U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2007, 12:48 PM

55,597 posts, read 11,780,426 times
Default Top 10 Best Rural Counties to Live

Where's the best rural place to live?
Progresive Farmer magazine,in partnershop with the real estate reserch firm Onboard,has comfiled a top-10 list of desirable rural counties.The list takes into account several criteria,including home and land prices,crime rates,air quality,education,access to health care,and average household income.
Before making these picks,the magazine's editors traveled to the opt contenders and interviewd the residens and get the lay of the land. Here are ther final selections:
  • Barren County,KY
  • Warren County,Pa
  • Randolph County,Ill
  • Gillespie County,S.D.
  • St. Lawrence County,N.Y.
  • Sac County,Iowa
  • Garfield County,Okla.
  • Amador County,Calif.
  • Polk County,N.C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2007, 01:10 PM

6,047 posts, read 11,145,009 times
LOL we refer to Amador County as the big city county. They have a Wal-Mart

Old 10-20-2007, 03:10 PM

8,171 posts, read 21,392,136 times
I think these "lists" tend to be very self-serving to the special interests that "compile" and publish them.

I can easily come up with many counties in Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Montana, Idaho, that I know of first hand that have spectacular rural living conditions with all of the criteria mentioned ...

And I have no doubt that many other posters could do similarly for many other areas of the country. It's so subjective a top ten list that it's nice to look at, but it's otherwise meaningless .....

Old 02-15-2008, 09:49 AM

48 posts, read 152,839 times
Love St. Lawrence County. I took it for granted when I lived there. I thought all people were friendly and neighborly like they are there until I left for college. By the time I graduated I was running back home.

Old 02-15-2008, 12:43 PM

4,834 posts, read 4,038,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonten View Post
Where's the best rural place to live?
Progresive Farmer magazine,in partnershop with the real estate reserch firm Onboard,has comfiled a top-10 list of desirable rural counties.The list takes into account several criteria,including home and land prices,crime rates,air quality,education,access to health care,and average household income.
Before making these picks,the magazine's editors traveled to the opt contenders and interviewd the residens and get the lay of the land. Here are ther final selections:
  • Barren County,KY
  • Warren County,Pa
  • Randolph County,Ill
  • Gillespie County,S.D.
  • St. Lawrence County,N.Y.
  • Sac County,Iowa
  • Garfield County,Okla.
  • Amador County,Calif.
  • Polk County,N.C.
What??? They left out Sampson County, NC ........

Old 02-15-2008, 01:05 PM

284 posts, read 1,160,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonten View Post
[*]Gillespie County,S.D.
I believe you mean Gillespie County, Texas? There is no Gillespie county in South Dakota.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:21 PM

316 posts, read 380,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
I think these "lists" tend to be very self-serving to the special interests that "compile" and publish them.

I can easily come up with many counties in Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, Montana, Idaho, that I know of first hand that have spectacular rural living conditions with all of the criteria mentioned ...

And I have no doubt that many other posters could do similarly for many other areas of the country. It's so subjective a top ten list that it's nice to look at, but it's otherwise meaningless .....
When flying west - even in commercial flights - you can see rural for hundreds of miles.

When i fly from Jackson, Wy, to Salem OR, I dont think you fly over anything more then what could be considered a hamlet at the least. And thats nearly 600 miles. - Never mind all the Dakotas, Montana, Washinton state, New Mexico.... Utah.. Man there is Rural.. most of the USA is Rural! Even with Wal-Mart!

Old 02-15-2008, 08:22 PM
Status: " Love is Freedom, Love is Equal, Love Conquers Hate" (set 6 days ago)

21,911 posts, read 38,797,534 times
I dont think it a good idea to put these rural counties and cities on a "Best Place list"

The one thing that makes these areas ideal for some is the fact they are rural.

It would attract unwanted amount of transplants.
Developer comes in offers a farmer a above decent price for his land
Commercial developers are sure to follow now you are stuck with bad roads, overcrowded schools .
Restrictions start go up on type of animals you have type of pet you have, taxes go up and that rural feel is washed away.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:36 PM

10,184 posts, read 18,397,101 times
I don't think we have much control over these lists, but I certainly agree with you that after a town or city gets the publicity, it often goes downhill, over-built and ultimately becomes unaffordable except for the investor-types.

I've seen it happen to a small city (Providence, RI) and a town (Taos, NM).

Neither really benefited in the long-run although the influx of tourists appealed for awhile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
I dont think it a good idea to put these rural counties and cities on a "Best Place list"

The one thing that makes these areas ideal for some is the fact they are rural.

It would attract unwanted amount of transplants.
Developer comes in offers a farmer a above decent price for his land
Commercial developers are sure to follow now you are stuck with bad roads, overcrowded schools .
Restrictions start go up on type of animals you have type of pet you have, taxes go up and that rural feel is washed away.

Old 02-16-2008, 03:33 AM

4,834 posts, read 4,038,162 times
quoted by ontheroad:
"I've seen it happen to a small city (Providence, RI) and a town (Taos, NM)."

Wow, I agree with that 100%. Providence has been called The Renaissance City and the tourists sure helped pay for all the upgrades, but at a price no small city can afford.

It used to be a great small city which thought it was a small town but the corruption that came with the development just ruined the atmosphere. I still love the place as my roots are there but it sure doesn't look or feel the same.

So sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living