U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 05:27 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,029,820 times

Advertisements

We just bought our House and needed to get Insurance which we hadn't needed in over 30 years.We called about getting Insurance but couldn't because we was wanting to use Fireplace as supplemental heat,said they hadn't been able to insure anyone for last couple years using wood heat,even a Fireplace.

My wife brought up something today in last few years seen more than normal Houses burning in our area. Had to wonder if it's people switching to Wood Heat and not knowing what they are doing or People no longer able to pay for their place and putting a Match to it or a Little of Both???

brushrunner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 05:59 PM

797 posts, read 1,145,451 times
A little of both where I am.
Some of the idiots burning wood are aking for trouble.

One guy I know runs a stovepipe out the side of his house until he gets enough money to build a chimney.

I expect some morning his "stump" will be found in the ashes of his house.

Old 03-10-2013, 08:07 PM

34,441 posts, read 43,286,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Wolf View Post
A little of both where I am.
Some of the idiots burning wood are aking for trouble.

One guy I know runs a stovepipe out the side of his house until he gets enough money to build a chimney.

I expect some morning his "stump" will be found in the ashes of his house.
If done correctly that's to code. Ceramic thimble through the wall and triple wall stovepipe as the chimney.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:42 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,029,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
If done correctly that's to code. Ceramic thimble through the wall and triple wall stovepipe as the chimney.
No I'm sure he means regular Black Stove Pipe,seen it several times even my Son has done it,I drive by one place all the time,Stove Pipe out the window,not tied up very well.

brushrunner

Old 03-10-2013, 11:15 PM

18,537 posts, read 55,453,855 times
Feh! A few years back, I sold a house. The woman couldn't get insurance unless she replaced the roof (which was well within the lifespan of the shingles). Were people ripping the roofs off houses? What you are experiencing is insurance companies attempting to minimize potential losses to the extreme. Look around for another insurance company. When my insurance wanted to raise rates well above 1% of the potential loss to them, I was very polite in telling them exactly where to stuff it.

Very seriously, if you are not in a position to dictate what YOUR terms are, you don't "own" the house.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:28 AM

The insurance company I had back on the farm was quite reasonable and easy to work with.
They asked that before you installed a wood stove or outside boiler you contacted them and an inspector would come out and advise the safest way of doing it.

The only stipulation they made was not insuring any dwelling burning wood within the house if the owner did not reside there.
Seems most of the problems were coming from rentals.

Regarding financial reasons for houses mysteriously burning down...............I've seen a few. Usually you can tell when no effort is made to clean up the debri after the fire and the city has to do it and bill the property owner.

Old 03-11-2013, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Feh! A few years back, I sold a house. The woman couldn't get insurance unless she replaced the roof (which was well within the lifespan of the shingles). Were people ripping the roofs off houses? What you are experiencing is insurance companies attempting to minimize potential losses to the extreme. Look around for another insurance company. When my insurance wanted to raise rates well above 1% of the potential loss to them, I was very polite in telling them exactly where to stuff it.

Very seriously, if you are not in a position to dictate what YOUR terms are, you don't "own" the house.

My insurance company back on the farm was a Mutual INSURANCE COMPANY.
We got to elect the board members.

I guess I didn't want to see my rates go up because a few members were careless with their wood stoves. I was glad we had insurance inspectors.

Old 03-11-2013, 11:42 AM

18,537 posts, read 55,453,855 times
What home insurance was and what it is now are two entirely different things. The insurance companies today are actively engaged in cherry-picking and refusing to insure based on the flimsiest of reasons, and many mutual insurance companies shifted over to for-profit companies. When a homeowner with a mortgage gets desperate because of the "must have insurance" clause in the mortgage agreement, they eventually find a company, only to have it raise rates or find a reason to drop them a few years into the policy.

Note that the mere existence of a wood-burning fireplace was enough to deny coverage. Try to get insurance on a home that isn't occupied sometime. On the other side of the coin, there are homeowners who build their homes on the shifting sands of barrier islands and expect insurance to help them rebuild.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:21 PM

31,146 posts, read 50,304,308 times
I routinely hear of folks around here whose previous insurance company will drop them, because of their woodstove.

Some insurance companies allow woodstoves and some do not.

If someone drops you, then you get to shop around.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:46 PM

1,379 posts, read 2,721,604 times
We were told that we needed to get a full copper re-pipe, in my parent's home, before they would insure it. There is nothing wrong with the plumbing. I called my personal agent. No problem...they took care of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living