U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2013, 03:58 PM

584 posts, read 1,803,667 times

Advertisements

I never thought about the hunters. Guns in the city, guns in the woods. How annoying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 04:25 PM

31,146 posts, read 50,314,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
I never thought about the hunters. Guns in the city, guns in the woods. How annoying.
What do you mean?

As you go more rural, you naturally see more hunters. To the point where 99% of everyone is a hunter.

Hos is that annoying?

Old 03-11-2013, 07:03 PM

2,878 posts, read 3,925,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
What do you mean?

As you go more rural, you naturally see more hunters. To the point where 99% of everyone is a hunter.

Hos is that annoying?
To the people who disagree with hunting - it may be annoying. The noise may be annoying. The trespassing (by some) may be annoying. Etc...

OD

Old 03-11-2013, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
To the people who disagree with hunting - it may be annoying. The noise may be annoying. The trespassing (by some) may be annoying. Etc...

OD
If it is that loud, your not rural.

'Trespassing' is illegal. If someone trespasses on your land, prosecute them. What has that got to do with hunting?

Are you trying to equate trespassing [which is illegal] with hunting? If so then I do not see your agenda here.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:06 AM

Quote:
If it is that loud, your not rural.

'Trespassing' is illegal. If someone trespasses on your land, prosecute them. What has that got to do with hunting?

Are you trying to equate trespassing [which is illegal] with hunting? If so then I do not see your agenda here.
Your definition of rural would not fit too many people in this country.

Hunting is everywhere, I have lived in a few places where it was just a mile or two from a pretty populated area. The hunters get preferential treatment during hunting season, meaning both "them" and "us" are competing for the use of the same space and "they" usually win.

Today, a lot of hunting is a *sport* actively made possible by the sporting/hunting *industry*. It is a business of killing for fun (and sometimes for making a statement) and not feeding oneself and some of us may dislike the idea. I hope we are allowed to have a personal preference

As you can see, no real agenda, just a personal dislike.

OD

Old 03-12-2013, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Your definition of rural would not fit too many people in this country.

Hunting is everywhere, I have lived in a few places where it was just a mile or two from a pretty populated area. The hunters get preferential treatment during hunting season, meaning both "them" and "us" are competing for the use of the same space and "they" usually win.

Today, a lot of hunting is a *sport* actively made possible by the sporting/hunting *industry*. It is a business of killing for fun (and sometimes for making a statement) and not feeding oneself and some of us may dislike the idea. I hope we are allowed to have a personal preference

As you can see, no real agenda, just a personal dislike.

OD
Hunting is popular in rural areas; so of course populated areas are far removed. I am not much aware of what goes on in urban areas. Hunting in an urban area [densely populated] seems wrong to me.

Everyone I know seriously frowns on trophy hunting. I know a lot of hunters, all of whom do it for food.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Hunting is popular in rural areas; so of course populated areas are far removed. I am not much aware of what goes on in urban areas. Hunting in an urban area [densely populated] seems wrong to me.

Everyone I know seriously frowns on trophy hunting. I know a lot of hunters, all of whom do it for food.
Here in TX I live just outside of a small town on 5 acres. My neighbor has 75 acres and they hunt deer, turkey etc. on their property. In fact, anyone with (I believe) more than 10 acres can hunt and shoot on their land. My neighbor has had a few high-power rifle bullets hit their roof and house on a few occasions when their neighbors were hunting.

We have heard shots at night here (hunting). The same has happened when I lived in South Florida. Our small town (unincorporated area) was on the edge of a 60,000 acre wildlife mgmt area which was very popular for deer, waterfowl and wold hog hunting. Needless to say, the hunting season was in the best months of the year for outdoors activities and during hunting days you were not allowed there either on your horse or on foot. The times you were allowed were in the heat of summer (who wants to go then?). So it seems hunters got preferential treatment. Some people say it is because of the licenses that make income for the state but I suspect it is because most state and county officials in these areas are hunters themselves. We regularly found deer carcasses on the side of the road and quite a few times we found people's hunting dogs, dead, on the side of the road, bloated and being eaten by flies and whatever else eats them.

Most people don't hunt for food but for pleasure. I think it's OK to eat what you killed and feed your family and friends but most hunting places I know of around here (in Texas leasing hunting land is a HUGE business) are stocked with exotic species, most of them inedible and only there to be shot for trophies.

Furthermore, people state that deer have overpopulated and are destroying everything and that's a major reason for hunting. However, as soon as predators like wolves or beer start being reintroduced or reappearing - the same people want to hunt them too (not for meat but for fun). So, which one is it? Are we hunting deer for food or sport or because they are a nuisance? If we hunt them because they are a nuisance, why hunt their predators too? Wouldn't we want to have Nature regulate the deer populations, if we (hunters) are truly the conservationists we purport to be?

OD

Old 03-12-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Here in TX I live just outside of a small town on 5 acres. My neighbor has 75 acres and they hunt deer, turkey etc. on their property. In fact, anyone with (I believe) more than 10 acres can hunt and shoot on their land. My neighbor has had a few high-power rifle bullets hit their roof and house on a few occasions when their neighbors were hunting.
Wow, that is too close together, in my opinion.

Bullets hitting homes is wrong. Again just my opinion. If that is accepted in your culture, then great.

Quote:
... We regularly found deer carcasses on the side of the road and quite a few times we found people's hunting dogs, dead, on the side of the road, bloated and being eaten by flies and whatever else eats them.
In this area, any abandoned carcasses are reported to the Warden service, they investigate and prosecute trophy hunters.

Quote:
... Most people don't hunt for food but for pleasure.
Clearly a different culture.

Quote:
... Furthermore, people state that deer have overpopulated and are destroying everything and that's a major reason for hunting. However, as soon as predators like wolves or beer start being reintroduced or reappearing - the same people want to hunt them too (not for meat but for fun). So, which one is it? Are we hunting deer for food or sport or because they are a nuisance? If we hunt them because they are a nuisance, why hunt their predators too? Wouldn't we want to have Nature regulate the deer populations, if we (hunters) are truly the conservationists we purport to be?

OD
Trappers are allowed on my land, they take beaver and sell the pelts. Those carcasses are used for bobcat / lynx trapping. Many of the same people hunt coyote. Again for cash.

Outside of these things that are trapped or hunted for cash, I am not aware of anything being hunted here for trophy. In this culture hunting is for food or cash.

Some years a moose is taken on my land, some years a bear. There is a bear on my land now, I think, waiting for him to get bigger though, I see him sometimes. We have a lot of turkey. More deer are taken each year in our township, then we have people.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Wow, that is too close together, in my opinion.

Bullets hitting homes is wrong. Again just my opinion. If that is accepted in your culture, then great.
Well, I don't like it but I guess people around here don't mind.
OD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living