Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 06:39 PM

9,487 posts, read 16,382,617 times

Advertisements

Its amazing a number of states and its residents are all in the same country. How they have managed to stay together all these years is beyond me. All this liberal,conservative, democrat, republican, right, left is beyond ridiculous. Its no wonder the country is faltering, and barely operating satisfactorily any longer. It doesn't get along and there is no respect for one another any longer.

The country is suppose to be the United States. Yet many residents feel they can not move from one state to the other. Their not the right political persuasion or not the right religion. Their views and mindset will clash with the majority resident, in the particular state they would like to relocate to. Its really very sad and I think if it doesn't stop. Then this country is doomed. The same as on a job. If the co-workers don't get along, either the job doesn't get done, or is not completed properly. It's the same with a country. If the citizens cannot communicate with each other, respect differences and work for a common goal. Then you get a messed up society and a screwed up country. Much like we have now.

OP I think you would find a difficult time finding your needs in these smaller locations. I do respect your looking though. Perhaps with a lot of luck there is one location in existence. I hope you find it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 06:53 PM

41,731 posts, read 74,684,043 times
Athens County, Ohio: beautiful country, Ohio University, plenty of progressive folks.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:22 PM

5,730 posts, read 10,089,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperjennie View Post
Thanks for the replies so far.
Unfortunately, I don't know any "diehard conservatives" who wholeheartedly support organic farming - I think this past election cycle made it clear that the Republican party is NOT in favor of environmentally friendly policies. They still believe, despite all evidence to the contrary, that climate change is a giant hoax.

We farm organically right now on rented land, and let me tell you - among conventional farmers (the great majority conservative) we are not treated kindly. We chose this livelihood because we care about the future of our earth and we wish to be good stewards of the land... we didn't necessarily choose it for political reasons. It has just turned out that our values are not represented among conservatives.
I know several dozen organic gardners, permacultureists, people who grow or gather much of their own food (or raise it organically, or mostly organically) who are conservative... Not republican as the other poster pointed out, but conservative.

The other poster s correct, "D" and "R" are all a scam... But there are MANY true conservatives who care about the earth.

Don't buy into the lie about the parties.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:20 PM

306 posts, read 754,998 times
Yup...Floyd, VA. Also, Hot Springs, NC

Old 01-25-2013, 10:07 PM

1,360 posts, read 2,939,472 times
State College, PA.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:58 AM

8,998 posts, read 14,738,859 times
I'm not sure if Asheville, NC counts as far as Appalachian but I've heard great things about the progressive mindset of the people there and an emphasis on supporting locally owned ventures.

Eureka Springs, AR might be a good spot-the only downside is that it's more of a tourist town. It can be really dead during some times of the year.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:27 AM

15,785 posts, read 21,296,886 times
Western Mass and Vermont are filled with organic farmers, are incredibly liberal (AND self sufficient), wouldn't care if you are gay or straight, what color you are or what your beliefs are (something that isn't particularly true about conservative areas), have many colleges and universities of all sizes, and in general is a great area to live in. Unfortunately, I know nothing about the cost of land there, and the growing season is shorter than areas further south. The Berkshires and Green Mountains are part of the Appalachian Range.

If you can abide by the state politics and some scary social beliefs outside of the immediate area, look into Asheville, NC. Nearby Swannanoa has Warren Wilson College which I imagine is one of the best environments to be around as an organic farmer (plus the cultural benefits of being around that type of school).

Old 01-26-2013, 11:13 AM

23,523 posts, read 69,933,850 times
The labels of party and type are misleading. Fundamentally, areas with more services are going to have more taxes and costs and restrictions. Those without all of that will be cheaper.

Interestingly, because of the LACK of services and related infrastructures that must be supported, those low tax areas are undoubtedly more ecologically sound than many of the "green" areas of the country. Think about it for a minute - if you have rural farmland in a county without self-rule and a state that eschews big government, you don't have government buildings, the cost and impact of the people working in those buildings, the costs of paper and inspection trips to make sure citizens comply with rules, and so on. Farmers are very cost-conscious, and typically use a minimum of resources to create crops.

The market for organic foods is not in those areas. It is in the areas where those susceptible to marketing and willing to pay a premium are living. You can't have the best of both worlds in one spot, as the concepts are largely incompatible.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:27 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,589,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperjennie View Post
Thanks for the replies so far.
Unfortunately, I don't know any "diehard conservatives" who wholeheartedly support organic farming - I think this past election cycle made it clear that the Republican party is NOT in favor of environmentally friendly policies. They still believe, despite all evidence to the contrary, that climate change is a giant hoax.

We farm organically right now on rented land, and let me tell you - among conventional farmers (the great majority conservative) we are not treated kindly. We chose this livelihood because we care about the future of our earth and we wish to be good stewards of the land... we didn't necessarily choose it for political reasons. It has just turned out that our values are not represented among conservatives.
I would still disagree. Don't believe everything you see on T.V.

Old 01-27-2013, 07:51 AM

44,910 posts, read 59,905,934 times
You guys that are looking for "liberal/progressive" small towns crack me up. And you'll never define exactly what you mean.

Here's the deal on "liberal/progressive" small towns: they don't exist. If by "liberal/progressive" you mean using the power of government to effect social change.

The main thrust of small town government is providing police and other public safety services, providing safe water and effective sewer service, plowing the streets and everything else that keeps the Town running. Not declaring nuclear free zones (I'll give you Takoma Park in MD on that one), taking the lead in "green" initiatives (those all cost money, by the way, which comes from tax revenues), providing sanctuary for illegals (ok, Takoma park again) or what ever is the current cause du jour.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living