U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2013, 11:32 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,433,956 times

Advertisements

I'm thinkin' we must be talking about seniors whose health is FAR more fragile than those I've known...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 09:11 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,705,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
I'm thinkin' we must be talking about seniors whose health is FAR more fragile than those I've known...
That is kind of a ridiculous statement because all seniors that you have known will eventually have health far more fragile, over time, as they age. They certainly will not stay in the same health because as they approach death, their health will deteriorate.

Livecontent

Old 01-15-2013, 11:01 PM

2,707 posts, read 5,433,956 times

Do you have any idea how many 90+ people I know?! lol I suppose if they're going downhill by that point, it's to be expected.
And yet our small-town medical providers are all they've ever known.

Maybe city people are just more fragile in general...

Old 01-16-2013, 05:37 AM

583 posts, read 1,535,611 times
where i am at we have health center connected to a very good hospital that has a great cancer center and all basset health care

Old 01-16-2013, 09:10 AM

9,200 posts, read 17,051,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The original question was about the competency and availability of rural medical care.
Actually, the original question was if it is possible to live in a small town and have access to good medical care.

The answer to this question is yes. There are many small towns served by outstanding physicians and medical facilities. And there are many small towns that have state-of-the-art facilities within a few miles. Hills, Iowa, for instance, has a population of 700, is completely surrounded by corn fields, and is less than 10 miles from University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City. So it is possible to have peace and quiet and feel like you completely cut off from the world yet be closer to a major hospital that many neighborhoods in large cities.

If the question was, "Can I move wherever I want and have access to good medical care?" the answer would be "No." There are many remote rural area that don't have access to medical care of any kind, and many areas both rural and urban that don't have good medical care available.

What I'm saying is, just because you don't have access to good medical care in your rural area doesn't make it a universal truth. It's unfortunate that circumstances have put you and many others in this situation, but that doesn't mean that someone entering retirement who has nothing to dictate where they live has to end up in the same situation.

Old 01-16-2013, 11:35 AM

18,546 posts, read 55,477,958 times
duster, you are right, nice catch. On review, it looks like the OP may have been actively searching for such a town. The subject generalized quickly and I responded to the generalization instead of that original query. There are a number of places that could fit the requirement. OTOH, there are a lot more that don't, so selection is important.

I guess that a good way of finding such places would be to get a rating of various hospitals and clinics, choose from the top tier, and then place them on a map and draw a twenty mile circle around them. Many are bound to have at least some rural land within that zone.

Old 01-16-2013, 01:05 PM

26,708 posts, read 53,359,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
That is kind of a ridiculous statement because all seniors that you have known will eventually have health far more fragile, over time, as they age. They certainly will not stay in the same health because as they approach death, their health will deteriorate.

Livecontent
Or they could be like several of my current and past neighbors... live to a ripe old age and die... stroke, heart attack or accident.

The lady across the street is as sharp as can be... her home of 50 years is well maintained... she is 99 and lives alone with only one daughter that lives a thousand miles away... gave up driving at 95 and does her groceries on the web for home delivery.

Another passed away a few months ago a block over... she did have care the last year at age 104. At age 100 she was still making two trips a year to her condo in Hawaii.

I could go on because most all most all my neighbors are mid eighties or nineties...

Lost a dear friend two years ago at age 96... she had a heart attack at home and that was it...

PS... I live in a regular neighborhood of single family homes in Oakland CA...

I really have come to believe the old saying your health is your wealth

Old 01-16-2013, 06:20 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,413,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Or they could be like several of my current and past neighbors... live to a ripe old age and die... stroke, heart attack or accident.

The lady across the street is as sharp as can be... her home of 50 years is well maintained... she is 99 and lives alone with only one daughter that lives a thousand miles away... gave up driving at 95 and does her groceries on the web for home delivery.

Another passed away a few months ago a block over... she did have care the last year at age 104. At age 100 she was still making two trips a year to her condo in Hawaii.

I could go on because most all most all my neighbors are mid eighties or nineties...

Lost a dear friend two years ago at age 96... she had a heart attack at home and that was it...

PS... I live in a regular neighborhood of single family homes in Oakland CA...

I really have come to believe the old saying your health is your wealth
Is there something that your neighbors have in common that enabled them to live long and healthy?

uh

Old 01-16-2013, 08:59 PM

26,708 posts, read 53,359,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleharley View Post
Is there something that your neighbors have in common that enabled them to live long and healthy?

uh
I have often wondered that... most are women and all had only a single child as was not unusual during the Depression and War Years.

All grew up on ranches or farms as a child... Montana, Utah, California and Nevada... come from pioneer stock.

All were around during the Great Depression... some lived it and other experienced it... all said it really shaped their outlook on avoiding debt.

They also all remember WWII like it was yesterday... the rationing, shortages, the women doing men's work and even the victory gardens and scrap drives... seems just about everything was needed from bacon drippings to scraps of cloth, metal and glass.

All are active as they can and engaged, get a lot of joy keeping up their yards and gardening. Without a doubt, their homes keep them going and a source of great pride...

Races range from Black, White and Asian.

It is kind of ironic that we all live in what is often referred to the murder capital of the West... Oakland CA

I don't think many give much thought to Hospitals... their primary Docs... yes. Seems like there is almost an aversion to Hospitals.

Old 01-17-2013, 09:27 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,413,080 times
Thanks for the detailed response. My thought is that their childhood and early adult experiances shaped them into what they are. The fact that they remain active and engaged keeps them????? active and engaged.

uh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living