U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 03:21 PM

584 posts, read 1,803,509 times

Advertisements

Where is the best state and/or city to buy land with a house in the middle and neighbors FAR away. I mean, I'm sick of looking at the neighbors rotting trash pile, or barking dog that runs my fence constantly or the rv camper that is abandoned parked against my fence/back yard on a pile of dirt? I need to be in an area where people take care of their land and no trailer trash and a break from domestic yelling in the front yard and quiet. I'm thinking somewhere with trees or evergreens to cut out the noise pollution from neighbors running leaf blowers all day and night. Blowing leaves out of the driveway at night? Not caring about each other neighborly and all that I am fed up with. I need space. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2013, 03:26 PM

9,200 posts, read 17,047,480 times
If being a good distance from the neighbors is your only criteria you should be able to find that in pretty much every state.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:10 PM

797 posts, read 1,145,551 times
Sadly, I think this has little to do with what STATE you live in, but WHO your neighbors are.

Solutions-----#1--buy where there is an HOA in place
---------------#2--buy ENOUGH acres so there is a buffer

I was going to make a #3 and say check your neighbors out before buying, but you have little control if they SELL to jerks after you move there.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:23 PM

24,841 posts, read 32,882,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmv90 View Post
Where is the best state and/or city to buy land with a house in the middle and neighbors FAR away. I mean, I'm sick of looking at the neighbors rotting trash pile, or barking dog that runs my fence constantly or the rv camper that is abandoned parked against my fence/back yard on a pile of dirt? I need to be in an area where people take care of their land and no trailer trash and a break from domestic yelling in the front yard and quiet. I'm thinking somewhere with trees or evergreens to cut out the noise pollution from neighbors running leaf blowers all day and night. Blowing leaves out of the driveway at night? Not caring about each other neighborly and all that I am fed up with. I need space. Thanks.
We live on 100 acre plot of land...back off the road.

Our place meets most of your needs, still we can hear dogs........and people 1/2 mile down the road can hear our dogs.

Old 02-19-2013, 06:08 PM

12,683 posts, read 17,010,446 times
Some of the least expensive land in the U.S. meets your expectations for space. Right now that exists in areas of nearly every state. Just be sure to move to the side of, or behind, expected growth in that state. If you buy in such an area, also don't expect to make a profit on your real estate purchase in your lifetime.

Personal space in many parts of America is quickly becoming expensive so, if that is what you seek, acquire it quickly.

Old 02-19-2013, 07:14 PM

4 posts, read 5,032 times
I really think that you will be able to find that in any state. Maybe think about what kind of climate you like and narrow it down that way. My aunt lives in Alaska and there are some places up there near her that would meet your req. but if you are not a fan of cold weather then it isn't going to work for you.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:11 PM

18,543 posts, read 55,461,975 times
I'll beg to differ with other posters. I don't think that you need physical space as much as personal space and a MORE restricted environment - one where people cannot do the number of things that seem to set you off. You are a candidate for a HOA or condo. If it continues to upset you as much as you are saying, you also may be a candidate for a heart attack. An RV parked near a fence is not an active intrusion on your space, no matter what condition. Dogs, well I gotta give you that one. Although, if you can't deal with dog noise, chances are you'll hate the sounds of coyotes and owls, or deer eating your shrubs, stinkbug and lady beetle invasions, crop dusting airplanes... No, you REALLY don't want rural life.

Old 02-19-2013, 08:38 PM

797 posts, read 1,145,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
I'll beg to differ with other posters. I don't think that you need physical space as much as personal space and a MORE restricted environment - one where people cannot do the number of things that seem to set you off. You are a candidate for a HOA or condo. If it continues to upset you as much as you are saying, you also may be a candidate for a heart attack. An RV parked near a fence is not an active intrusion on your space, no matter what condition. Dogs, well I gotta give you that one. Although, if you can't deal with dog noise, chances are you'll hate the sounds of coyotes and owls, or deer eating your shrubs, stinkbug and lady beetle invasions, crop dusting airplanes... No, you REALLY don't want rural life.

--" I beg to differ with other posters"--

Only been 5 other posters and one of them--------ME----DID mention HOA'S as his first option.

Old 02-19-2013, 09:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,481 posts, read 41,072,462 times
WA and OR have some pristine HOA in forests.
Some fo the islands in BC and WA are pretty nice and would fit your ideal.

AK would be my choice, but there is LOTS of trailer trash there + LOTS of Lovely getaway's.

Just find a remote lake and get a float plane (or take a LONG hike) and build a log cabin.

Old 02-19-2013, 10:47 PM

18,543 posts, read 55,461,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
--" I beg to differ with other posters"--

Only been 5 other posters and one of them--------ME----DID mention HOA'S as his first option.
Apologies. On first reading of the thread I thought I did see mention of HOAs. I have no idea why I didn't on the second read-through. Mea Culpa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living