U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2017, 05:29 PM

4,315 posts, read 2,670,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg10556 View Post
Liberal & Appalachian....hahahahaha

The real farmers don't want or need the government, they just want to do their own thing, on their land, and make their money, their way.

Liberals want & rely on the government, they want/need assistance, they don't mix well with real Appalachian farmers.

........"real Appalachian farmers".......

An oxymoron
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2017, 08:04 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,603,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David A Stone View Post
........"real Appalachian farmers".......

An oxymoron
Are you saying there isn't? If so, you're mistaken

Old 10-28-2018, 01:03 PM

3 posts, read 3,883 times
I'm curious how your search is going.

I've always thought of Ashville, NC as what you're describing.. but, is the nearby rural/ farming area the same?

Old 10-28-2018, 01:05 PM

3 posts, read 3,883 times
David A Stone, there is a growing number of liberals or progressive minded people who both want to be stewards of the land through sustainable and organic practices, while also helping those who need a hand. It seems a beautiful way to bring left and right together, not necessarily an oxymoron, but an answer

Old 10-28-2018, 02:28 PM

25,232 posts, read 18,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneffy View Post
I'm curious how your search is going.

I've always thought of Ashville, NC as what you're describing.. but, is the nearby rural/ farming area the same?
No. buncombe County NC is blue, but that’s spillover from Asheville city. WNC is otherwise very red.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:10 PM

21,117 posts, read 36,615,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
No. buncombe County NC is blue, but that’s spillover from Asheville city. WNC is otherwise very red.
Not entirely, you forgot about Boone and Wautaga County.

Old 10-28-2018, 06:37 PM

1,535 posts, read 1,910,948 times
The OP will have to define #4 affordable.
#4 with the other wish list = Big Bucks in WNC

Old 10-29-2018, 10:36 AM

4,078 posts, read 1,768,023 times
This is a nearly 6 year old post, so I'm assuming that the OP has made a decision on where to live. Would like to hear how things are going.

I live in NC, am a Conservative, and really think the Asheville area would be (or would've have been) a good choice. I live 1.5 east of Asheville and am very familiar with the area. As some have said, the city itself is pretty expensive and liberal. But the outlying suburban/rural counties (Henderson, Haywood, and Madison) and more affordable and have some great farmland. In my experience, Conservatives and Liberal get along well there.

Old 10-30-2018, 04:49 PM

185 posts, read 83,097 times
I hear in central Pennsylvania Harrisburg, York, and Lancaster are more liberal than surrounding areas but not as liberal as Pittsburgh or Philadelphia. State College I hear is liberal but not sure if Harrisburg, York, and Lancaster levels or Pittsburgh and Philadelphia levels. I also hear there's a liberal college town in either Snyder or Union county of Pennsylvania. Not sure exactly where though.

Old 05-30-2019, 03:59 PM

1 posts, read 172 times
I'm on here to find the same thing as OP and I will happily define it. I am looking for someplace where my religion/race/relationship status and personal choices are not used to define me as a person. A place where everyone in my community is cool with whatever choices I make and encourage me to make them irregardless of wether they clash with their personal beliefs. Essentially I want a place that is close to my 'home' as I see it where I can be whatever mix of liberal and conservative I want without my neighbors shunning me as someone who supports gay rights or legalizing weed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living