U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 09:10 AM

4,576 posts, read 3,897,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I've always known how country feels. My grandparents farmed tobacco and other crops in the bluegrass region of Kentucky. They raised 6 kids, including my Dad, on that farm. It was "40 acres, a mule, and freedom" if you know what I mean. Every summer the family would descend on that farm from all different parts of the country for the tobacco harvest. Stripping tobacco is hard work and still all has to be done by hand. While the men were out in the fields, the girls and women would be up at the farmhouse kitchen putting up batches of string beans, tomatoes, blackberries - you name it, we canned it.

Sometimes I'd sneak off to the loft in the big old tobacco barn to visit a litter of kittens up there. Huge sheaves of tobacco leaves were hanging from the roof to dry. I would make myself and the cats a fortress of straw hay bales up there in the loft, and then just lay back and smell the wonderful scent given off by drying tobacco leaves. Good memories...

<snip>
Thank you for the memories as well CR, sincerely; very sweet memories and for all of the same reasons. As a descendent of the Scots-Irish who settled in and around part of the Pennyroyal Plateau region of Kentucky I can relate and align very closely with your fond memories as well.

If I close my eyes, I can almost hear the screen door as it closes behind one of us children running in and out of it.

Best regards, sincerely

HomeIsWhere...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 10:08 AM

2,707 posts, read 5,433,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
Lol. Ol' Chris could always come through, couldn't he? I guess, if we wanna get sticky, there is actually a line twixt "country"and "western". There are, distinct, traits,unique to both lifestyles. "Farm" and "ranch". Different, but highly symbiotic as well. One can't live without the other, and the cities can't live without either. (Sigh) but neither can we get things done without things from the cities. Parts and supplies.

It's an interesting triangle.
Well "farm" IS a four letter F word, and that's just all I'll say on that.

Old 08-11-2013, 01:36 PM
Status: "All in all, you're just another brick in the wall" (set 25 days ago)

5,102 posts, read 4,581,883 times
I’m glad this thread came back to life. I’ve very much enjoyed reading all through the newer posts. Nice stuff, guys!

Speaking of CW, I’ve always enjoyed Alan Jackson’s spoof on the new country western sound and its performers:

Gone Country!

She’s packs her bag,
To try her hand
Says this might be my last stand
She’s gone country -
Look at them boots!
She’s gone country
Back to her roots
She’s gone country
Here she comes!

I hear down there
It’s changed you see
They’re not as backward as they used to be!
(hahaha - big city idiots!)

Everybody’s gone country!
Yeah, we’ve gone country -
We gone!

Then there’s a fine Colorado singer/songwriter named Chuck Pyle who often gets classified as folk:

Colorado

I came as a young man
A refugee from the plains -
Was looking for higher ground
Where the sun shines thru the rain
Colorado
Everywhere I go
I’m in your shadow
You’re calling to me
Say goodbye to Denver
Out across the Divide
Last week of September –
such a fine day for a ride.
It’s a misty morning,
A Durango afternoon
Around a Mesa Verde campfire
I’ll be humming this tune.
Colorado…

Now if that's not "Western," I'll eat my ten gallon hat! I imagine most folks here can relate to getting out of some damned city like Denver and heading out to that campfire on higher ground.

Here’s another version of what country means to me. These pix were taken in what amounts to my backyard and ya'll are invited to come visit any time! Gone Country:

Ophir Pass in the fall:

View from the road to Telluride:

The Colorado River outside Moab, Utah:

Attached Thumbnails
Do you know "how country feels"?-ophir-fall.jpg   Do you know "how country feels"?-mtns-above-lake.jpg   Do you know "how country feels"?-co-river-outside-moab.jpg  

Old 08-12-2013, 05:14 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,562,744 times
CR, thanks for pointing me at Chuck Pyle. Many (many!) years ago I lived in Nederland, back when horses and cattle still roamed free in the high meadows and moved down through town to the corrals by the reservoir in the fall. We loved it up there, but family obligations called us back to Maine. Always had good memories, though, and went back every chance I got.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:02 PM

14,530 posts, read 11,954,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
Well "farm" IS a four letter F word, and that's just all I'll say on that.
Lol....that farmers can take that with good humor is why we cowboys get on with em' well enough. And fresh veggies n eggs when we ride in..with maybe some fresh buttermilk to wash things down ..after my horse gets an extra rasher of oats..is pleasing as well. Then..maybe the sodbuster pulls a mouth harp and a jug out later and I blow my pipes off. Next time through..I drop off a nice fresh brisket..and we do it all again. That is...so long as he ain't running sheep.

Old 08-13-2013, 06:00 AM
Status: "All in all, you're just another brick in the wall" (set 25 days ago)

5,102 posts, read 4,581,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post
That is...so long as he ain't running sheep.
LOL Sheep = range lice. Worthless critters that destroy browse by pulling it out by the roots and then gobbling every last bit down. They're okay on the Navajo Rez, I guess; but they're a major reason that so much of the Navajo Nation looks near as barren as a moonscape. I'll take a damned prairie dog town over even just one sheep and in my part of the West the prairie dogs have turned into a pestilence upon the land. The folks from Denver on the Colorado forum all whine about how the prairie dogs were "here first," and they're just so damned adorable why doesn't everyone in rural Colorado take in half a dozen as house pets!?

Bah! Let them all run sheep outside their big box shopping malls. I bet the damn things would do just fine grazing on asphalt!

Old 08-13-2013, 06:30 AM

14,530 posts, read 11,954,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
LOL Sheep = range lice. Worthless critters that destroy browse by pulling it out by the roots and then gobbling every last bit down. They're okay on the Navajo Rez, I guess; but they're a major reason that so much of the Navajo Nation looks near as barren as a moonscape. I'll take a damned prairie dog town over even just one sheep and in my part of the West the prairie dogs have turned into a pestilence upon the land. The folks from Denver on the Colorado forum all whine about how the prairie dogs were "here first," and they're just so damned adorable why doesn't everyone in rural Colorado take in half a dozen as house pets!?

Bah! Let them all run sheep outside their big box shopping malls. I bet the damn things would do just fine grazing on asphalt!
Mmmm....there are still Basques running sizable numbers of sheep around here. When they move them, the swath of devastation looks like an tornado went through and left a six inch deep layer of turds where the grass used to be. Pretty amazing. I like wool stuff, but thats all they are good for. Sure ain't much for eating. Yuck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living