U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 07:18 PM

797 posts, read 1,145,952 times

Advertisements

( about not locking ones house ) If a state hwy goes through your small town, you may know everyone in your town but you know nothing about the strangers passing through your town at night.

My cousin and her teen son and teen daughter lived in a town of about 2500.
She never locked her door.

One night 2 thugs from the big city decided they needed gas money. They tried a few houses at 1:am that were locked and came upon hers. The result was one rape and three throats cut.

I doubt they got over $10
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 10:18 PM

37,149 posts, read 43,082,479 times
To me, it means severely limited employment options. If not for that, I'd live in a small town in a heartbeat, similar to the one I grew up in.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:48 AM

25,691 posts, read 24,531,561 times
Agree, small towns do have their down sides too. But, then, the more populated an area is, the higher crime rates will be. Work of course, all the good jobs, you most likely will have to commute. But again, as mentioned, you get some city folks coming through, they bring their lifestyle and crime with them.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:39 PM

2,260 posts, read 2,188,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I moved from an area of about 500,000 to a small mountain town of 800 (300 in winter) when I retired. I loved it there! People were friendly and open. It was quiet too. Stupidly I moved away, but plan to move back this summer. There's an old saying, the best thing about a small town is everyone knows everyone. The worst thing about a small town is everyone knows everyone.
^^^^This. Small town politics can be a bear. Sometime it's corrupt too. Tick off the wrong person - even just standing up for yourself, and it can get unpleasant.

Old 02-27-2013, 09:32 PM

3,023 posts, read 3,855,198 times
People retiring to small towns don't take into account that medical facilities will be very limited. This may not seem important at the time but as you get older it becomes more important. The metro area where I live is about 275,000 but we have excellent medical facilities within a few minutes of my home. Crime is not an issue here as my city is one of the safest in the country.

Old 03-02-2013, 09:02 PM

16,359 posts, read 13,805,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
I always hear the expression----------" where everybody knows everybody"

I have often wondered what population size makes that possible.
My guess is over 1500 it is unlikely,

I have heard that expression used in a town of 7500 near me.
Strange that most of the kids graduating from that high school don't even know half of the students in their graduating class.
I'm not surprised how that might work out, especially if the class has several hundred students. I went through junior high and high school and never had a class with my cousin even though we were in the same grade.

Old 03-03-2013, 04:08 AM

16,884 posts, read 13,241,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But when is a small town too big? At 10,000 population? At 1,000?

the town I live closest to has 3204 people in it and that is still too many for me. I would love to move to Medicine Bow, Wyoming. population is less than 300.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:01 PM

7,123 posts, read 12,746,193 times
I like everything about a small town. Less hectic lifestyle. Feels safer in many instances. More room between neighbors. Hopefully anyways. Less traffic. People know one another more so than in bigger areas. Not all the big box stores, and all the traffic and congestion that comes with it. I think the smaller town just has an overall better quality of life to it. Especially if it is within decent range of a bigger Metro, when that is needed. Medical or shopping, Education needs etc. Only thing I don't like about small towns or small anything is. They can be very gossipy and intolerant. I'm sure there not all that way though.

Old 03-03-2013, 12:37 PM

797 posts, read 1,145,952 times
( regarding gossip) Whenever someone bashes small towns by saying..........." I don't want my life to be the talk of the town "........I usually respond not to have a lifestyle that makes it worthy of being the talk of the town.

Problem solved !

Old 03-03-2013, 02:17 PM

3,023 posts, read 3,855,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
( regarding gossip) Whenever someone bashes small towns by saying..........." I don't want my life to be the talk of the town "........I usually respond not to have a lifestyle that makes it worthy of being the talk of the town.

Problem solved !
So you have to conform to what the others consider an appropriate lifestyle. No thanks, I will pass on that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living