U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 04:02 PM

168 posts, read 283,637 times

Advertisements

I think some of it comes from when the largest city of the state starts to push their political ideologies on the rest of the state.

It is like how the Twin Cities have control over Minnesota and Chicago has control over Illinois.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2013, 06:41 PM

8,686 posts, read 9,461,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Because people from the city are always moving to the country and trying to make it the city. If you want the country, come to the country and accept it. If not, stay in the city. It's that simple. And stop trying to get elected to all of the boards so that you can try and tell country people how to run their towns. They've been doing it a lot longer than you have been there, thank you.
Good point. Quite a few rural Counties in CA have instituted ordinaces that say this: You move next to a farm or ranch, you have no right to complain-sue about the smells and noises.

I hate it when city folk move here and then want to bring in big box stores...hey drive the hour to Modesto if you want hit the mall, if that's what you want.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:25 PM

8,597 posts, read 5,359,483 times
Cities have a lot of churning, immigration and emigration. Small towns and rural areas do not. At the risk of excessively generalizing, cities tend to be socially more liberal, and rural areas socially more conservative. Cities, more secular; towns and rural areas, more theistically devout. Cities tend to adopt technology sooner, and to have more media access. So the city-country divide is a profound cultural divide.

My own experience is of a city-boy moving to the countryside surrounding a small town, which is itself an exurb of a small city. I’m from a metro area of 5-10 million people, a labyrinthine subway system and world-class museums. In my present locale, I don’t feel threatened or despised, as there is not a village creed that would exclude me. However, for much the same reason, I feel isolated in the countryside. It’s a solitary life, where neighbors meet rarely, and everyone keeps to himself.

One definitely notices how market-forces tend to shortchange the countryside. Take for example high-speed internet access, fiber and cable. Digital TV transmission is much shorter than analog. With the switch to digital, our over-the-air reception has so declined in quality that it’s almost unwatchable. The only option is satellite TV, satellite internet, satellite everything. For poorer people, these are inaccessible luxuries. And for digital media providers, there just isn’t a sufficient business-case to trench in the countryside to bury fiber. So we’re stuck, bypassed by the innovation-boom. This might be one reason for rural resentment of urban-driven trends.

Old 02-21-2013, 07:35 PM

797 posts, read 1,145,952 times
In many state legislatures, the divide isn't partisan, but rural vs metro

Old 02-23-2013, 01:22 PM

73,308 posts, read 85,508,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
From my experience, it's not just that small town people don't care for cities. They've made hatred of the cities a core part of their identity. So much so that rural politicianss frequently invoke it just to prove their credentials. What gives? Life's to short to hate.
this is certainly not everyone living in small towns, but some of course. It is like why do some people hate Ca or Fl or AR for that matter. Why do people constantly think people living in rural areas are uneducated or visa versa? This works both ways. Some people are just very defensive of their life style choices and think it is necessary to put others down in an attempt to build themselves up...

Old 03-04-2013, 02:30 AM

194 posts, read 238,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsMeFred View Post
. Like using "cool" to describe things that are not even remotely related to temperature, or erhmagerd, or any number of other examples.
I finally understand what that means.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:57 PM

2,878 posts, read 3,927,056 times
You can also ask why so much hostility between religious and non-religious, republican and democrat etc.

Lots of rural folk hate city people who come to the rural area, buy up the land and bring all sorts of "city stuff and attitudes" with them. Also tax increases to fund services that did not exist before. At the same time the same folks forget that there must be a local seller to sell the land to an outsider so some of the hate is misplaced.

A few rural folk think that being rural means a free pass to be loud and live like a slob. These folks do not like when someone comes in and tries to "rein them in".

A few city folk think that because they landed in the "country" everyone must bow down and kiss their feet. So it goes both ways...

Others get along just fine.

OD

Old 03-04-2013, 07:27 PM

797 posts, read 1,145,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
You can also ask why so much hostility between religious and non-religious, republican and democrat etc.

Lots of rural folk hate city people who come to the rural area, buy up the land and bring all sorts of "city stuff and attitudes" with them. Also tax increases to fund services that did not exist before. At the same time the same folks forget that there must be a local seller to sell the land to an outsider so some of the hate is misplaced.

A few rural folk think that being rural means a free pass to be loud and live like a slob. These folks do not like when someone comes in and tries to "rein them in".

A few city folk think that because they landed in the "country" everyone must bow down and kiss their feet. So it goes both ways...

Others get along just fine.

OD

We had strict zoning in our farming county.

I had to laugh before it got passed, the farmers yelling the loudest demanding strict zoning were the ones who had jusrt sold off some of their farm for developement.

They got their big bucks $$$$$$$$$$$$$, but wanted to be sure no one else did in the future.

HYPOCRITES !

Old 03-05-2013, 06:41 PM

948 posts, read 2,396,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleharley View Post
I don't like cities because they stink. Why don't the people that live in them clean up their air?

uh
cause the rural folk keep sending them beef and oil.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:04 AM

16,359 posts, read 13,805,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastmemphisguy View Post
From my experience, it's not just that small town people don't care for cities. They've made hatred of the cities a core part of their identity. So much so that rural politicianss frequently invoke it just to prove their credentials. What gives? Life's to short to hate.
Probably because big city people look down condescendingly towards people from small towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living