U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-21-2013, 09:11 AM
 
742 posts, read 1,090,679 times
Reputation: 345

Advertisements

I think its fair to say small towns are going away and will not return any time soon. We are just too connected with each other for small towns to remain small. they either have cities expand to their borders, or they dissolve or they become cities themselves.

The world of 30 years ago- is gone, whether thats a good or bad thing, I cant say. But i personally lament its passing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-24-2013, 11:10 AM
 
5,239 posts, read 6,871,514 times
Reputation: 11337
But high speed rail won't take ya to the exact place you have to go and that means bus or taxi to reach the final destination. If one worked in downtown KC or St. Louis, it could work. But without excellent in town public transport, I can't see it being worth the cost. And some, maybe most still wouldn't want to live that far from the city. Why move so far away when there are closer small towns outside the metro. I think the area would have to have something to make people commute that far from the city, lakes and other natural beauty. And in that case it might end up a place for just those with money. I've traveled I-70 from KC to St. Louis, much of it isn't what I'd call scenic. And people do like their cars, those that regard their vehicle as a status symbol surely wouldn't want to leave it parked in the garage and take a high speed train.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-25-2013, 10:20 AM
 
Location: Connecticut
274 posts, read 451,489 times
Reputation: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
When I think of suffering towns I think of isolated places in southern central Missouri. When I was looking for a place, after a divorce, I called about a cheap house for sale down in that general area of Missouri. The gal was very nice but very honest, saying you will be picking up cans off the road to make money, as there were just no jobs. She sure talked me out of it. And I would think its worse now for the very tiny towns in large rural counties.
This gets back to the attitudes of the people in the towns that are dying. A real estate agent is supposed to be giving you all the reasons why you WOULD want to buy her clients property, not talk you out of buying it. If she were my real estate agent, she would be fired immediately. I have had the same conversation with some small town real estate agents.

I don't really care about the lack of jobs in a small town because I have a pension. I will also have the money I get when I sell my house in the city. If I want any additional money, I would get back into painting. I would sell my paintings online or take them to a gallery in a large city. All I would want is a quiet place to work. This is all new money that could help a small town if it wasn't for a real estate agent trying to convince me to look someplace else. There are plenty of craftsmen, artists, writers and many other skills that can bring new money into the town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2013, 07:42 AM
 
2,878 posts, read 3,926,100 times
Reputation: 3083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickd203 View Post
This gets back to the attitudes of the people in the towns that are dying. A real estate agent is supposed to be giving you all the reasons why you WOULD want to buy her clients property, not talk you out of buying it. If she were my real estate agent, she would be fired immediately. I have had the same conversation with some small town real estate agents.
I would want my real estate agent to be honest (yeah, right, like that will happen!). If I told my real estate agent that I have a pension, they would probably be OK selling you the house. But, I think they did the right thing by painting a proper picture of the small town for a single woman coming in looking to live there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickd203 View Post
I don't really care about the lack of jobs in a small town because I have a pension. I will also have the money I get when I sell my house in the city. If I want any additional money, I would get back into painting. I would sell my paintings online or take them to a gallery in a large city. All I would want is a quiet place to work. This is all new money that could help a small town if it wasn't for a real estate agent trying to convince me to look someplace else. There are plenty of craftsmen, artists, writers and many other skills that can bring new money into the town.
But the post you replied to is not about you. It was about someone else who obviously needed a job to survive and pay the bills. If there are no jobs in town and the person is not an artist/has no steady stream of income, the real estate agent did the right thing by pointing out the reality of the small town. Not every house in every town is for everyone.

OD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2013, 08:58 AM
 
Location: Connecticut
274 posts, read 451,489 times
Reputation: 272
Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
I would want my real estate agent to be honest (yeah, right, like that will happen!). If I told my real estate agent that I have a pension, they would probably be OK selling you the house. But, I think they did the right thing by painting a proper picture of the small town for a single woman coming in looking to live there.



But the post you replied to is not about you. It was about someone else who obviously needed a job to survive and pay the bills. If there are no jobs in town and the person is not an artist/has no steady stream of income, the real estate agent did the right thing by pointing out the reality of the small town. Not every house in every town is for everyone.

OD

Try to keep up and stay focused. This thread is about why small towns are dying. It isn't about a single woman trying to move to a small town. You are trying to link my post to another thread where there is no connection.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2013, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Morris, MN
133 posts, read 553,456 times
Reputation: 120
Small towns and urban neighborhoods have one thing in common. They change. Economies change. Stop living in the past; the small town will never be the same.

I've lived in both; I've lived declining neighborhoods. I've lived in rural America. Some themes are common: blight and disinvestment. Abandoned businesses, schools, and homes. There's a small town 30 miles south of here who lost a prison four years ago. Loss of 25% - population, occupied homes, businesses, etc.

Small towns need to look around and see what they have to market. If the abandoned school, business, or prison can have another function, repurpose it. Some small towns have cute little downtowns worth preserving if they can get an economy going. Get involved with local politics. Start courting companies to set up shop in the town. Be armed with rent costs, utilitiy fees, and income stats. Keep this in mind, some towns want to live-- but not all. There will likely be resistance from citizens and lawmakers who wish to maintain the status quo. As mentioned earlier, agribusiness does not always change the town for the better. The sad reality is not all small towns are sustainable. Some places near and dear to our hearts are best thought of as memories. Good memories.

Some
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2013, 09:26 AM
 
2,878 posts, read 3,926,100 times
Reputation: 3083
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickd203 View Post
Try to keep up and stay focused. This thread is about why small towns are dying. It isn't about a single woman trying to move to a small town. You are trying to link my post to another thread where there is no connection.
? You are the one who talked about yourself and your pension, not me. This thread was not about you. Someone said that they were happy their "gal" dissuaded them about a house they were going to buy in a small town because there were no jobs in it. You came back and said that a real estate agent was supposed to sell the small town (no matter what). I said that I would want my real estate agent to tell me the truth, regardless of what they are trying to sell. Then you talked about yourself a bit and artists. And I am the one who needs to keep up...

Anyways, the point is this: small towns need to figure out how to "sell themselves" to outsiders. However, the sales pitch has to be based in reality. Otherwise it is just an empty promise - this happens often. People move into a small town based on an image they acquired on their own or someone sold to them. Once they get to the small town they realize what a huge mistake they made. I would rather someone tell me the TRUTH even if it is painful. Knowing that truth, if I am still OK with it, then everything that's better afterwards is just icing on the cake.

OD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-26-2013, 10:04 PM
 
5,239 posts, read 6,871,514 times
Reputation: 11337
But who ya going to pitch it too? In my area there used to be a town with a small private college, then at some point that closed. I see their downtown area now and wonder what it was like then, obviously much better. It's pretty run down and ugly now. Then a minimum security prison took the college campus, the jobs were not high paying but something more for people around the area, thats now gone too. Lots of little towns around, not many businesses looking to relocate to little places 80 miles from a city. This town will stay about the same, but not get better. And creative ideas are a hard sell to the old school thinkers, that either don't really care or have got theirs and don't care past that.

While its the real estate agents job to present a property as best as they can, I wouldn't expect someone to lie about the area either. Also it would be easy to see for ones self if the area looks sad and depressing. From that one assumes little going on, few jobs. She just saved me a trip.

Last edited by todd00; 03-26-2013 at 10:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2013, 08:15 AM
 
2,878 posts, read 3,926,100 times
Reputation: 3083
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
But who ya going to pitch it too? In my area there used to be a town with a small private college, then at some point that closed. I see their downtown area now and wonder what it was like then, obviously much better. It's pretty run down and ugly now. Then a minimum security prison took the college campus, the jobs were not high paying but something more for people around the area, thats now gone too. Lots of little towns around, not many businesses looking to relocate to little places 80 miles from a city. This town will stay about the same, but not get better. And creative ideas are a hard sell to the old school thinkers, that either don't really care or have got theirs and don't care past that.

While its the real estate agents job to present a property as best as they can, I wouldn't expect someone to lie about the area either. Also it would be easy to see for ones self if the area looks sad and depressing. From that one assumes little going on, few jobs. She just saved me a trip.
There are two ways things will go in the long run, in my opinion: in one scenario the government makes a massive investment to bring high speed internet and faster transportation to small towns. This probably hinges on advancements in technology that would make both cheaper. If that happens, small towns have a chance to survive in a connected economy based mostly on the internet. I would be the first one to move to a remote place in the middle of nowhere if I had a fast and stable internet connection and a fast way to reach a city without having to drive my own vehicle for 3 hours.

The other option will be no-investment and the towns that are not near natural beauty linger and linger slowly die or just stay the same.

OD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-27-2013, 08:26 AM
 
Location: Prepperland
14,109 posts, read 10,128,056 times
Reputation: 10376
Dying small towns may be suffering from a cash drought.
It's not that the townspeople suddenly stopped being productive, but without that anchor factory or industry, the means to acquire cash input goes away.

A solution may be in a local medium of exchange, that tracks with the productive output of the local people.
Money is not prosperity. Prosperity is the production, trade and enjoyment of surplus usable goods and services. Doing more with less so more can enjoy eradicates misery. Doing less with more so few can enjoy produces misery.

The local medium of exchange could be a local currency, private promissory notes, or a computer based accounting system that facilitates trade.
Of course, such alternative systems honk off the usurers, but who are they to say whether or not your small town should live or die?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:24 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top