Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2013, 08:43 AM

324 posts, read 714,209 times

Advertisements

The mountain man illustrated on the History Channel series is back in trouble again.

Eustace Conway first achieved national attention in 1998 as the subject of an article by Elizabeth Gilbert for GQ. The story, titled “The Last American Man,” chronicled Conway’s transition from a young boy who loved the outdoors, to a 17-year-old living in a teepee of his own design, to his college years at Appalachian State in Boone, and then to his first land acquisition in 1987 and subsequent development of his primitive skills camp so he can continue teaching others.

N.C. Mountain Man Fights To Preserve Old Ways

He needs help - either the State backs off their requirement or they will use Eminent Domain to remove him from his paid-for land. It's not right, nor fair - it's UnAmerican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 09:54 AM

1,378 posts, read 3,211,156 times
They can take his land???

Old 08-11-2013, 10:14 AM

2,007 posts, read 6,829,003 times
Uh he could get a real job, and he's got the show right? For money I mean. I lived in the south east for a few years and I met alot of men that would work harder at not working than if they just got a job and showed up every day to do it. I know it takes the lure of "being my own man, obliged to no one" dream away from someone. OH they all had wives, a few had to take two or three jobs so the "man" could enjoy his lifestyle.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:19 AM

12,770 posts, read 11,560,769 times
I"m so glad to see this thread. I just read an article on this man's fight with city hall, as they say. One could say he invited this by going on tv, and letting the public at large on his land, but that has also allowed his story to come to the public's attention. And it allows him some funds to fight 'the man' that seeks to impose modern rules and regs on him that is not living a modern lifestyle.
I rarely read the articles from the mainstream, but I read every word of this one, and give the AP credit for a fair, objective presentation of the issues.

Reality and the real world, 'Mountain Man' style - Yahoo! TV

I hope the majority rally to this mans side.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:20 AM

45,336 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
They can take his land???
He has a judgement against it right now related to a guest who lost an eye while there (apparently one of the Turtle Island interns was playing with a catapault and a stone hit the woman).

There are also sanitation and building code issues related to his use of the property as a get away from it all camping and education center.

Reality and the real world, 'Mountain Man' style

Old 08-11-2013, 10:25 AM

1,378 posts, read 3,211,156 times
I guess that's what happens what you go on television. He should have known better. It still is really sad to think that he could lose his land.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:26 AM

2,186 posts, read 4,571,565 times
Wow....I had no idea. When I read the article you linked the first thing that jumped out to me was his "500 plus acre" site. This is about money - lots of it. They want his land - for free - and have figured out a way to take it away from him in their version of "legality", while citing bulls*%t about permits, sanitary concerns, etc. to force him to jump through their hoops. This man has a right to live his lifestyle as he pleases - and I absolutely admire his choices and the way he chooses to perpetuate his Mountain Man existence. For me, it all goes back to the love of the land and the traditions and beliefs of the Native Americans of this country - who were murdered, robbed, raped, and lied to as their lifestyle and heritage were crushed and forced out of existence. This man has had a lifelong love of this country as it used to be, and has chosen to make his own life reflect the peace, beauty, and simplicity that the Native Americans knew generations ago. Why should he have to give that up or change it? I hope and pray that there is some big time "entity" out there who comes forward and keeps "civilization" at bay - everything in this world does not need to be regulated. Leave him alone - let him live in peace and if others want to learn his ways they should be afforded the very same opportunity.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:18 AM

This is a blatant example of the hypocracy of sustainable living. It's not about simple living, it's about control and Agenda 21.

Quote:
Conway and his supporters argued that Furman's office was missing the point. How, he asked, can he teach primitive living in modern, cookie-cutter structures?
"Human beings have built their own houses for thousands and thousands, and actually millions of years," Conway says. "And now we can't even build our own house with our own material that grows on our own land? That's not some regulation that's just a county problem. That's a human rights issue."
to hell with planning commissions.

I'm starting a thread in politics about this.

Old 08-11-2013, 03:03 PM

11,103 posts, read 9,746,390 times
Okay,....I just stopped watching this show. This second. I know "reality TV" is anything but that, but this is the limit for me. Eustace is not what he is portrayed as, and has made his own bed. If all he wanted to do was live for a living, why does he have students and interns and portray himself as someone without vehicles or means? Inviting outsiders such as students and TV folk onto his land, he opened himself up to scrutiny from the public and the government (one and the same) and he is subject to the same laws the rest of us must obey. Nobody would have bothered him if he had simply lived on his land as he pretends to on the program. I always wondered what the deal was when they kept referring to his new mortgage as a "tax issue". I wondered how he could have gotten so in arrears on a property without significant improvements. Sorry Eustace, you've lost a fan and you'll have to reap what you sowed when you sold out to the TV powers that be.

Old 08-11-2013, 04:12 PM

I haven't seen anything regarding tax problems, just a lot of harrassment by authorities. He is an educator, it runs in his family. Real education, not what these kids are getting in public schools today.
This is a good article that summarizes the hoops they have made him jump thru, and he has attempted to comply, within reason.

He can't do this, he can't do that..........he can't make a living outside of approved standards. Do you not see how we have destroyed individualism? The ability to make mistakes? The ability to share your knowledge and the fruits of your labor on your own terms? It's a pity what has happened to the country founded upon freedom, yet promotes and enforces servitude. Slavery never ended, it's worse today than ever.

The Message of the Mountain Man- Eustace Conway « Vicky Kaseorg « North Carolina Conservative

Quote:
“People need to take risks. They need to make mistakes. If you idiot-proof everything, guess what you are going to raise? A society of idiots.” Eustace feels our society is becoming the most incapable group of human beings of all time. “Our system is creating incapable people. It is way beyond alarming. People aren’t allowed to think, to make mistakes…every wonderful invention we have is built on hundreds of incorrect tries…Yet, our entire regulatory system is devaluing, not allowing the entire cornerstone of the American experience of freedom to try things out. Now not only is it philosophically and spiritually devaluing of our natural experience, but now it’s economically destroying it. So if somebody is inspired to start a small business, economically, guess what? It’s impossible because of all the regulation! So we are destroying the spirit, the vitality, the economic ability for life. Can you please publish that?? That is something people need to hear!”
Shortly after my interview, the Watauga County Health Dept. insisted that Eustace Conway could run no more camps until he altered his septic system for the kitchen grey water. Eustace, after nearly a year of no income, is rushing to comply. Funds are depleted, and his usual dazzling smile has faded. If you would like to help, a special donation site has been set up for this purpose, with many supporters already eager to help. To learn more about Turtle Island Preserve, and the many exciting camps and educational opportunities, visit their web site. Additionally, please like and share this article with everyone on the planet who cares about reducing government intrusion on freedoms we can no longer assume will always be protected.
Written by Vicky Kaseorg
Vicky is the homeschool mother of three who first became interested in politics when her right to homeschool was threatened. She is the author of 7 books and writes a daily, inspirational blog.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living