U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 12:07 PM

24,841 posts, read 32,889,763 times

Advertisements

Glad to hear your son has a job.

When I read your first post I thought he was going to try and make a living on 11 and 1/2 acres.

My fault.......sorry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 12:09 PM

24,841 posts, read 32,889,763 times
Just a note......check with zoning.

Many townships have codes that you would never think of.

We are 35 miles from town......we could not have more than 10 farm animals.

I have to sign a waver to get my two horses.

We have a 40 acres plot that bumps up to a 80 acres plot.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:12 PM

10,953 posts, read 8,839,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Congratulations.

I have traveled a lot in my life, and have seen a lot of different farming regions. It is common for people to try and picture a setup given the climate of where they currently live. Without basis of what climate and growing conditions are like elsewhere.

In this region 11 acres is plenty for producing your heating fuel; maintaining a dozen dairy goats; and intensive gardening enough to supply a Farmer's Market stall. All in a sustainable organic manner without dependence on oil, petrochemical fertilizers, or imported feed grains.

Vast expanses of the USA are drought-prone and simply can not produce like this in a consistent manner, as compared to regions without droughts.

I wish your son luck

Will they be going off-grid?
I don't think he has plans on going off-grid, although that may be a possibility. He's got good southern exposure.

Where it was logged, there is a lot of tree tops left to be cut and split. I have an extra wood stove that I'm giving them and there is probably enough wood there to keep their fires going for several years.

I don't think he's made a decision yet about what he's going to do about the spot where it was logged - if he's going to re-plant or if he's going to try to get the stumps out of there and turn it into pasture.

There are a number of old fruit trees that are in serious need of re-habbing and I know he plans on planting more. He told me there are berries there, too (I didn't see them when I was there) but that the deer have damaged them pretty well.

He's got good road frontage so a market stand is a possibility. Probably not this year, but by next year he hopes to have a greenhouse, as well as a number of raised beds, and he could probably easily sell a few veggies, herbs, and cut flowers.

He's been interested in canning and preserving for some time; last summer he bought a water bath canner and I have an extra pressure canner I'm going to give him (or maybe I will buy them a new one as a housewarming gift).

Old 02-07-2013, 12:14 PM

11 posts, read 12,275 times
Congratulations Cinebar,
You are soo lucky to have a son who got Farmer gene and more importantly worries about you and would like you to be near so he can care for you. Thats that gift you have from almighty.

I am an immigrant(legal) to this country and live in CA, and work in High Tech. Well I had to do it for money. But my heart is always in the mud( lands ) and do farming. I have not gotten to it and the thought has never vanished of my mind. I want to start somewhere, but seems so hard with no help and to do all myself seems like its going to be a huge challenge.
May be someday, and if not better yet, have a son who will become a farmer .

All the best to you and your son's family.

Cheers.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post

When I read your first post I thought he was going to try and make a living on 11 and 1/2 acres.

My fault.......sorry.
Nooooooo........

Just a small, somewhat self-sustaining little place.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narend View Post
Congratulations Cinebar,
You are soo lucky to have a son who got Farmer gene and more importantly worries about you and would like you to be near so he can care for you. Thats that gift you have from almighty.

I am an immigrant(legal) to this country and live in CA, and work in High Tech. Well I had to do it for money. But my heart is always in the mud( lands ) and do farming. I have not gotten to it and the thought has never vanished of my mind. I want to start somewhere, but seems so hard with no help and to do all myself seems like its going to be a huge challenge.
May be someday, and if not better yet, have a son who will become a farmer .

All the best to you and your son's family.

Cheers.
Thank you.

When I was a kid, I always knew I wanted a farm/homestead of some type and that's what I have always had. Not as much land as what my son is buying but five acres has always allowed me to have my goats, chickens, and ducks, and a garden.

I hope you can find a way to reach your dream, too.

I think my son was very lucky to get this place. Everything just seemed to fall into place (almost scarily so), with the sellers being motivated (since they were done logging) and having dropped the price as much as they had just prior to my son seeing it.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Just a note......check with zoning.

Many townships have codes that you would never think of.

We are 35 miles from town......we could not have more than 10 farm animals.

I have to sign a waver to get my two horses.

We have a 40 acres plot that bumps up to a 80 acres plot.
No. None of that here. Thankfully.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:40 PM

31,148 posts, read 50,323,277 times
Quote:
Producing your heating fuel????
Did I miss-spell a word?

Old 02-07-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:

My fault.......sorry.
Good point, it takes a while for an operation to get going, and to become self-supporting.

I see farms around here with over 100 acres that will forever require off-farm income streams to keep their farm running. Yet others who can become self-supporting on 4 acres.

There are many variables.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
No. None of that here. Thankfully.
To my observation zoning / code junk is more burdensome in more urban areas. Where more rural / farm areas will tend to have little zoning or none.

Someplace getting really built-up, say 15 to 20 people per square-mile [or more], and you can expect to see HOAs and multiple layers of code enforcement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living