U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 11:13 AM

4,125 posts, read 5,439,290 times

Advertisements

My small town is dying a slow painful death. Just so hard to watch happen...

http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog35167-sebeka-mn-born-1898-died-obit.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2013, 08:45 PM

45,269 posts, read 89,561,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic94 View Post
I wouldnt mind living in one, I did before when I went to college in a small town where the only industry is the small university there. If i can have a decent house, dont have to worry about money, and commute to work in 2 minutes, its good.

but in the news recently, it seems that lots of factories and other companies are shutting down, where the average small town folk goes to work, and its their bread and butter, as their next generation will work there. once those companies are gone, the towns are broke, and the people are broke.

I'm not here to bash small towns, as i see it as a way of life that some folks enjoy, but i guess this is more of a "economy" thread and the health of small towns.
The 3 small towns I live near are all doing okay.

The Main Street's are all open for business and not boarded up, there are Halloween, 4th of July and Christmas parades.

There are nice libraries, active churches, movie theaters, cultural events very regularly, a Wellness Center associated with the little local hospital of one town, 2 nice Rec Centers with an indoor and outdoor pool open to all county residents, local little theater plays - just lots of life and activity.

Sure there is not a high standard of living - and some poverty. But the community cares and pulls together. There's even a free health and dental clinic supported by all volunteer medical professionals and community donations.

There's also a huge push here to remind folks to "buy local!". We do this as much as we can for everything that we can to support the local economy.

My small town and it's nearby neighbors are alive and well

Old 03-27-2013, 10:20 PM

2,878 posts, read 3,926,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The 3 small towns I live near are all doing okay.

The Main Street's are all open for business and not boarded up, there are Halloween, 4th of July and Christmas parades.

There are nice libraries, active churches, movie theaters, cultural events very regularly, a Wellness Center associated with the little local hospital of one town, 2 nice Rec Centers with an indoor and outdoor pool open to all county residents, local little theater plays - just lots of life and activity.

Sure there is not a high standard of living - and some poverty. But the community cares and pulls together. There's even a free health and dental clinic supported by all volunteer medical professionals and community donations.

There's also a huge push here to remind folks to "buy local!". We do this as much as we can for everything that we can to support the local economy.

My small town and it's nearby neighbors are alive and well
Just so we all know what we are talking about: what's the size of the 3 small towns you are talking about? A town with rec centers, indoor and outdoor pools etc. sounds like not so small town to me. Are you by chance in one of them "small" towns that tripled in size with oil and gas invasion?

OD

Old 03-27-2013, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ognend View Post
Just so we all know what we are talking about: what's the size of the 3 small towns you are talking about? A town with rec centers, indoor and outdoor pools etc. sounds like not so small town to me. Are you by chance in one of them "small" towns that tripled in size with oil and gas invasion?

OD
The town closest to me (that my mail comes out of) is a actually a little city of 6000. The next one closest where I attend church is just under 3000 and the largest of the 3 - about a 20 minute drive - has a population of 10,000.

Small town America at it's finest

(And no, not in the oil/gas areas of North Dakota or Texas)

Old 03-28-2013, 03:20 PM

4,125 posts, read 5,439,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
The town closest to me (that my mail comes out of) is a actually a little city of 6000. The next one closest where I attend church is just under 3000 and the largest of the 3 - about a 20 minute drive - has a population of 10,000.

Small town America at it's finest

(And no, not in the oil/gas areas of North Dakota or Texas)

I don't so much think those are small towns. Small cities perhaps.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:12 PM

550 posts, read 1,107,994 times
I've always lived in the country or a small town. The problem with these areas is that there is nothing to do. This is why there is so much drug use and teenage pregnancies. Sure it's a great place to retire but it's not such a good place to be a young adult - at least it's that way for most people.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
I don't so much think those are small towns. Small cities perhaps.
You think 3000 people is a city??

I can see the 10,000 being a "small city".

But the 3000 population and 6000 population is pretty small town to me, lol - though like I said my town of 6000 is known as a "small city" so technically you are correct.

But heck, in some cities the high schools have 3000 students in one school!

Last edited by lovesMountains; 03-28-2013 at 09:42 PM..

Old 03-28-2013, 09:33 PM

31,147 posts, read 50,318,661 times
My high school had well over 3,000 students. That has no bearing on what a small town is.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
My high school had well over 3,000 students. That has no bearing on what a small town is.
Oh good grief

Old 03-28-2013, 09:44 PM

550 posts, read 1,107,994 times
City or town - isn't it just arguing semantics? I grew up in the country between a town (or city) of 17,000+ people and a town of just under 3,000. The closest "city" was about 60,000 - 65,000 people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
How many people were in your town?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living