U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 09:11 AM

24,841 posts, read 32,887,308 times

Advertisements

Now......the good part, it is all a write offs on your taxes.

So, your son will get all of the money taken from his pay checks back.

Of course, not FICA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
My 27 foot of casing is a typo......It should read 25 foot.

BTW....standpoints are not legal in Michigan.
My goodness.......I was having a bad day!!!

Sand points ARE NOT legal in Michigan.

Old 02-21-2013, 09:31 AM

31,147 posts, read 50,318,661 times
Quote:
... Or, you can buy junk....duck tape and a lot of wenches.
Love them wenches

Anything that includes wenches can not be a bad thing

Old 02-21-2013, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Love them wenches

Not me.......I want things to work......the first time.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:51 AM

9,200 posts, read 17,051,861 times
Quote:
Yes, it is next to impossible.

Farm equipment is priced along the lines of well rigs.

That means $500,000 and up for a tractor....and that is just a start.

Or, you can buy junk....duck tape and a lot of wenches.
Where are you shopping for tractors? I can buy more of a farm tractor than I'd ever hope to need for under $50,000 brand new. A perfectly serviceable used tractor - something along the lines of an 806 International - can be had for well under $10,000, no duct tape or "wenches" needed. Heck, John Deere's most expensive combine tops out at about $500,000, and unless someone has a really big operation they usually either hire their combining done or get by just fine with a 30-year-old model.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:53 AM

9,200 posts, read 17,051,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Love them wenches

Quote:
Not me.......I want things to work......the first time.
So you're saying that women are lazy? Interesting.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
So you're saying that women are lazy? Interesting.
I am saying time is money.

That is why I buy the best equipment from the best dealers.

If I am broke down on the job it is costing me money.

If you think drilling is easy PM me and I will let you try it this summer.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:55 AM

91 posts, read 154,245 times
Good fences make good neighbors. Fence was one of the first things I jumped on when I moved back to the woods years ago.
It's good to see there actually are some young people who prefer "farm" life, growing some of their own food, etc. instead of ordering up delivery pizza and driving around w/ their car blasting thumpity-bumpity noise all night.
Think a whole lot before giving up your place and moving onto your son's property. It sounds like you and he have a good relationship but how is your relationship w/ his fiancée?
I attempted to assist my mother, built her a house on the 20 acres I owned at the time, but she did not adjust well. I've since concluded that she would not have been happy anywhere w/ anyone but another rejection from her was hard to take. Certainly your situation is very different.
On the flip, this is an exciting time for your son. Becoming a landowner was very important to me and I remember well how good it felt when I closed on my first house/land.
Best of luck to all
-izzy

Old 02-21-2013, 12:56 PM

12,683 posts, read 17,014,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Where are you shopping for tractors? I can buy more of a farm tractor than I'd ever hope to need for under $50,000 brand new. A perfectly serviceable used tractor - something along the lines of an 806 International - can be had for well under $10,000, no duct tape or "wenches" needed. Heck, John Deere's most expensive combine tops out at about $500,000, and unless someone has a really big operation they usually either hire their combining done or get by just fine with a 30-year-old model.
Lol! If I looked hard enough, I could probably buy a real farm that came with an old tractor for $50,000 out here around Lubbock.

When I last visited this thread, I think we were talking about 11 acres. Unless there is a lot of timber or other heavy natural resources to manage, that sort of acreage will eventually require more than a garden tractor but anything over a 40HP tractor with a good PTO and 3-point lift would be overkill. My small 20 acre place was never intended to produce income so my 60-year old 28HP Fords do well just to keep the weeds and coyotes from taking over. These tractors would also produce a food garden sufficient to feed my family if I desired to do so. I would undoubtedly produce enough to have leftovers for the farmer's market.

Of course, give me a good set of sockets, a pair of pliers and a barn with a concrete floor and I'm a happy camper. At my age I like to keep it simple. Given spark, a little gasoline and compression and near correct timing and my 60 year old tractors will run fine, and they will run all day.

Old 02-21-2013, 12:57 PM

797 posts, read 1,145,777 times
When I was farming, very few farmers bought new machinery.

A farm is much different from a well drilling business in that farming requires many different types of machinery.

Thankfully,today, there are many custom operators and most of the time it makes more sense to hire your 2 day job done rather than invest in the equipment and store it 363 days a year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living