U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 10:10 PM

2,878 posts, read 3,926,100 times

Advertisements

Every small town I have lived in or been to the locals always drive 10-15 mph below the limit. is this anyone else's experience? If so, why do you think that is?

it's pretty annoying, I must say, it's like people have nowhere to be and nothing to do

OD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2012, 07:04 PM

16,337 posts, read 13,795,806 times
It's not much of a problem in my town, but when it happens, it's usually the elderly who drive well below the speed limit. Maybe other people want to slow down and see if they can see friends and neighbors in their yards or front porch and wave to them.

Old 12-24-2012, 12:39 PM

34,458 posts, read 43,307,926 times
You seem to hate everything about living in rural areas and small towns, OP. Maybe you should just give it up and move somewhere more compatible to your needs and wants.

Old 12-24-2012, 01:06 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,628,143 times
Red face It's Nutz !

In our town the speed limit is mostly 25 mph even downtown and anyone driving the speed limit on most of our streets would bottom out at all the intersections and most likely crash into another car or a building.
The limit on our one downtown street is 25 and it should be 10.
It's nutz because the streets are so narrow and bumpy.

Old 12-24-2012, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You seem to hate everything about living in rural areas and small towns, OP. Maybe you should just give it up and move somewhere more compatible to your needs and wants.
It doesn't matter what I like or hate, would it be different if I just asked: "Hey, I have been to quite a few small towns and often I noticed that locals go way below the speed limit - did you have the same experience"?

OD

Old 12-24-2012, 10:52 PM

20,490 posts, read 38,407,488 times
It usred to be that most everyone had the concept that the speed LIMIT meant the TOP speed you were supposed to drive, but driving slower than that was okay (though, of course, on interstates there would be a 45 mph bottom speed limit, as well, and that was marked just like the top speed limit, where applicable). Somehow there now seems to be a whole group of people who just aren't able to comprehend that concept, and they get frantic if anyone isn't going, at minimum, the absolute maximum speed that they are supposed to legally be limited to driving.

In small towns, perhaps people still are able to understand that, AND that you're not "saving time" by going faster.

Old 12-25-2012, 06:10 AM

34,458 posts, read 43,307,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Every small town I have lived in or been to the locals always drive 10-15 mph below the limit. is this anyone else's experience? If so, why do you think that is?

it's pretty annoying, I must say, it's like people have nowhere to be and nothing to do

OD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
It doesn't matter what I like or hate, would it be different if I just asked: "Hey, I have been to quite a few small towns and often I noticed that locals go way below the speed limit - did you have the same experience"?

OD

To answer the question you sked in the second quote look to the first. You pointed out how annoying it was and assumed the people had nowhere to be.
My suggestion about moving stands.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
To answer the question you sked in the second quote look to the first. You pointed out how annoying it was and assumed the people had nowhere to be.
My suggestion about moving stands.
OK - I have a job, I have to run errands, have horses to tend to, garden to take care of, a lunch to make etc. etc. If the speed limit says 55mph and someone is going 35mph then they are impeding traffic for the rest of the people who actually have something to do. Just because I live in a small town does not mean I only sit in the garden to watch the sunflower grow (not that I don't do that sometimes . I lived in a very small town in Missouri and the limit used to be 50 mph on our road going to the big town, someone would be going 35, you would pass them and they would flash you with high beams like you are the one that's crazy. Same happens in the small Texas town I am in now. We have a two lane road that goes to the bigger town 20-30 miles away and since it is a two lane road with a speed limit of 60mph, you can see how someone going 35 or 45 mph would impede traffic for the rest of the people who do not have all day to spend driving to run a simple errand or two. I have seen impolite drivers in cities but that was mostly when looking for parking spots (someone will impede traffic while crawling to find the spot) or similar stuff. However, I don't see where you get that I hate the small town overall just based on my statement that it is annoying to sit behind someone at a lower speed.

OD

Old 12-25-2012, 09:00 AM

7,562 posts, read 16,558,722 times
Yownr I live in is so small that you will be there in a couple of minutes anyway so I drive below speed limit and blast some music to relax before I get there.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

Old 12-25-2012, 09:00 AM

20,490 posts, read 38,407,488 times
I have all of those things and then some, ognend. And yet I still manage to not get irritated by people who are traveling slower than the legal UPPER speed limit. (People who think that the speed limit is a LOWER level do manage to irritate me, though.) I suspect the irritation has more to do with you and your attitude towards life and your fellow man than it does with the people who you encounter throughout the day. You sound like you belong in and would be much happier in a rush-rush, hurry-hurry, let's get to the grave sooner type of environment. Thus, North Beach Person has a good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living