U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2015, 03:19 PM

38 posts, read 95,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
The labels of party and type are misleading. Fundamentally, areas with more services are going to have more taxes and costs and restrictions. Those without all of that will be cheaper.

Interestingly, because of the LACK of services and related infrastructures that must be supported, those low tax areas are undoubtedly more ecologically sound than many of the "green" areas of the country. Think about it for a minute - if you have rural farmland in a county without self-rule and a state that eschews big government, you don't have government buildings, the cost and impact of the people working in those buildings, the costs of paper and inspection trips to make sure citizens comply with rules, and so on. Farmers are very cost-conscious, and typically use a minimum of resources to create crops.

The market for organic foods is not in those areas. It is in the areas where those susceptible to marketing and willing to pay a premium are living. You can't have the best of both worlds in one spot, as the concepts are largely incompatible.
I disagree…Farmers in Vermont and Western Mass and small rural areas on Cape Cod live in areas where progressive values and organic local food farming practices are common….They are many restaurants in those areas that buy from organic farmers who are local..They are also areas of high taxes, which provide the cultural benefits and goods and services that are outstanding, such as a good independent bookstore and quality libraries and local food restaurants…Living in a rural area doesn't mean one has to give up organic food…Perhaps in the South it does, but not in the progressive North..It seems a lot of people living in the rural South may not be aware of that.

Not all farmers are cost conscious…..Especially in the South..I witnessed a lot of chicken farm pollution and waste living on the Eastern Shore of MD…Many farms used too much nitrogen and pesticides and planted invasives that took over farmland..There is still a lot of ignorance...They weren't interested in organic farming either, which would have reduced their carbon footprint and pesticide dumping and chicken manure dumping in the Chesapeake Bay..

Areas with a strong tax base ensure good services for all residents…Especially farmers….Living in rural isolated areas without good medical care and substance abuse services is similar to living in a third world country in a lot of ways..
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 03:26 PM

38 posts, read 95,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
Western Mass and Vermont are filled with organic farmers, are incredibly liberal (AND self sufficient), wouldn't care if you are gay or straight, what color you are or what your beliefs are (something that isn't particularly true about conservative areas), have many colleges and universities of all sizes, and in general is a great area to live in. Unfortunately, I know nothing about the cost of land there, and the growing season is shorter than areas further south. The Berkshires and Green Mountains are part of the Appalachian Range.

If you can abide by the state politics and some scary social beliefs outside of the immediate area, look into Asheville, NC. Nearby Swannanoa has Warren Wilson College which I imagine is one of the best environments to be around as an organic farmer (plus the cultural benefits of being around that type of school).
So true..Western Mass, Vermont have a lot of organic famers with people who are educated and tolerant and socially responsible…..Towns like Rowe, Wendell, Amherst, Williamstown, ect..They are also very welcoming of newcomers…Not true of many rural places in the south…Coming from the Eastern Shore of MD, we found that if you didnt vote Republican, keep your mouth shut about climate change and healthcare crisis and contamination of food and invasive farming with Monsanto, you are pretty much shunned and ostracized...Very unfriendly and cloud minded ..…Which is why we moved back to rural Mass…You get the best of both worlds..Progressive values, educated neighbors and a rural lifestyle and culture ..Ironically we have found people in rural areas in the north much friendlier an welcoming than any place in the south and culture is pretty dead there too because people dont want to pay taxes for the pleasure of them.

Old 08-16-2015, 11:20 AM

387 posts, read 378,697 times
Yeah, as pretty much everyone else is saying, Asheville, NC is in the Appalachian's, is beautiful, liberal, has a university, a Whole Foods, and lots of things like music festivals etc. It's small town but progressive. I grew up fly fishing around there, and it really is pretty much exactly what you are talking about.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:39 AM

14,800 posts, read 18,052,247 times
This thread is really great, i love the region and i learned a lot by reading this thread

Really would love to visit as soon as possible, seems so picturesque and pretty.... don't really care about how we only focus on "liberal towns"... i can handle living with people who don't have the same beliefs as me (we liberals are supposed to be open minded right?) so i wouldn't mind a 100 percent conservative town.

the Marietta, OH; Parkersburg, WV really stands out to me, not too big, not too small.

Old 08-21-2015, 01:40 AM

14,800 posts, read 18,052,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephadele View Post
So true..Western Mass, Vermont have a lot of organic famers with people who are educated and tolerant and socially responsible…..Towns like Rowe, Wendell, Amherst, Williamstown, ect..They are also very welcoming of newcomers…Not true of many rural places in the south…Coming from the Eastern Shore of MD, we found that if you didnt vote Republican, keep your mouth shut about climate change and healthcare crisis and contamination of food and invasive farming with Monsanto, you are pretty much shunned and ostracized...Very unfriendly and cloud minded ..…Which is why we moved back to rural Mass…You get the best of both worlds..Progressive values, educated neighbors and a rural lifestyle and culture ..Ironically we have found people in rural areas in the north much friendlier an welcoming than any place in the south and culture is pretty dead there too because people dont want to pay taxes for the pleasure of them.
That works! where i live people don't usually go around talking politics in the first place so it shouldn't matter.

Old 06-23-2017, 11:17 AM

60 posts, read 33,436 times
Farmers and liberals really dont mix that well, not anywhere i have lived

Not any real farmers anyway...I know some people consider someone with 3 cows and a kale patch a farmer

Old 06-23-2017, 01:48 PM

4,315 posts, read 2,670,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobinvans View Post
Farmers and liberals really dont mix that well, not anywhere i have lived

Not any real farmers anyway...I know some people consider someone with 3 cows and a kale patch a farmer
Yes, huge difference between a real farmer who expects the income of the farm to support him and pay off the mortgage.

Compared to someone with a garden, a couple cows, a steady retirement check every month..........buys a floppy hat and pretends to be an expert on everything.

I have been a farmer all my life but some of those mentioned above don't have enough sense to take shelter in a hail storm.

A husband and wife had a state sponsored ( govt money $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ) demonstration on their small "farm" as examples of how to make a living on a small farm.

He had a steady military retirement check and she had a retirement check from being a college professor.

I guess "eking out a living" wouldn't be difficult for them on their tiny "farm "

Old 06-28-2017, 02:30 PM

73,310 posts, read 85,496,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
Yes, huge difference between a real farmer who expects the income of the farm to support him and pay off the mortgage.

Compared to someone with a garden, a couple cows, a steady retirement check every month..........buys a floppy hat and pretends to be an expert on everything.

I have been a farmer all my life but some of those mentioned above don't have enough sense to take shelter in a hail storm.

A husband and wife had a state sponsored ( govt money $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ ) demonstration on their small "farm" as examples of how to make a living on a small farm.

He had a steady military retirement check and she had a retirement check from being a college professor.

I guess "eking out a living" wouldn't be difficult for them on their tiny "farm "
David, I totally agree with you on everything you just posted.
I also might add to the OP: the word liberal and apppalachian really do not go together to well. It sounds like you want to farm more as a hobby and not as a full business. That is fine, good for you, but if you intend on being full time farmers, want a liberal life experience and the rest that goes with it, good luck. Stick with probably the no east or even maybe Or. you can grow wine grapes maybe. Even when people suggest places like Ashville I wonder it that is truly liberal like you seem to want?

and now I notice this thread was started 4 plus years ago and poster never even came back. Sounds like someone who may not have been too terribly serious about what they really wanted. wonder where they are now?

Old 07-02-2017, 12:39 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,603,455 times
Liberal & Appalachian....hahahahaha

The real farmers don't want or need the government, they just want to do their own thing, on their land, and make their money, their way.

Liberals want & rely on the government, they want/need assistance, they don't mix well with real Appalachian farmers.

Old 07-02-2017, 04:01 PM

21,117 posts, read 36,612,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Liberal & Appalachian....hahahahaha

The real farmers don't want or need the government, they just want to do their own thing, on their land, and make their money, their way.

Liberals want & rely on the government, they want/need assistance, they don't mix well with real Appalachian farmers.
Appalachian farms tend to be smaller in size across the board compared to farms in the Midwest and Great Plains that receive far greater government crop subsidies. This is a key reason why agrarian rural counties are generally better off than wooded rural counties in terms of median household income. Mills, forestry, and other related industries have declined at faster rates, and tourism revenues in remote rural areas are not as widespread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living