U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2013, 02:19 PM

1 posts, read 1,519 times

Advertisements

I'm new so this may be the wrong spot to post. I currently live in a small farming town in Michigan its all woods, beaches, and corn/hay fields. The woods and beaches are good I could do with less crop fields, though. I'm going to be moving because I hate the winters here its to cold to do anything and if you have livestock its miserable. I want to live in a small town atmosphere but lose the snow. I was thinking I really like Tennessee but I'm not crazy about the venomous crew of creatures that also like living in Tennessee 4 snake species , 2 spider species , 2 scorpion species , stinging caterpillars, fire ants, and venomous beetles. Is there anywhere that doesn't freeze into a wasteland with natural beauty and good people reasonable/ low cost real estate and doesn't have sever weather and animals that are going to kill me on a regular basis, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2013, 04:13 PM

6,591 posts, read 21,269,892 times
well in terms of tn its where i moved to so it gets my vote youd probably want to look into south eatern tn closer to chattanooga if you want scenery without quite as much crop feilds...

michigan has recluse and black widow spiders so youve got the same 2 spider species...
and of those 4 "venemous" snake species, only 2 are actually DANGEROUS to humans and pets and the 2 that are are VERY easily avoided if you use your brain and your eyes, most snakes are shy and reclusive depiste their nasty reputations...dont go fooling aroud in long leaves without good boots and a stick (and pay attention) dont put wood piles up neer your house, ect...and if you see a snake sunning itself in your driveway give it space whenever possible. if you need it to moove usually a good spray with the jet on the hose close to it will encorage it to move on without you having to get close)

the poisenous scoriions in the state have a sitng no worse than a hornet or wasp...
EVERY state has venemous critters...just a quesiton f whether they are realy publicised or not...most people have NO idea whats living in thier very own back yard...so dont let THOSe things scary you off.
Id say TN and srrounding states woudl deinfatly be a good starting point if ou can get past te "everythings trying to kill me" paranoia lol.

Ive been inmy house alittle over a year now..
when i moved inmy neighbor was going on and on about how i need to watch out for the cotton mouths (highly unlikely id see one in my yard as they prefer a steady water source) and how the copper heads are everywhere and the rattlers will jusst "jump out at ya"
i dont know wether he realy belives those things or if he thought he coudl frighten the new girl...but i simply keep the earea around my house neat and tidy, im working on removing junk piles THEY put on the prperty and making sure that snake habitat is kept away from the house...simple. he claimes to have seen loads of snakes on his property (his house is about 15 feet form mine) and yet ive NEVER seen a venemous snake on my property and im out there every day...
the difference: 1: i keep things tidy and dont let junk piles accumulate, 2: i have guineas!

Old 01-21-2013, 07:18 PM

1,344 posts, read 2,576,246 times
I'd go for the Ritz. If out of your range, a Marriott or Hyatt should suit you well.

Kidding aside, you're looking for utopia. If it's location is known, it won't be posted in a forum.

Old 01-22-2013, 06:17 AM

9,982 posts, read 6,918,873 times
Venemous and recluse spider maps:
venemous spider map - Bing Images

Venemous snake maps:
venemous snakes us map - Bing Images

Rattlers:
rattlesnake map - Bing Images

Copperheads:
Copperhead snake Map - Bing Images

Old 01-22-2013, 01:11 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,413,080 times
Generally there are fewer insects in the higher altitudes, 5,000 ft or more. If I were you, I would look for a town in the high, dry, mountains. New Mexico, Az, Utah, parts of Colorado come to mind.

uh

Old 01-22-2013, 04:43 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,413,080 times
OOOPS!!!! I forgot to mention that you need to look for a "banana belt". You usually find the banana belts on the leeward side of the mountain. Since we have prevailing westerly winds in most of this hemisphere and you want to avoid severe winter weather, the leeward side would be the southeast side of the mountain.

uh

Old 01-22-2013, 10:48 PM

18,546 posts, read 55,477,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverfly View Post
I'm new so this may be the wrong spot to post. I currently live in a small farming town in Michigan its all woods, beaches, and corn/hay fields. The woods and beaches are good I could do with less crop fields, though. I'm going to be moving because I hate the winters here its to cold to do anything and if you have livestock its miserable. I want to live in a small town atmosphere but lose the snow. I was thinking I really like Tennessee but I'm not crazy about the venomous crew of creatures that also like living in Tennessee 4 snake species , 2 spider species , 2 scorpion species , stinging caterpillars, fire ants, and venomous beetles. Is there anywhere that doesn't freeze into a wasteland with natural beauty and good people reasonable/ low cost real estate and doesn't have sever weather and animals that are going to kill me on a regular basis, lol.
Short answer - NO.

We live close to TN and the nasties are ticks and chiggers. Fire ants are a pest, but unless you are unaware, easily avoided. Yeah, I was "stung" by a caterpillar, not pleasant but no worse than a bee sting. Livestock can kill you.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:11 PM

4,327 posts, read 21,225,806 times
Please don't come to TN. You would never be happy here.
Why not take off on a boat somewhere? Unless you pack some creature along, you will be quite safe at sea.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:18 AM

9,200 posts, read 17,051,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylverfly View Post
For the record:

Tennessee deaths by snakebite since 1990: 4
Deaths in the United States from spider venom each year: 6.5, all either children who don't receive treatment or the result of allergic reactions. Non-allergic people who seek treatment don't die from spider bites in the US.
Deaths in the United States due to scorpion stings in the last 11 years: 4, all in the southwest. The two species found in Tennessee are among the least venomous.
Deaths from stinging caterpillars: 0
Fire ants: 0
Venomous beetles: 0

People killed by dogs each year in the US: 53
People killed by lightning each year in the US: 90

Old 01-24-2013, 12:04 PM

2,150 posts, read 3,656,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
For the record:

Tennessee deaths by snakebite since 1990: 4
Deaths in the United States from spider venom each year: 6.5, all either children who don't receive treatment or the result of allergic reactions. Non-allergic people who seek treatment don't die from spider bites in the US.
Deaths in the United States due to scorpion stings in the last 11 years: 4, all in the southwest. The two species found in Tennessee are among the least venomous.
Deaths from stinging caterpillars: 0
Fire ants: 0
Venomous beetles: 0

People killed by dogs each year in the US: 53
People killed by lightning each year in the US: 90

wait????? how do you get half a death
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living