Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2013, 12:44 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times

Advertisements

Out here on the Texas south plains we have such towns called Plainview and Levelland. The two towns are roughly 80 or 90 miles apart but I think, if you stand on your toes, you can probably see one from the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 11:35 AM

1,472 posts, read 2,405,701 times
Owned this place for 20 years,never had a problem just too hard to get into,this was in the ozarks.Then all of a sudden guy from the city decided he didn't like me there durring Deer Season,I shot him a High price I didn't figure he would pay but he wanted me out so bad he paid it.I wish I had stood firm and not let him bother me.

Well I moved out for couple years but moved back to the area because I Love it so much.

brushrunner

Old 02-23-2013, 12:17 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
If there's an HOA, it's suburban not rural.

The answer to the OP is almost any state except a few very crowded ones if you buy a large enough chunk of land (about 100 acres should do it). That requires more or less money depending on the state. Alaska may be the exception, you could buy an isolated acre or two that's bordered by government land and fly in only.
I think this depends on what you experienced prior to living in a community. There is nothing that dictates rural versus suburban.It is a relative thing, in how one sees something.

To many, yes, something like HOAs put an area out of the rural living classe, to others, when you see no houses for a block or more, you see trees everywhere, barely paved streets, deer, fox, wolfs, squirrels, armadellos, groundhogs, beavers, etc in your back and front yard, you live pretty much in rural areas.

Old 02-23-2013, 05:48 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I think this depends on what you experienced prior to living in a community. There is nothing that dictates rural versus suburban.It is a relative thing, in how one sees something.

To many, yes, something like HOAs put an area out of the rural living classe, to others, when you see no houses for a block or more, you see trees everywhere, barely paved streets, deer, fox, wolfs, squirrels, armadellos, groundhogs, beavers, etc in your back and front yard, you live pretty much in rural areas.
An HOA is initiated and formed by a developer prior to the sale of homes.
It's recorded when the land is subdivided...hence a subdivision.

It's still a subdivision, even out past the city limits which is really different than owning a rural property.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:54 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,912,106 times
I just took another look at a population density map of USA. I am reminded that what you are looking for might be found in southern MO or Northern Arkansas. Some of those counties in the Ozarks have very low population densities. I've traveled through there and I can tell you, you will not see many people. However, there are not many towns and not much for services. I read warning signs in Arkansas that you can be in some places were you are an hour or more from a gasoline station. That's as bad as west Texas. Out here, 30-40 miles between gasoline stations is nothing. NM is even sparser. I've been on stretches where its 90 miles between gas. Which reminds me. Ruidoso, Cloudcroft area of NM is also good. Nice scenery and very quiet. Some people, but hardly crowded.

Old 03-02-2013, 06:40 PM

2,878 posts, read 4,630,860 times
Look into the area around Big Bend National Park in Texas, namely Terlingua. Cheap land, not much going on.
OD

Old 03-02-2013, 07:18 PM

797 posts, read 1,343,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Look into the area around Big Bend National Park in Texas, namely Terlingua. Cheap land, not much going on.
OD

That area got featured in a paperback book written about some of the least populated counties in the US.

The writer concluded ( on the few people he met ) was the men loved living there and the women hated it.

Old 03-04-2013, 05:31 AM

2,878 posts, read 4,630,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
That area got featured in a paperback book written about some of the least populated counties in the US.

The writer concluded ( on the few people he met ) was the men loved living there and the women hated it.
There are quite a few people living (or trying to live) self sustained lifestyles there. Ain't paradise but it fits the criteria the OP wants.

The book is called "Miles from nowhere" by the way, nice read

Thanks,
OD

Old 03-11-2013, 12:39 AM

35 posts, read 71,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
total quiet and see no one for days. Good luck to you.
Oh, I envy you.

Me personally, I'm ready to move to the frickin' moon. It's like the old "the problem with Scotland is that it's full of scots" like from Braveheart? Well, the problem with the world is that it's full of people.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:20 AM

5,234 posts, read 7,985,404 times
HOA's are full of regulations and overzealous people wanting to rule their kingdom. True they would control RV's and trash. Some won't even let an expensive brand new RV park in the owners driveway, of their own bloody house. That's just too much intrusion for me. I'd never want to live in such a place. And dogs still can bark, at least during the day and people still make noise. The kid can still play his music as he sits in the driveway, maybe its not real loud, or play basketball, oh the sound of that ball hitting the backboard a hundred times. If you have your windows open you hear it loud and clear. The husband and wife still may bicker, and you'll have to close the window or go inside to shut them out. There would still be something to irritate you and then you'd have to fight the board to get a change. So I would say cities, neighbors and HOA's are out.

Find yourself some place in the Upper Peninsula (not many people up there), maybe fairly close to Marquette, its a nice town. Lots of trees up there, its really beautiful, get enough land and you won't have any close neighbors. Build a well insulated house and maybe you won't hear wildlife sounds, or some nit-wit hunters waking ya up on a Saturday morning. Get back off the road far enough not to hear kids screaming down the dirt road full speed. Oh, I almost forgot 4 wheelers and snow mobiles.

I like dogs, so I don't mind that, but ya can't choose your neighbors or relatives. So I'm with ya on being away from neighbors. I'm 20 miles from a town but still have a neighbor I can see when i go to the mailbox. Far too close for my liking, especially when they aren't neighborly. I want to move someplace else with more land, God do I want to move, maybe someday. But its still better than the city hassles, another layer of taxes and government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living