Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 10:52 PM

Location: A Very Naughtytown In Northwestern Montanifornia U.S.A.
1,088 posts, read 1,937,816 times

Advertisements

I also really like Jackson Browns music and how many folks know that Jackson Brown was one of the original members of The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 03:00 PM

9,611 posts, read 21,147,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontLookPhoto View Post
I also really like Jackson Browns music and how many folks know that Jackson Brown was one of the original members of The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band ?
He was in the Dirt Band for just a few months before leaving to launch his solo career. He was replaced by multi-instrumentalist John McEuen who pretty much created the sound that defined the group.

If Browne had stayed in the band it's very possible that neither he nor NGDB would have ever been known outside of southern California. Funny how things work out.

Old 05-15-2013, 04:34 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,139,103 times
On the musical front, check out William Elliott Whitmore - Iowa guy who still lives on a farm, just soul driven music .... absolutely love his stuff .... I particularly feel this song

Quote:
Porchlight

the sweetest labor that my heart has known
is the field on which I stand
'cause every single seed that's been sown
was put in the ground by my hand

and some times the sun goes down a little too soon
before the day's work is through
and I keep on going by the light of the moon
when I'd rather be home with you

would you leave the porchlight on for me?
I come home from the field
when it's too dark to see

I can barely stand up
there's more to be done
oh, the bottom field needs to be plowed
and I never asked help from anyone
but Lord I can use some now

just give me the strength to make it back home
I can't work no more
and Lord let her be the first thing I see
when I crawl through that front door

to light my way back
from the night so black

well I'm sick as a dog
and no one can help
oh, the pain's more than I can bear
but still my thoughts drift
to the one sweet gift
the world that we share

and I hate for you to see me like this
oh I remember when I was strong
if I didn't have these IVs in my wrist
well I'd hold you in my arms

this hospital bed
is where I've to be

they say that I ain't got long for this life
oh they say that it's my time to go
darling you've been the most wonderful wife
that any man could know

well you stuck by me through thick and through thin
since the day you became my bride
and someday I'll hope to see you again
when we meet on the other side

even though just a memory
is all that I'll be

even though just a memory
is all that I'll be...
As for how "country" feels? There is definitely diversity in there. People aren't homogenous regardless of where they live, although many do have common goals/themes to their lives. They are just wrapped a little bit different by experience.

I grew up in the hills outside of one of the larger towns in my area (about 8,500 people all told) .... I had a barbed wire fence in my backyard that kept the cows out. My nieghbor had goats that he wasn't able to fence in and the things would eat clothes off our line, get into our garden, etc. My dad worked in the trades and my mom for the county. Many friends had parents who either worked for the gov't, one of the two factories or service. There was definitely class divides all over the town.

I enjoyed fishing although I didn't do it as much growing up. I had no interest in hunting - a lot of friends were into it, but waking up before the sun on a cold saturday morning, throwing deer urine on yourself and sitting in the woods with a bunch of people shooting guns never much appealed to me. I'm a night owl, I'd rather stay up half the night, sleep in, get some air and then watch some football. No judgement to those who enjoy it - my college roomate and the best man in my wedding is an avid hunter - just not for me. I would frequently target shoot from my back porch though (with targets setup on the same fence that kept the cows out)

Many days playing in the mud, dirt, climbing trees, hunting for frogs or crawdads. Many days spent riding my bike through dirt country roads. My grandmother lived in the town so I would spend most of my summers down there and it was definitely easier to get to know my town neighbors than my country neighbors.

Honestly, all told I couldn't wait to get out and would have no desire in ever living in that area again. I like city life, it just suits me better. However, there is still a certain peace that I can find whenever I go home. There are still things I miss tremendously. I miss roadside produce stands, I miss fresh corn (and while I have played in corn fields - they were probably the least pleasant field to play in .... i don't know many girls who would want to cut through them), i miss the fundraiser BBQs and range dinners. There are many things I don't miss as well.

So now it works out best. I can visit, I can capture just the ideals of what I enjoyed without having to deal with the things I do not. I can make my own fake ideal, very similar to a country song, knowing that it's not a life I actually have to live. I really enjoy my visits, but know that for me there simply is no life there.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:04 AM

9,611 posts, read 21,147,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
On the musical front, check out William Elliott Whitmore - Iowa guy who still lives on a farm, just soul driven music .... absolutely love his stuff .... I particularly feel this song
I live just a few miles to the west of him, and grew up just across the Mississippi and to the south of there. Having had a lot of good times in that neck of the woods over the years riding horses and playing music I can't believe that I've never met the dude.

Greg Brown and Iris DeMent live the country life in the other direction, just outside the town where my daughter goes to school.

Quote:
(and while I have played in corn fields - they were probably the least pleasant field to play in .... i don't know many girls who would want to cut through them)
Having detasseled corn all through high school and into college, I would have a hard time believing that anyone who glorifies cutting through a corn field in song has ever actually done it themselves.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:09 AM

2,159 posts, read 2,800,673 times
I consider myself a city person, but I spent a lot of time on my Grandparents farm growing up. My parents traveled a lot and often left me with them when they couldn't bring me with or during summer vacation and Christmas and spring breaks. The farm was about a 45 minute walk from the village of about 300 people.

I wasn't interested in making friends in the country. When I wasn't at the farm, I was in major cities like London and Toronto. Things would go from moving extremely fast and loud to the farm slow and near silent. I liked having both, everything in its place. I liked going to the city and all of the adventure and excitement. I liked being completely alone in the country. I was social and outgoing in the city and anti-social and withdrawn at the farm. I prefer living in the city as an adult, but prefer to avoid cities on vacation. I visit family in the country or go back country camping.

The country would get crowded if everyone preferred to live there year round.

Old 05-21-2013, 04:45 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,209,222 times
isn't that funny...?

I like to vacation in downtown Denver. Go shopping. Visit museums. Ride the elevators...
I live "away from it all."

Old 05-21-2013, 05:26 PM

10,062 posts, read 12,716,537 times
I know how country feels by standing outside on an August afternoon and looking at the cornfield at the end of the street drying up!

Old 05-24-2013, 12:30 PM

374 posts, read 507,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
I know how country feels by standing outside on an August afternoon and looking at the cornfield at the end of the street drying up!

LOL,I can relate to this one a much smaller scale.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:09 PM

149 posts, read 342,022 times
Country was born in my blood
Didnt have a choice but its what I love
Wouldnt trade it for anything
Not riches nor material things
You cant take your possessions when you leave this world
God I thank you Im a Country girl
Growing up in the fields of green
Climbing Mountains and what my eyes have seen
Fresh air flowing through my vains
Working on in the summer rains
No worrys about what life may bring
Ive been away for way too long
I hear the mountains calling me back to my country home
This time is right now Ill make my stand
My own farm, on my own land
Sweat on my face and dirt on my hands
To a country girl now this is what makes life grand.

Old 05-24-2013, 10:15 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,778,011 times
You mean no neighbors or other people within a mile or more? Yeeeep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living