Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 04:26 PM

11,914 posts, read 6,501,408 times

Advertisements

Definitely the smaller towns bordering Asheville, NC. Like Black Mountain, Weaverville , etc. for affordability. TONS of organic farmers, supported by all the grocers, tailgate markets, and restaurants. Real big here on farm-to-table. Lots of cooperative organic Eco villages outside of Asheville. And as someone up thread already mentioned, you can't beat Warren Wilson College for organic, sustainable agriculture.
Whole are is surrounded by Appalachian Range--the Smokies and Blue Ridge Mnts.
Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2014, 02:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,264 times
Boone NC area is same as Asheville but much smaller & higher elevation (we hate the sweltering, humid summers down the hill!) We love it, but abhor the rude Conservative Floridians that flock here in summer. You can stay pretty clear of them though. Asheville is 1.5 hours down the mtn. Lots of Csa's, Farmers Mkt & Organic Farming. App State is great w sustainability programs.

Old 02-13-2014, 10:41 AM

26,974 posts, read 43,486,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoteGREEN View Post
Boone NC area is same as Asheville but much smaller & higher elevation (we hate the sweltering, humid summers down the hill!) We love it, but abhor the rude Conservative Floridians that flock here in summer. You can stay pretty clear of them though. Asheville is 1.5 hours down the mtn. Lots of Csa's, Farmers Mkt & Organic Farming. App State is great w sustainability programs.
I agree! Also worth exploring for a good bit milder winter climate is nearby Banner Elk, which I love! Beautiful area and not as traffic congested as Boone.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:40 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,755,385 times
Pennsylvania is Appalachia region. It's not as conservative as the southern Appalachian states, and it's not as expensive as upstate New York. Look to any small college town and you'll find a pocket of liberalness in the middle of rural conservatives. Somebody said that Pennsylvania was liberal Pittsburgh on one side and Philadelphia on the other and Alabama in the middle. But there are plenty of little college towns. Someone mentioned State College, PA. That's about as dead set in the middle of the Pennsylvania Appalachian mountains and it's extremely liberal because it's where Penn State's main campus is located.

Old 02-15-2014, 10:43 PM

43,011 posts, read 107,755,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Maybe the area around state university in West Virginia? The presence of a state u might be more important for the intellectual/political climate than what state it's in.
Morgantown, WV is pretty liberal. That's WVU's main campus. There's a head shop on High Street. Totally serious.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:06 AM

23,915 posts, read 32,232,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperjennie View Post
Thanks for the replies so far.
Unfortunately, I don't know any "diehard conservatives" who wholeheartedly support organic farming - I think this past election cycle made it clear that the Republican party is NOT in favor of environmentally friendly policies. They still believe, despite all evidence to the contrary, that climate change is a giant hoax.

We farm organically right now on rented land, and let me tell you - among conventional farmers (the great majority conservative) we are not treated kindly. We chose this livelihood because we care about the future of our earth and we wish to be good stewards of the land... we didn't necessarily choose it for political reasons. It has just turned out that our values are not represented among conservatives.

Towns and villages near Appalachian State University and Warren Wilson College may be a good place to start. Warren Wilson is a very progressive and green school in North Carolina.

Parts of Ohio are considered Appalachian and I am a transplant to that state from the NYC suburbs. The cost of living is very low and people in he North Eastern part of he state are tolerant and polite.
Many homes can be had for around 100K and with several acres.

I love he fact that we have so many well respected colleges and universities here - Oberlin, Kenyon, Ohio Wesleyan, Dennison, College of Wooster, Hiram, OSU, and Antioch.

Antioch is a very progressive school and Yellow Springs is vibrant community, with many green types.

I have an organic garden and I'm a vegetarian. My politics are left of center and Ohio is a comfortable state for me.

I'd also second hopes recommendation of Morgantown WV.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:15 PM

92,402 posts, read 122,662,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Actually, similar cities in Upstate NY like Oneonta and Plattsburgh actually have a lower overall cost of living. So, that would make the overall COL above average on a national level.
Oneonta NY would be another good choice, as it has 2 4 year colleges, is in the region and had plenty of farm land nearby. Perhaps Cortland NY and Hamilton NY could work as well.

Old 02-21-2014, 12:56 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,302,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBlueSky_ View Post
Only if the only definition of "liberal" you know is from your delusional homeschooling parents, your preacher or Faux News.
Or you learned it from growing up in California

Old 02-21-2014, 12:58 PM

1,479 posts, read 1,302,383 times
Also organic foods is not just a liberal thing. I love organic food and buy it when I can.

Old 02-25-2014, 11:25 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,820,202 times
Vermont--just not the Appalachians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living