U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 11:48 AM

24,841 posts, read 32,879,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
No permit is required before drilling a well here. You and I have discussed this topic previously.

It is possible that the well-driller might fill out a form after drilling a well to comply with whatever.

I am not aware of any 'inspection' done by anyone, unless it was a remote inspection done from within some county office. We do not pay high enough taxes for those folks to be leaving their offices and driving all over the state for every home.
Oh, yes......I do remember.

Like I said...I know the codes in Michigan.....that is what I deal with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 11:51 AM

State Information - National Groundwater Association

This is for all states.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Where was your local health department in all of this????

This company has a lot of good information on wells in your state.

All states have different codes......in Michigan we have to set 27 foot of casing. So a well has to be 30 foot.

20 foot is not near enough to be clean water.

Maine Well Drilling Company, Maine Water Wells, Maine Pump Systems, Maine Geothermal Systems, McLeod Water Wells located in Hermon Maine.
My 27 foot of casing is a typo......It should read 25 foot.

BTW....standpoints are not legal in Michigan.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:03 PM

31,146 posts, read 50,304,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Nice maps

The geology of glacier till is interesting. I would have more expected them to mimic today's river runoff system but they do not.

I can see that may have some bearing on well drilling, but realistically all a home-owner or farmer wants is water. And likely does not care if the water flows from a bedrock aquifer or a till aquifer.

I did some googling and I found a dot-gov site that provides maps of some wells in my state. Though only for the largest of the cities. When I zoomed in and examined the map for our closest city, it is readily apparent that the majority of clusters of homes do not show any well sites at all. It looks like they are only showing municipal wells.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:01 PM

In Michigan....we have to document everything...

It is a pain but, I do see how the information is useful.

Old 02-19-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Nice maps

The geology of glacier till is interesting. I would have more expected them to mimic today's river runoff system but they do not.

I can see that may have some bearing on well drilling, but realistically all a home-owner or farmer wants is water. And likely does not care if the water flows from a bedrock aquifer or a till aquifer.

I did some googling and I found a dot-gov site that provides maps of some wells in my state. Though only for the largest of the cities. When I zoomed in and examined the map for our closest city, it is readily apparent that the majority of clusters of homes do not show any well sites at all. It looks like they are only showing municipal wells.
There are types of water wells. Bedrock.....on these we use just two shale traps.

The second type is screened.

A long screen is set in the casing.

Some drillers use a k-pack.

I am a glue and set gal.....

Old 02-20-2013, 09:27 PM

1 posts, read 712 times
Sounds like you have a fine job raising your son! I say go for it - If your boy asked you to move close to him/his? there is no where on earth I'd rather be girl! Be proud of the values you have instilled in your lil farmer man and thank the good Lord -that it is not the other way around (LOL) From one country living mother to another - you have done an A++ job teaching yours about the things that matter the most in this ole' world.

Old 02-21-2013, 06:14 AM

73,255 posts, read 85,443,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
My son and his girlfriend put an offer in on a farm over the weekend - a nice, solid little two-bedroom farm house (built in 1925) on 11 1/2 acres - and we just found out the offer was accepted!

I am so excited for them but I can't help but be a little nervous as well - it seems to be a pretty big commitment for a 22-year-old (his girlfriend is a year older) and I hope they didn't bite off more than they could chew (not payment wise - they got a GREAT deal) and that my son doesn't get burned out before he's thirty trying to take care of it.

The house has been empty for almost twelve years; the property was bought by a timber company and they sat on it all this time until they could harvest the timber, which they did last summer.

They put a new roof on the house, painted it, put in a new hot water heater, pressure tank, and water filtration system, insulated it and put it on the market last August. They recently dropped the price $20,000.

The house is small (only 816 square feet) but there are just the two of them and their three spoiled house cats. It could easily be added onto later.

The timber was logged at the back of the property - maybe four acres total; the rest is in rolling pasture.

It has a separate garage and what my son calls a "chicken coop." It's one of those long buildings with a lot of windows, but looking inside, it doesn't look like a chicken coop to me - more of a barn/shop thing. It needs some work but appears to be pretty solid.

When my son took me to see it a couple of weeks ago, before he had arranged to see it with a real estate agent, we were looking at the outside of the pump house and I told him that it was pretty big to be "just" a pump house and I told him that I thought that it was most likely also what I call a "canning room" - an insulated building set up to store home-canned goods (we couldn't see inside because the door was padlocked). When my son and his girlfriend went to see it a week later with the agent, guess what? I nailed it! That's exactly what it is! My son says it's big enough for a chest freezer as well.

He's so excited! He's got plans for a big garden of raised beds and a green house and he wants to raise a beef (his girlfriend's father said he would buy a steer and buy the feed for it and then they could split the beef). My son also wants to check into raising "pasture hogs" - possibly American Guinea Hogs - and raising some meat birds.

And......he wants me to sell my place and move onto the property. Not into the house but to buy a park model and set it up. I know he worries about me out here by myself when my youngest graduates high school this year and moves out and he has always talked about buying a place that I could also live on.

And, yes, the goats can come! In fact, he wants the goats. The dogs not so much but we would work around it - we would fence in a large area for them, probably using a portion of the barn/shop/coop (whatever it is) as their "house" (since I have too many dogs to fit into a park model with me). The cats, of course, are welcome, as are the chickens but I don't think he wants the 50-60 Muscovies. lol

It makes a lot of sense but I'm not sure I can do it. I like my privacy and I'm not sure about living on someone else's property - even if that someone else is my own son. He's got a spot picked out at one side of the property where there would be some trees between us that he says would be "perfect" and where I would have my own driveway; he says it would be like we were "just neighbors."

Also, this farm, while still surrounded by other farms, is much closer to "civilization" than what I am used to - I'm pretty remote out here and I like it. I'm not sure about moving closer to town.

And by selling my place, I would have a bit of a nest egg to probably see me through until, well.....until I didn't need it anymore.

Anyway, lots to think about but no decisions have to be made right away. In the meantime, I am just so happy for him and excited that at least one of my kids got the "farmer gene."
Sounds like a huge undertaking, but what a way to spend thier time, than making improvements and enjoying the great outdoors. It beats sitting around at the bar, drinking all weekend.

As for you and moving, if your youngest is just graduating from high school, I doubt you are, in anyway, unable to take care of yourself and it sounds like you are not quite reaady to live on someone else's propety, ever your sons. No one can make the decision but you, if it were me, I think I would simply say, "son I appreciate your concerns but I will be fine for a few more years"

Old 02-21-2013, 07:03 AM

86,093 posts, read 73,622,034 times
Congrats. Farming full time is near impossible while working full time.

If he needs the job then maybe just do small scale farming while working.
There's no rush to go all hog wild and get everything in place all at once.
Take your time and do a little every year.

That's what I keep saying to myself as I fix up my 45 acres.."Rome wasn't built in a day".
I was working full time last year and got hardly anything done. Now I'm home more (early retirement but doing substitute teaching) and while I can get more done, there's still a laundry list a mile long of "projects".

Old 02-21-2013, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Congrats. Farming full time is near impossible while working full time.

If he needs the job then maybe just do small scale farming while working.
There's no rush to go all hog wild and get everything in place all at once.
Take your time and do a little every year.

That's what I keep saying to myself as I fix up my 45 acres.."Rome wasn't built in a day".
I was working full time last year and got hardly anything done. Now I'm home more (early retirement but doing substitute teaching) and while I can get more done, there's still a laundry list a mile long of "projects".
Yes, it is next to impossible.

Farm equipment is priced along the lines of well rigs.

That means $500,000 and up for a tractor....and that is just a start.

Or, you can buy junk....duck tape and a lot of wenches.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living