

3) We know where the deer usually cross. It's a miracle that I haven't hit a deer yet, and I don't plan to. There's a flat stretch between us and the nearest town to the west where deer are always darting across the road and getting squished, and squishing people's cars in the process. When I drive that stretch I'm trying to eye both sides of the road in addition to the road in front, and I know I slow down in the process.

so, 4) Just chill out and enjoy the scenery, OG!

Old 01-14-2013, 08:54 AM

2,878 posts, read 3,926,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
I was thinking about this today. Three other reasons why we drive more slowly even though the speed limit just outside of town is 55:

1) We either live on or are visiting a person or business located on a gravel or dirt road that turns off of the highway. Anyone with experience driving on gravel roads knows better than to be going 60 on pavement and then turn hard onto gravel! Especially in the winter when gravel is icey. Slowing down in advance before the turn is simply good driving. And driving on the shoulder is illegal where I live, so don't expect me to move to the right just so that you can go faster! I used to live in TX and remember that it was custom there to move onto the shoulder to let people pass to the left, but that hasn't been true in any other state where I've lived.

2) We know our roads. Two years ago I watched a car coming the opposite direction take a well-known curve too fast and flip over. Scared me to death. The driver, a young male with plates from another state, was ok but once I found that out I really wanted to smack him upside the head. Of course I had to stop, and let alone the fact that I was terrified that the driver might be badly hurt, it made me miss a dentist appointment!

3) We know where the deer usually cross. It's a miracle that I haven't hit a deer yet, and I don't plan to. There's a flat stretch between us and the nearest town to the west where deer are always darting across the road and getting squished, and squishing people's cars in the process. When I drive that stretch I'm trying to eye both sides of the road in addition to the road in front, and I know I slow down in the process.

so, 4) Just chill out and enjoy the scenery, OG!
Fair enough. I don't mind being held up ever now and then on the road - I just don't like when it is a lifestyle
OD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living