U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2013, 10:52 AM

22,374 posts, read 19,836,515 times

Advertisements

On this site there are two maps showing the places where there already is or will be lots of fracking
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2013, 11:18 AM

46 posts, read 66,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foodmuse View Post
Be careful..... Nothing is what it seems....
What does this mean???

Old 01-02-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleharley View Post
I was in a similar situation a few years ago. The following is what I learned while searching for a place to retire.

Crime follows drugs and drugs follow the interstate. I have never been a victim of a crime, but have no desire to become a victim. Besides, high crime = higher taxes.
Once you get 30 miles or so away from any interstate highway, there are a gazzilion small towns to choose from. I learned that the county seats of each county have enough government jobs to support a larger business community and provide government services such as health care.
I also learned about a local climate quirk called Banana Belts. They occur on the sheltered side of any mountain range. Since we have prevailing westerly winds in most of the U S, the entire east bank of the Rockies [almost] & other mountain ranges are sheltered from the worst winter storms. There are places were the storms will blow thru, but a visit to an area should be done before moving anyway.
I chose the Black Hills in South Dakota and the town of Hot Springs to move to and have not regretted it.
I am sure you have additional criteria, but this should get you started.

uh
Thanks uncle. Funny you should mention hot springs as I had chosen SD as one of my landing spots.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Freedom overload
So, where are you starting from? Have you narrowed down your list of potential target states or regions?
What are your priorities? Once you are aware of those it might be much easier to know where to go. Like, are you into mountains or open prairie or beaches?
What kind of climate do you prefer?
I don't think small town renting is done via Craigslist. I guess I would simply ask around, look for signs in windows, ask the personnel at the b&b you are staying.
Freedom overload is right. I am still working on being comfortable with myself, or by myself. I am starting from Washington state where I have spent the last 16 years. From here I like the midwest 'cause I like wide open spaces. I am a conservative in most matters so liberals and I don't really mesh well. What's most important to me are the people. In search of truly good people for the most part. Something lacking here.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:59 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,413,348 times
"I looked up Hot Springs, SD and noticed that it is supposedly the warmest place in SD - how close to the truth is this statement"

It is the truth.... Hot Springs is nestled in a canyon on top of a geo-thermal formation, all of which is in a banana belt created by the Black Hills. It gets a bit warm here in the summer, 100+ degree days are common, but the winters are quite mild and the humidity is quite low. Of course I lived for 30 years in Wisconsin so my perspective may be different from yours.

A pick-up was stolen by some teenagers one night and crashed outside of town. This was about 3 months ago. The locals are still talking about it, so that gives you an idea of the crime rate in Hot Springs.

Fall River county, which Hot Springs is located in, does have some oil & gas drilling going on, but it is concentrated near the Wyoming border, about 30 to 35 miles west of Hot Springs. One can only guess what the future may hold. The proposed Uranium mine is not being welcomed with open arms, but my sence is that it will go thru after some bickering back and forth.

I'm not sure what else I can tell you so, good luck.

uh

PS: taxes are modest in S D and in Hot Springs. Again, this is as compared to Wisconsin so your perspective may be different.

uh

Old 01-02-2013, 12:23 PM

2,878 posts, read 3,926,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
On this site there are two maps showing the places where there already is or will be lots of fracking
Nice link, thanks.

Old 01-02-2013, 12:24 PM

2,878 posts, read 3,926,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleharley View Post
"I looked up Hot Springs, SD and noticed that it is supposedly the warmest place in SD - how close to the truth is this statement"

It is the truth.... Hot Springs is nestled in a canyon on top of a geo-thermal formation, all of which is in a banana belt created by the Black Hills. It gets a bit warm here in the summer, 100+ degree days are common, but the winters are quite mild and the humidity is quite low. Of course I lived for 30 years in Wisconsin so my perspective may be different from yours.

A pick-up was stolen by some teenagers one night and crashed outside of town. This was about 3 months ago. The locals are still talking about it, so that gives you an idea of the crime rate in Hot Springs.

Fall River county, which Hot Springs is located in, does have some oil & gas drilling going on, but it is concentrated near the Wyoming border, about 30 to 35 miles west of Hot Springs. One can only guess what the future may hold. The proposed Uranium mine is not being welcomed with open arms, but my sence is that it will go thru after some bickering back and forth.

I'm not sure what else I can tell you so, good luck.

uh

PS: taxes are modest in S D and in Hot Springs. Again, this is as compared to Wisconsin so your perspective may be different.

uh
Thanks for the extra info. Sounds like we should check it out, preferably in the winter (I figure if you like it in the winter, summer must be better )

Where we live property taxes are EXORBITANT.

OD

Old 01-02-2013, 01:37 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,413,348 times
"Where we live property taxes are EXORBITANT."

Just out of curiosity, what would you consider exorbitant taxes on a $150,000.00 property?

uh

Old 01-02-2013, 03:35 PM

Unclecharley,

Since you live in the vicinity would you know of any long term (say a month) lodging? Hotels, motels, etc? I need a place to stay to kind of get the lay of the land. I am considering staying for awhile out at the Wind Cave national park but has a 14 day limit.

Old 01-02-2013, 04:03 PM

3,764 posts, read 7,585,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virtuousman View Post
I am recently divorced and am relocating. Making a new start. I have a comfortable pension so employment is not an issue. My question is how do I go about this? I will be traveling in a converted van so I have a place to sleep providing it's warm enough. Would you just drive until you found a place you liked? Then what? I tried searching on craigslist for rentals but am frustrated with the results. I don't have good redit or references just looking for someone to rent from preferably in the country. Check the local papers? Bulletin boards? Ask around? What steps should be taken to ensure positive results?
Here's what worked for us.

We've been in Alaska for 13 years & likewise retired. So we sold our house, got rid of a lot of our stuff & came back down to the lower 48. We too, like you, needed to find our new spot.

We have a cottage that we built 20+ years ago in New Mexico, so that was our interim spot.

We meanwhile decided upon what conditions we wanted for a new place. For us it was groomed skate ski trails, downhill skiing without the glitz, camping/backpacking/hiking opportunities, small, friendly town, historic buildings.

Once we clarified our desires, it was much easier to narrow down our search. However, we plan to check out a few places, sort of gypsy-style. Heck- we finally have the time & pension.

We are now renting, instead of looking to buy, renting a tiny $600/month house while we check out small town Montana. For next year we are going to try a small town with all those amenities on our list in Colorado, to be closer to our get-away cabin in the mountains of NM. Then... who knows!?

So my suggestion to you, virtuousman, is to start with a list of your favorite amenities, your wishlist for a location, as that worked so well for us. City-Data folks helped us immensely to narrow down our searches. Great, knowledgeable folks.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living