U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2013, 10:29 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,030,826 times

Advertisements

Here we pay for once a week Trash pick up.Last week end was opening of Trout Season,there is Camping across the road from us,Sunday one group was getting ready to pull out my wife was watching one Guy looking in our Trash Can ,he had a Bag of Trash,our Can was full so he put it in their Dumpster.

brushrunner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 10:50 PM

10,953 posts, read 8,840,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
Here we pay for once a week Trash pick up.Last week end was opening of Trout Season,there is Camping across the road from us,Sunday one group was getting ready to pull out my wife was watching one Guy looking in our Trash Can ,he had a Bag of Trash,our Can was full so he put it in their Dumpster.

brushrunner
I don't know.......while I wouldn't be thrilled about someone using the garbage service I paid for, I guess I'd rather they did that than to dump it along the road somewhere - like in front of my property.

Hopefully it is just a one time thing and not something that you have to worry about in the future. I do know that if you get caught dumping garbage in a dumpster or something that you have no right to, you can be charged for "theft of services" (this happened to a friend of mine years ago), so I suppose if it happens a lot and it bugs you enough, you can always take license plate numbers down to your local police department (not something I would do myself).

Last edited by Cinebar; 03-05-2013 at 11:20 PM..

Old 03-05-2013, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I don't know.......while I wouldn't be thrilled about someone using the garbage service I paid for, I guess I'd rather they did that than to dump it along the road somewhere - like in front of my property.

Hopefully it is just a one time thing and not something that you have to worry about in the future. I do know that if you get caught dumping garbage in a dumpster or something that you have no right to, you can be charged for "theft of services" (this happened to a friend of mine years ago), so I suppose if it happens a lot and it bugs you enough, you can always take license plate numbers down to your local police department (not something I would do myself).
Well our Can is about 100 yards from the house and pick up is on Friday I could bring the Can up by the house.I was told us being so close to the Highway durring Summer with so much Alcohol and Drugs around we want to make sure we lock our Doors.We're close to State Park and many come in here on weekends durring the Summer from the cities.

Never locked our Doors before and was only robbed one time and it was by a so called friend that knew our habits.

brushrunner

Old 03-05-2013, 11:47 PM

10,953 posts, read 8,840,322 times
Quote:
Well our Can is about 100 yards from the house and pick up is on Friday I could bring the Can up by the house.I was told us being so close to the Highway durring Summer with so much Alcohol and Drugs around we want to make sure we lock our Doors.We're close to State Park and many come in here on weekends durring the Summer from the cities.

Never locked our Doors before and was only robbed one time and it was by a so called friend that knew our habits.

brushrunner
My garbage pickup is also on Fridays (I just have it picked up every other week because with just the two of us here, we don't have that much garbage). They come between 10:30 and 11:00 and I don't take it down until shortly before then - usually between 10:00 and 10:15.

So, if you continue to have a problem, find out what time they pick up and if they are consistent (my garbage guys are - there's only been one time they caught me off guard by being early) and then just get your can down there just before and then bring it up to the house after they've dumped it.

Mine has to sit down on a narrow, curvy two-lane highway for pick up so I don't like getting it down there too early when it has garbage in it because I don't want it getting hit by a log truck and scattering garbage all over the place. I do leave it down there for a few days after it's been emptied and it usually ends up getting knocked into the ditch before I get it brought up to the house.

I also don't lock my doors; I don't even know where the keys are. I also leave the keys in my vehicles. I do have a gate across my driveway but it doesn't lock or anything.

Old 03-06-2013, 07:14 AM

2,878 posts, read 3,927,056 times
Quote:

brushrunner
Is this camping managed or on self-serve basis or back country camping? Maybe you can work with owners/people in charge to post signs and maybe somewhere where the campers can dispose of the trash? Just a thought...

OD

Old 03-06-2013, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Is this camping managed or on self-serve basis or back country camping? Maybe you can work with owners/people in charge to post signs and maybe somewhere where the campers can dispose of the trash? Just a thought...

OD
Well I say Camping but by the road it is Regular Trailer Houses,just the other side of them is Camp Trailers.It's mostly people durring the Summer.They do use this like a Camp Ground by setting out side by bonfires and such.They have a Big Dumpster by their Store,I'm sure these Guys know this.

I have a Cabin in an area like this about 100 miles from here and our Trash pickup and Shower House is about a mile away.

brushrunner

Old 03-10-2013, 12:33 PM

18,567 posts, read 55,502,062 times
I took this pic at DeSoto State Campground in Alabama a few years back. The dumpsters are within an area only accessible to campers, with the clear intent of the location choice being to make the dumpsters available to campers. Perhaps the dumpster in the OP had a similar sign?

FWIW, I ignored the sign on the dumpster while camping there. The legal term for such misplacement is "attractive nuisance." The common example of such is an unfenced swimming pool, and if a stranger drowns in yours you are legally culpable and responsible. Similarly, if you leave an empty garbage can by the side of the road, people may use it from time to time. It is YOUR responsibility as property owner not to have attractive nuisances and take your garbage can out of public reach between pickups.

Last edited by harry chickpea; 03-10-2013 at 01:35 PM..

Old 03-10-2013, 01:15 PM

2,572 posts, read 2,611,383 times
One of the places I work at shares a road with state land. Towns people come out and use that acreage (7 sections) for recreation. When I arranged for a dumpster for the ranch, I had it placed at the entrance, on the shared road, on land that is actually state land. I got a call from whomever oversees that parcel saying I couldn't place it there. I asked for two weeks before I moved it, took photos of all the trash in there that is not normal household garbage and emailed it to the clerk who contacted me.

She called back and said, "Well, as long as we don't have to pay half!" Very easily worth it to me to not have townies throwing trash on the land or cramming it into draws. We had both before the dumpster was placed.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:34 PM

18,852 posts, read 32,276,175 times
If they don't use your dumpster, they will probably just leave it, and then you will have the trash and skunks, coons, and other pesky critters roaming around.

The "cost" of rural living.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:36 PM

2,878 posts, read 3,927,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
FWIW, I ignored the sign on the dumpster while camping there. The legal term for such misplacement is "attractive nuisance." The common example of such is an unfenced swimming pool, and if a stranger drowns in yours you are legally culpable and responsible. Similarly, if you leave an empty garbage can by the side of the road, people may use it from time to time. It is YOUR responsibility as property owner not to have attractive nuisances and take you can out of public reach between pickups.
Maybe we can have a thread where someone can explain to me why it is my responsibility if someone drowns in my unfenced pool and how the American people agreed to this...

OD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living