U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2013, 01:03 PM

10,953 posts, read 8,839,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
To my observation zoning / code junk is more burdensome in more urban areas. Where more rural / farm areas will tend to have little zoning or none.

Someplace getting really built-up, say 15 to 20 people per square-mile [or more], and you can expect to see HOAs and multiple layers of code enforcement.
This is a very rural county, with less than 76,000 people total.

My son would never buy a place with an HOA; I raised him better than that.

I don't think this county is even particularly strict about houses - there are a number around here that are pretty, shall we say, bare bones?

The girl who comes in to help me with my goat hoof trimming lives in one her father built. Because you don't need permits if the building is under a certain amount of square feet (I can't remember what that is off the top of my head), he basically built several of these buildings, all connected by a covered breezeway. My friend and her husband live in one of the small buildings - it is their bedroom/living space and is heated with a wood stove. Their kitchen is in the breezeway and is open at both ends, making it a little cold to cook in at times and difficult to keep the chickens out of. lol

They don't have a septic, so they rent a port-a-potty. Since they didn't want it look like a regular port-a-potty, they built around it with wood so that it looks like an old-fashioned outhouse.

They bathe in an outside bath tub.

It's actually kind of a charming place, in a rustic sort of way, but probably not something that would be allowed in a lot of counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2013, 01:18 PM

24,841 posts, read 32,887,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post

I don't think this county is even particularly strict about houses - there are a number around here that are pretty, shall we say, bare bones?

The girl who comes in to help me with my goat hoof trimming lives in one her father built. Because you don't need permits if the building is under a certain amount of square feet (I can't remember what that is off the top of my head), he basically built several of these buildings, all connected by a covered breezeway. My friend and her husband live in one of the small buildings - it is their bedroom/living space and is heated with a wood stove. Their kitchen is in the breezeway and is open at both ends, making it a little cold to cook in at times and difficult to keep the chickens out of. lol

They don't have a septic, so they rent a port-a-potty. Since they didn't want it look like a regular port-a-potty, they built around it with wood so that it looks like an old-fashioned outhouse.

It's actually kind of a charming place, in a rustic sort of way, but probably not something that would be allowed in a lot of counties.
They could be grandfathered......I would still check. Still, "bare bones" could code.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:19 PM

31,147 posts, read 50,318,661 times
Quote:

Sounds nice

Outhouses are legal here, not many exist but they are okay.

Last edited by Submariner; 02-07-2013 at 02:13 PM..

Old 02-07-2013, 01:24 PM

Bentley Township, Michigan | Ask.com Encyclopedia

OK......this is what I mean by small.

Yet, when we built my barn it was permit after permit.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:42 PM

Make sure your son gets a well driller to run tests on the well.

Repairs or, new wells are not cheap.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:48 PM

10,953 posts, read 8,839,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Make sure your son gets a well driller to run tests on the well.

Repairs or, new wells are not cheap.
It's got a brand new pressure tank and water filtration system, with all the paperwork and manuals sitting on the kitchen counter. Since no one has lived there for a long time, this stuff is brand new and never even been used.

I know about wells - I had to have my pump replaced less than a year after I moved here. I've also had to re-do the wiring and replace the pressure switch several times.

Well problems are on-going for me; luckily, that has given my son a certain amount of experience in dealing with them.

Old 02-07-2013, 01:59 PM

Quote:
It's got a brand new pressure tank and water filtration system, with all the paperwork and manuals sitting on the kitchen counter. Since no one has lived there for a long time, this stuff is brand new and never even been used.

I know about wells - I had to have my pump replaced less than a year after I moved here. I've also had to re-do the wiring and replace the pressure switch several times.

Well problems are on-going for me; luckily, that has given my son a certain amount of experience in dealing with them.
I wonder why they did all that.......and mostly what they are trying keep out.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:11 PM

31,147 posts, read 50,318,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Bentley Township, Michigan | Ask.com Encyclopedia

OK......this is what I mean by small.

Yet, when we built my barn it was permit after permit.
Population density = 24.1/sq mi

Not saying this to argue. I have seen your posts for a long time. You are a valued member here.

Had you decided to live in a rural area, then you would likely have seen less zoning, code enforcement, and lower taxes.

When you pile people nearly on top of each other, the demand for municipal services goes up. Which requires more government employees to provide services [town clerk, dog catcher, planning, code enforcement, assessor, etc], all of that costs higher property taxes.

At the same time; zoning and codes become multiplied.

Likewise when you stretch folks out, in rural areas taxes go down, zoning is less, few codes are enforced.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Population density = 24.1/sq mi

Not saying this to argue. I have seen your posts for a long time. You are a valued member here.

Had you decided to live in a rural area, then you would likely have seen less zoning, code enforcement, and lower taxes.

When you pile people nearly on top of each other, the demand for municipal services goes up. Which requires more government employees to provide services [town clerk, dog catcher, planning, code enforcement, assessor, etc], all of that costs higher property taxes.

At the same time; zoning and codes become multiplied.

Likewise when you stretch folks out, in rural areas taxes go down, zoning is less, few codes are enforced.
Our taxes are very low here.

Old 02-09-2013, 09:12 PM

274 posts, read 516,135 times
Have your son read up on Carey Reams, he has passed away but his work on small scale with big results is very impressive. He stated in his work if you treated your soil properly 40 acres could produce equal to 200. If your son applied that to his 11 he can support himself. Also the man who wrote the book This is not normal folks, Joel S. can't remember his last name would be of interest to him.
He will do fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living