U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-21-2013, 08:05 PM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
31,144 posts, read 50,304,308 times
Reputation: 19844

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
apples to oranges

you are not using non- business income to suppoprt your well drilling

This guy will be using non-farm income to fiance his farming and using his farm expenses to cancel out taxes from his non-business income.
From about 1983 until 2009, we filed a Schedule 'C', an 'E' and an 'F' every year. Now we only file 'C's and an 'F'.

You can run losses from any of them to shelter your taxable profits from other revenue streams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-21-2013, 11:59 PM
 
24,841 posts, read 32,879,712 times
Reputation: 11471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
It was '2 out of 3', then it changed to '2 out of 5', then around 2000 the IRS dropped that as a hard rule. Now it is merely a guideline. If you fail to meet this guideline, it may cause an audit, in which an auditor will want to review your business model. To see if you are trying to make a profit.

There are some businesses that simply do not show a profit very often. For those types of businesses it is expected that you might only show a profit once every 10 or even 20 years.

Which is why the IRS had to drop it as a 'rule'.

For example I have a parcel of forest land. You can not cut timber on the same land every year. You can not cut timber every 5 years either.

I have pushed the '2 out of 5' guideline many times. I have gone through 3 audits so far. In each audit we came out smelling of roses.
BINGO........

You have to show the "intent" to make a profit.

That is why we buy a new rig every 3 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 12:17 AM
 
24,841 posts, read 32,879,712 times
Reputation: 11471
Forms and Schedules for Form 1040

Here is a whole alphabet to choose from to look at schedules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 08:20 AM
 
797 posts, read 1,145,451 times
Reputation: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
BINGO........

You have to show the "intent" to make a profit.

That is why we buy a new rig every 3 years.
Unless this couple have HUGE salaries, I doubt they will be purchasing anything new for awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 08:29 AM
 
24,841 posts, read 32,879,712 times
Reputation: 11471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
Unless this couple have HUGE salaries, I doubt they will be purchasing anything new for awhile.
But......they should.

That is how our system works.

Keep the money moving.

I make.......I spend....everyone benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 08:44 AM
 
797 posts, read 1,145,451 times
Reputation: 987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
But......they should.

That is how our system works.

Keep the money moving.

I make.......I spend....everyone benefits.

apples to oranges

you are using profits from the business to purchase new equipment and thus use the tax laws to claim your business made no profit
( big farmers do that all the time )

However, this couple will not be using profits from their business for a few years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 08:51 AM
 
24,841 posts, read 32,879,712 times
Reputation: 11471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
apples to oranges

you are using profits from the business to purchase new equipment and thus use the tax laws to claim your business made no profit
( big farmers do that all the time )

However, this couple will not be using profits from their business for a few years.
And you know this how????

If they are smart........they will.

Big farmers would use the same paperwork as they would.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 09:26 AM
 
Location: Keosauqua, Iowa
9,200 posts, read 17,045,390 times
Reputation: 12393
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
It was '2 out of 3', then it changed to '2 out of 5', then around 2000 the IRS dropped that as a hard rule. Now it is merely a guideline. If you fail to meet this guideline, it may cause an audit, in which an auditor will want to review your business model. To see if you are trying to make a profit.
I didn't know that. I studied accounting in college but graduated in 1999 and didn't go into that field, so I wasn't aware of that change.

But regardless of that, if this couple runs at enough of a loss for 3-4 years on this little 11 acre venture to impact the tax liability on their W-2 earnings I think they would have a hard time convincing an auditor that they are trying very hard to make a profit. The exception would be if they plan to go establish a commercial orchard or vineyard which would take a few years before it started to generate any revenue, but I don't recall that the OP suggested they planned to do that. And even if they do, legitimate expenses for a venture like that would be pretty minimal after the first year.


Quote:
There are some businesses that simply do not show a profit very often. For those types of businesses it is expected that you might only show a profit once every 10 or even 20 years.

Which is why the IRS had to drop it as a 'rule'.

For example I have a parcel of forest land. You can not cut timber on the same land every year. You can not cut timber every 5 years either.
I seem to recall from my studies that horse racing had a different schedule than other businesses which I thought was interesting, but not surprising given the nature of that business.

Quote:
I have pushed the '2 out of 5' guideline many times. I have gone through 3 audits so far. In each audit we came out smelling of roses.
As long as all the expenses are legitimate there shouldn't be any problem. The folks who are going to have trouble are the ones who try to expense out the mileage for every trip to the grocery store and things like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 09:35 AM
 
24,841 posts, read 32,879,712 times
Reputation: 11471
I agree with claiming mileage. (BIG red flag)

I rather enjoyed my IRS audit...we did two year together.

They lady did not like the way I wrote off my dog expenses.

She showed me how to write the dogs off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-22-2013, 10:25 AM
 
Location: Forests of Maine
31,144 posts, read 50,304,308 times
Reputation: 19844
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
... However, this couple will not be using profits from their business for a few years.
If you plant veggies and get into a Farmer's Market; you can get receipts of income the first year. Clearly not much, but that is all it takes.



Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
I didn't know that. I studied accounting in college but graduated in 1999 and didn't go into that field, so I wasn't aware of that change.
No sweat



Quote:
... I think they would have a hard time convincing an auditor that they are trying very hard to make a profit.
Attending conventions, workshops, Ag Extension classes are all 'proof' of intent.

Keep receipts, flyers and hand-outs from each event. Keep notes so you can rattle-off what topics you attended and how you intent to use that knowledge to tweak your operation.



Quote:
... The exception would be if they plan to go establish a commercial orchard or vineyard which would take a few years before it started to generate any revenue, but I don't recall that the OP suggested they planned to do that. And even if they do, legitimate expenses for a venture like that would be pretty minimal after the first year.
7 to 10 years is normal for fruit trees.

I have 40+ fruit / nut / herb trees, I use them on my schedule 'F' filing.



Quote:
... As long as all the expenses are legitimate there shouldn't be any problem. The folks who are going to have trouble are the ones who try to expense out the mileage for every trip to the grocery store and things like that.
I agree. There is a very narrow gate that a camel must crawl through to use a mileage write-off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top