U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2013, 11:01 AM

16,305 posts, read 13,792,884 times

Advertisements

It used to be sacks placed on the curb. Now that's changed since everyone was issued a blue cart in a choice of two sizes and charged accordingly every month on the utility bill. The blue cart is rolled out to the street curb once a week. Soon everyone will be issued a cart to place recyclable stuff only.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2013, 11:03 AM

3,748 posts, read 6,289,029 times
I'm in the outskirts, in an unincorporated area, but close enough for pickup. Because I live on property with several other residences, the landlord provides the trash pick-up.
Everyone- all residences that have pick up, get two cans. One for garbage and the other for recyclable materials.
We personally seperate the recyclables that have a CRV (California redemption value). We paid a 'deposit' on the can/bottle and want to get that back. Because we recycle so much, we only need to put our cans out every other week even though the service is weekly.

As far as the facilities, all the trash and recyclables all go to the same place. The public can dump their trash and redeem their recyclables on the same facility as the garbage trucks do.
It's basically just a transfer station. Garbage is compressed and put in a bigger truck trailer and taken someplace, some landfill someplace.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:09 AM

37,143 posts, read 43,064,244 times
I grew up rurally, on a farm, and my parents still live there. There is no township trash pickup available to people on rural routes. We had, and my parents still have, a burn barrel on a far corner of the property for burnable trash. Their trash consists mostly of paper products. There is probably enough non-recyclable plastic trash waste mixed in to make burning not the most environmentally friendly option, but it's just always been the one option for what to do with trash out there. There is no dump. There is a county landfill, but it's for municipalities that do trash pickup for whole towns. You can't individually take your stuff to the county landfill, they only have contracts with waste management companies...who don't do pickups at rural, individual homes, only for towns.

Any foodstuff trash is always disposed of by giving it to livestock as slops, scraps for farm dogs/cats, and/or composted. Recyclables are rinsed out and stored in big bags in the barn/outbuilding until enough are collected to make a run to a recycling center, but it's far away. Everything else? Burn barrel.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:18 AM

797 posts, read 1,145,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
I grew up rurally, on a farm, and my parents still live there. There is no township trash pickup available to people on rural routes. We had, and my parents still have, a burn barrel on a far corner of the property for burnable trash. Their trash consists mostly of paper products. There is probably enough non-recyclable plastic trash waste mixed in to make burning not the most environmentally friendly option, but it's just always been the one option for what to do with trash out there. There is no dump. There is a county landfill, but it's for municipalities that do trash pickup for whole towns. You can't individually take your stuff to the county landfill, they only have contracts with waste management companies...who don't do pickups at rural, individual homes, only for towns.

Any foodstuff trash is always disposed of by giving it to livestock as slops, scraps for farm dogs/cats, and/or composted. Recyclables are rinsed out and stored in big bags in the barn/outbuilding until enough are collected to make a run to a recycling center, but it's far away. Everything else? Burn barrel.

sounds like back at our farm. but they oulawed burn barrels.

Many farmers burn after sunset ( no visible smoke) or use their outside bioler that they heat their house with.

Old 03-07-2013, 11:50 AM

2,867 posts, read 3,045,782 times
I pay a private company so much every 3 months. They pick up whatever I put out short of large appliances, tires, brush, etc, for which there is a recycling center in town.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:50 PM

9,784 posts, read 11,269,350 times
I'm out of town. I pay $94.50 per quarter to a private company for my garbage pick up. The driver drives into my my property about 1/4 mile from the road and dumps my garbage from a dumpster into his truck. There's no problem about items that won't fit in the dumpster. He compacts it and drives away. The dump allows residents to take large items there several times per year for free. There's a charge for additional visits.

I don't believe that there's any recycling in the area as it wouldn't be cost effective. No one uses burn barrels or incinerators as far as I know. We have a new dump that prevents leakage into the ground. There is virtually no litter, even along a major tourist route; people do not dump trash in unofficial dumps.

Old 03-07-2013, 01:37 PM

2,878 posts, read 3,925,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I'm out of town. I pay $94.50 per quarter to a private company for my garbage pick up. The driver drives into my my property about 1/4 mile from the road and dumps my garbage from a dumpster into his truck. There's no problem about items that won't fit in the dumpster. He compacts it and drives away. The dump allows residents to take large items there several times per year for free. There's a charge for additional visits.

I don't believe that there's any recycling in the area as it wouldn't be cost effective. No one uses burn barrels or incinerators as far as I know. We have a new dump that prevents leakage into the ground. There is virtually no litter, even along a major tourist route; people do not dump trash in unofficial dumps.
Freakin' paradise!
OD

P.S. Sorry Happy, couldn't resist

Old 03-08-2013, 11:40 AM

1,237 posts, read 2,760,546 times
Our county has had weekly garbage pickup once a week for about 10 years now. A set number of bags at 50lb. per bag. I recycle a lot, but still have some stuff that I cannot recycle. The garbage pickup is the best thing this county has ever done, in my opinion.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:10 PM

1,379 posts, read 2,722,109 times
We have about one kitchen bag of trash every two weeks. Dog, cat, chickens and compost for leftover food items. We have a transfer station nearby that allows us to recycle almost everything, easily. We, also, are allowed to burn most of the year.
Most of the markets in town have machines to redeem aluminum and liter bottles, for cash.
We don't have much trash along the roads near our home.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:12 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,439,064 times
We contract with the hauler of our choice.
Mine is picked up at the end of the driveway weekly; recyclable once a month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living