Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-24-2007, 11:23 AM

449 posts, read 1,695,939 times

Advertisements

Our family is considering a few places in New England- to move to shortly. Some are smaller - 5-10,000 and a bit remote, no nearby colleges. I have a dd in this age group and I'm wondering what you all do for social stuff in smaller communities.

I know there are some organizations/clubs but usually they're older/married.
If you're not into the local bars or the more extreme outdoor things.

I don't know if it would be easier because its smaller since she's on the introverted side or harder because everyone that age has known each other forever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 11:32 AM

2,736 posts, read 9,657,054 times
My town has just under 4000 people... my gf and I find plenty to do, though admittedly, alot of it is spending time with friends or going out to bars (I'm 26, she's 22). Like alot of places, in the winter it all seems to die down a bit, but the summer time is fun - even just going out for a cup of coffee.

Really, its going to depend on her interests. What are they?

For me, I'm into working on my house and computers (specifically KDE & Linux), so many of my friends are online (due to being worldwide), and I see them maybe once every few years. Others I see monthly in NYC (I'm about 2hrs from the city, but I work there) for a users group meeting. Then theres other really great friends I only see once a year or so. So, it depends on her personality and what she's into.

Old 02-18-2008, 03:06 AM

947 posts, read 3,567,250 times
I'm 24 years old and my career is exactly what my user name sugests... that being said, Im single... and end up living in towns anywhere between 1500 and 15,000.

I usually do fine no matter where I am, I work 10 hours a day usually and am much of a homebody... and the towns I end up in usually have something going on Friday Nights or weekends from late Spring thru Late Fall.

For me, I seem to prefer the towns that usually have between 2500 and 7000 people.. seems just about the right fit in terms of the ease of getting around town, along with services offered (cable tv/internet/phone service) and things to do without the hassle of big town problesm (crime, noise, etc)

As for your daughter, it really depends...... if you end up in a town where everyones friendly, they might try and befriend your daughter, seeing she's new.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living