U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-27-2013, 08:36 PM
 
Location: SoCal & Mid-TN
2,260 posts, read 2,188,986 times
Reputation: 2723

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
That's what hurts me the most- dumped animals. I am at capacity right now and I end up doing what the pigs should have done- taking them to the animal control shelter. It kills me every time I have to do it but it is a far better way to die than getting attacked by a pack of coyotes, getting hit by a car or starving to death. At least they have a slight chance of getting adopted.
Hey, Wartrace. I'm from Nahville but have friends in several rural TN counties. It amazes me how they just toss stuff out (sometimes they toss it in the back of the pickup and it blows out when they drive down the road). They are often the same people with a ton of junk on their porch/in their yard. Rusted washing machines, etc, you know what I mean. I've seen cleaner (and more intelligent) pigs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-27-2013, 09:06 PM
 
Location: The South
690 posts, read 827,782 times
Reputation: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
That's what hurts me the most- dumped animals. I am at capacity right now and I end up doing what the pigs should have done- taking them to the animal control shelter. It kills me every time I have to do it but it is a far better way to die than getting attacked by a pack of coyotes, getting hit by a car or starving to death. At least they have a slight chance of getting adopted.
Bless you Wartrace. It's horrible and these creature are scared. Thank ou for doing your part.

I don't understand where or why people don't have more respect for others. Some folks in rural areas like to talk about how much better they are, friendly, more caring, etc., than people in urban areas, but you can't tell by the trash they leave around, throw out of their windows or let fly out of the beds of their trucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2013, 11:00 PM
 
Location: Commonwealth Of Virginia
624 posts, read 1,042,651 times
Reputation: 288
Of course I live in a rural area also, and have noticed the amounts of trash over past 5 years has increased. I have seen cars go by my home with me watching them while they tossed the can out....sorryness is what I call it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-28-2013, 04:22 PM
 
510 posts, read 781,306 times
Reputation: 284
The main roads out in Washington state are mostly clean. The side roads can be a mess especially right outside of a small town. They have had to install gates on many of the logging roads because of trash, so now the gates become improvised collection areas (washers, dryers, old fridges, mattresses, bags of trash, etc). I guess better that it is concentrated than all spread out in the woods. Before the mexicans took over the meth business, there was much more trash in the woods due to all the illegal meth labs. The main roads that travel through the reservations have lots of trash on them. Roads near the reservations will have lots of bottle and cans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2013, 11:26 PM
 
1,472 posts, read 2,030,826 times
Reputation: 1152
Around here it is against the Law to throw trash along the road.

brushrunner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2013, 07:29 AM
 
2,878 posts, read 3,927,056 times
Reputation: 3083
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
Around here it is against the Law to throw trash along the road.

brushrunner
It is against the law everywhere but the problem is the enforcement. If you have a county the size of a small state and it is pretty unpopulated, the last thing the few sheriff deputies are going to be after is some guy tossing away his trash.

I have seen piles in a lot of national forests - from washing machines to basic everyday trash.

On the other hand I live in a town of 3,000 people and it is crawling with police (county, city marshal, constables) so the roadsides are spotless. Of course, it is Texas too, I find Texas to be the most heavily policed state and its citizens to be the most law abiding so...

It is what it is...

OD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2013, 01:03 PM
 
1,064 posts, read 3,204,515 times
Reputation: 587
Oh yes, unfortunately I see alot of trash. The main drag to our historic downtown isn't bad because the city keeps it up for the tourists however the rural neighborhoods are a different story. There aren't any HOA's anywhere in our county of 8,500 so trash, dead brush/limbs, beer cans/bottles, rusted out jalopies are prevalent. I have even seen kids throw their fast food bags out of their cars our neighborhood....and they live there! They can't wait to get home to throw it out? Talk about lazy, disrespectful, little turds. One thing I can't figure out, is that the county has a transfer station that is FREE for the county residents and people still don't utilize it. Instead they leave it for the trash men to pick it up, which they won't, or they just leave it there.

I even went so far to get one of those trash grippers and when I walk, I take a bag and pick up trash along the way. At least I feel like I am doing something to contribute.

Ognend, I only wish our law enforcement would do something...there are plenty of them but they don't do much.

Last edited by txtoal; 03-05-2013 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2013, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Cape Cod
12,236 posts, read 8,652,079 times
Reputation: 20989
I can't stand people who throw trash out of their cars. If questioned about it "it gives the guy a job who picks it up" "the prisoners will pick it up". I think it is lazy and pitiful. My Mom lived on a busy street that was just far enough away from a fast food place that people were finishing eating when they where in her neighborhood and would toss out the bags etc.. Here mailbox was always a target for cans and bottles.
I put the people who litter in the same catagory as people who don't use their directionals when they drive. They are lazy self centered slobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2013, 04:52 PM
 
2,878 posts, read 3,927,056 times
Reputation: 3083
Quote:
Originally Posted by txtoal View Post
Oh yes, unfortunately I see alot of trash. The main drag to our historic downtown isn't bad because the city keeps it up for the tourists however the rural neighborhoods are a different story. There aren't any HOA's anywhere in our county of 8,500 so trash, dead brush/limbs, beer cans/bottles, rusted out jalopies are prevalent. I have even seen kids throw their fast food bags out of their cars our neighborhood....and they live there! They can't wait to get home to throw it out? Talk about lazy, disrespectful, little turds. One thing I can't figure out, is that the county has a transfer station that is FREE for the county residents and people still don't utilize it. Instead they leave it for the trash men to pick it up, which they won't, or they just leave it there.

I even went so far to get one of those trash grippers and when I walk, I take a bag and pick up trash along the way. At least I feel like I am doing something to contribute.

Ognend, I only wish our law enforcement would do something...there are plenty of them but they don't do much.
Well, I stand corrected

In my part of Texas, in the Hill Country, in this small town, we are overrun with law enforcement and it is clean . They also ticket like nuts for everything, from going 5 over the speed limit to you-name-it. Keeping the population scared seems to work.

Ognen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-05-2013, 06:01 PM
 
Location: Wartrace,TN
5,834 posts, read 9,220,537 times
Reputation: 11644
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Bless you Wartrace. It's horrible and these creature are scared. Thank ou for doing your part.

I don't understand where or why people don't have more respect for others. Some folks in rural areas like to talk about how much better they are, friendly, more caring, etc., than people in urban areas, but you can't tell by the trash they leave around, throw out of their windows or let fly out of the beds of their trucks.
The last one kept me up at night. American Staffordshire mix (aka pitbull) that was VERY sweet (he let me pick him up and licked my face when I did it). The problem was with my current dogs as they wanted to set to set the pack order and my current dogs are all older beagle mixes. I couldn't risk leaving the dogs to sort it out on their own.

I know he was put down, I drove him there and I KNEW the pitbull mixes were not adoptable. I had to clean up the problem left on my doorstep by a pig.

The pig probably thought "Spot" would have a wonderful life in the "country". Reality is I had to put "Spot" down. Although I KNOW it wasn't my fault it still hurts me for doing it. To me it is like killing a baby because it was discarded by its "mother".

The longer I live the more I despise human beings. How could anyone do that to a dog?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:08 AM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top