U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 04:51 PM

10,528 posts, read 10,446,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Athens County, Ohio: beautiful country, Ohio University, plenty of progressive folks.

To some degree I have to agree with you Ohiogirl, but I would go a little bit further, southeastern Ohio anywhere from I-70 down south along I-77 to the Ohio River, this is considered the foothills of the Appalachians, land is priced fairly reasonable and property taxes are very low considered to other areas and depending on which county you're in. Give it a look you might be surprised..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 02:15 PM

73,255 posts, read 85,443,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
Floyd, VA. In the Blue Ridge mountains of Sw VA, about an hour from Roanoke, about half an hour from Blacksburg, home to Virginia Tech. Lots of organic farmers here and a good farmers market in town plus a bigger one in Blacksburg.

Lots of very conservative folks here but a growing number of transplants from more liberal, urban areas. Plenty of farmland for sale. I've written about the area in a number of posts here on C-D and provided lots of links to area websites in those posts, especially in the retirement forum.
Organic gardening can be done by both conservatives and liberals, so I don't know where the OP go the idea only liberals are true organic gardeners. That being said, if he/she is really looking for a politically liberal area certainly this would not fit with his plans or needs. Maybe someday, but now, that entire area is pretty conservative regardless of a few progessives re-locating to the area.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:54 AM

1,446 posts, read 4,100,148 times
I do not agree that liberal, progressive towns do not exist. New Paltz, NY is a very liberal towns outside the Catskills with a branch of the State University of New York. I am sure some of the college towns in Vermont also fit the bill. They may not be typical small towns, you do have to look a bit harder to find them, but they still do exist.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:28 AM

306 posts, read 644,156 times
Click the link for liberal areas throughout the USA. It is the counties that went with Obama in 2008 (in blue, of course).

Map: Presidential Election Winners by County | Election 2008 | washingtonpost.com

Old 02-01-2013, 05:43 PM

58,692 posts, read 83,279,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
Ithaca, NY is in the Appalachian region as Federally defined, land values outside of town are fairly low but watch the property taxes - Upstate NY has the highest property tax relative to land value in the country.
I agree and in particular, it would seem like Trumansburg would be a good fit: Trumansburg Area Chamber of Commerce

Village of Trumansburg

New Paltz would be another good fit in terms of Upstate NY. Perhaps Saugerties too.

Old 02-01-2013, 10:38 PM

39 posts, read 110,162 times
Berea, KY

Old 02-02-2013, 12:28 AM

14,607 posts, read 15,401,532 times
OP, you want a progressive town in the Appalachian Mt area. Understand that most of those towns are in less than Progessive states. One poster recommended not considering states like Kentucky, Tennessee, West Virginia, and western Virginia.

One thing non-Progressive states like that have in common is they don't have strong public workers unions with strong ties to elected officials.

I would say that unions in general don't hold much poltical sway in those states so getting Progressive legislation passed to meet your requirements in that area may be difficult.

You should check out my state - New Jersey. Very progressive and, believe it or not, lots of farmland.

Old 02-03-2013, 11:53 AM

1,380 posts, read 1,929,842 times
When you say farm, do you mean large garden in the backyard or do you mean 100+ acres of professionally managed land? There's a huge difference! Asheville, NC for the first. Boone, NC for the 2nd.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:59 PM

347 posts, read 729,340 times
Sounds like Athens, OH to me too.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:42 PM

690 posts, read 827,402 times
Asheville and area; also....Blowing Rock, Banner Elk, Boone, Black Mountain, Hendersonville...in North Carolina.

Check out Western North Carolina Sustainable Agriculture links
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living