U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 01:52 PM

18,546 posts, read 55,477,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Maybe we can have a thread where someone can explain to me why it is my responsibility if someone drowns in my unfenced pool and how the American people agreed to this...

OD
I don't think that it takes a whole thread. The basic concept is one of construction. There is a place in Vermont called Huntington Gorge. It is a favorite swimming hole in the summer, but has some treacherous undertows. Over a dozen people have died there over the years, but the landowner is not responsible. The gorge is a natural landscape feature. If, OTOH, he BUILT a stream with a treacherous undertow, or changed an existing stream to have an undertow, he would be responsible if people came to it and drowned. "If you build it, they will come."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 01:57 PM

15,853 posts, read 30,801,218 times
We compost what we can, recycle what we can and burn the rest. That's the beauty of living in the country, you don't have to be dependent upon someone else to remove your garbage.

My advice to the OP would be to keep your garbage container in the garage/by the house, until you need to set it out for the garbage men to pick up.

20yrsinBranson

Old 03-10-2013, 02:08 PM

9,786 posts, read 11,271,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Maybe we can have a thread where someone can explain to me why it is my responsibility if someone drowns in my unfenced pool and how the American people agreed to this...

OD
You don't need a thread for this. Read Mr. Blackstone. It's English Common Law. When I attended high school the teacher talked about it at length when we studied the Constitution. I did attend a private college preparatory school.

English law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

English common law legal definition of English common law. English common law synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

attractive nuisance doctrine legal definition of attractive nuisance doctrine. attractive nuisance doctrine synonyms by the Free Online Law Dictionary.

attractive nuisance | LII / Legal Information Institute

Commentaries on the Laws of England - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-10-2013, 03:19 PM

7,281 posts, read 9,077,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
Here we pay for once a week Trash pick up.Last week end was opening of Trout Season,there is Camping across the road from us,Sunday one group was getting ready to pull out my wife was watching one Guy looking in our Trash Can ,he had a Bag of Trash,our Can was full so he put it in their Dumpster.

brushrunner
Get one of those battery operated stick on the windows alarms. They are very loud. Next time they do this and open the lid will probably be the last. Hopefully they do it in the evening because their next action will be to shower and change their pants and underwear.

If you want something easier, get one of those rubber rattle snakes, a real big fat one. Lay it on top. If you are using someone else's can they'll look inside first to make sure there is room. Video tape the results, it ought to be really funny.

Remove the rubber snake before trash pickup. They'll probably never figure out the snake is fake but none of them are going to try to put trash in there anymore.

Old 03-10-2013, 04:54 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,030,446 times
Well no trouble this weekend.No one there,probably won't be until the end of May when Floating Season starts.

Speaking of Floating Season.Big Notice at all the Outfitters Not Responsible for Injuries or Death once they are on the river and I thought this funny,If a Person Moons or Flashes **** can be Ticketed and have to Register as a Sex Offender.

brushrunner

Old 03-30-2013, 10:33 AM

12,916 posts, read 15,772,666 times
I wouldn't care if someone wanted to put a bag of garbage in my garbage can..not at ALL!!!

Old 03-31-2013, 08:53 AM

2,570 posts, read 2,609,974 times
Yay for the campers for putting their trash into some trash container!

I lived on a ranch for a few years where we had to drive through open state land to get to the house. I signed up with the area trash service and had them put the dumpster at the entrance. I got a call from someone at the state saying I couldn't have it there on public land, but convinced them to let me leave it because the tourists and locals that played on the state land were also using it instead of flinging trash out their windows or stuffing it in draws and under rocks.

It greatly reduced the litter on that land and made it better for everyone. Very small price to pay.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:44 PM

6,046 posts, read 21,865,623 times
I would also feel a little weird about people getting into my trash, although I also see that it may be better than people throwing their trash on the side of the road. The way I see it, the OP has a few options:
1. ignore it, let people do what they will. If this is the route you go, I would make sure that you carefully shred any important papers you throw away.
2. don't set your trash out until trash day, and then bring the container back to the house as soon as possible after pickup
3. put a lock on your can. I don't know how these work but I know I have seen cans/dumpsters with chains and locks on them. You would need to unlock it the day the trash people come, and then lock it back up after. This would be easier than dragging the can back and forth, but the chain/lock might be an expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living