U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 10:16 PM

18,852 posts, read 32,270,491 times

Advertisements

I live in a very small town. So small, that if you break up with a guy, that everyone knows, and there are only three other single guys in the town. You go to the VFW, and everyone knows you.

I am okay with it. I don't really care. I work, exercise, and there is no place to spend money here. Church is a big social event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 11:58 PM

550 posts, read 1,107,994 times
tazymae2010: You've only been there 3 months? That's seems to be a difficult transition time for most people. I think it takes at least a year to really settle in and get used to a different state. I'd try to stick it out another 9 months. If you still feel the same way then, I doubt you will have any regrets about moving back.

What part of KY are you from? I work in west KY.

Old 04-08-2013, 07:36 AM

149 posts, read 295,316 times
My husband and I are from Corbin,Ky.and hope to move back a.s.a.p.we have lived in Tn. away from family for 20years.
We are only 1 and half hr. away and go to visit family several times a year but still never get to spend enough time.
Corbin is a nice midsize town lots to do there.I dont know how far away Corbin would be from your family.
Theres Bingo,Cumberland Falls State Park,a new place called The Arena with Big Star concerts.White Water Rafting for beginners also,Flea Markets,close to Renfro Valley a large Water Park in nearby Williamsburg Ky.
My family also runs a great resturant and Jewelry Store on Main St.Corbin.Seasons Resturant!If you get a chance check out Corbin..Being close to family for us is the MOST important thing in life.Wishing you well...

Old 04-10-2013, 02:05 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,413,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVAunit1981 View Post
tazymae2010: You've only been there 3 months? That's seems to be a difficult transition time for most people. I think it takes at least a year to really settle in and get used to a different state. I'd try to stick it out another 9 months. If you still feel the same way then, I doubt you will have any regrets about moving back.

What part of KY are you from? I work in west KY.
I agree with the advice. Another thought is why not try a motorhome for a couple of years?

uh

Old 04-11-2013, 01:47 AM

5,876 posts, read 5,358,268 times
On the other hand, if you've made the decision to back, there are lots of things to keep busy with even in very small towns.

Towns ALWAYS need people to serve on boards - the park/recreation board (yes, there's one even in my current town of 965), water board, library board, zoning commission. Shoot - run for City Council!

And small towns usually have one or two major EVENTS a year - big craft show? Christmas or 4th of July parade? Help is always needed to raise money or to set up and take down, and planning usually starts way in advance.

Speaking of fundraising, does your town need new playground equipment? Gazebo need refurbishing? Town square need flowers? Get out there with some other friends and raise the money to accomplish this.

Plant some flowers in a nice place, and keep up with watering the flowers! County Extension runs Master Gardener programs in most states.

If your town is big enough to have a humane society, library, and/or museum, these organizations always need volunteer help.

As do the schools - they often have programs for older folks to come in and help the little ones with reading and so on.

Be a girl or boyscout or 4-H leader!

There's always Meals on Wheels which needs drivers to deliver meals to shut-ins. Or just go visit shut-ins on your own, doesn't have to be in an organized way.

Libraries or bookstores often have book discussion groups. Community centers, libraries, museums, and craft stores often have knitting/sewing or other craft classes.

Kentucky is beautiful - take some time to just go to a nearby park and go walking or camping. State and local parks have all kinds of fun programs. My state park system has programs just for women to learn how to fish/hunt/snowshoe, etc.

In the teeny town where I live now, walking is big. Get some of your relatives to go walking with you around your small town every day. Take pictures. Put a video of yourselves up on Youtube.

Organize a quilting group. Make quilts for the local hospital. Take a trip to Paducah!

There's always a ton of stuff to do, even in a teeny town.

Old 04-11-2013, 03:21 AM

5,284 posts, read 18,143,636 times
We moved (retired) to Kentucky almost 5 years ago...our kids are all over the country....we love it here! It took us about 2 years before we felt like this was home....making new friendships, figuring out the lay of the land, feeling established.....my husband and I are native So. Californians....the biggest negative for us is the winter....we are so happy it is spring and warm.....but life is good here....good friends, our kids love to visit, the natural beauty is amazing.

To the Op...you may want to give it another year and make a bigger effort to make friends, volunteer, find a nice church, take up gardening, hiking, biking, kayaking, take a class at a local college, fix up your house...there is so much to do if you put your mind to it.

We do miss our family but we see them a couple times a year and talk to them all thd time. The oldest grandchildren ....the ones old enough to travel...they love visiting us without their parents...even our 15 year old grandson....my oldest granddaughter is 12....she emailed me the other night to tell me she is coming for a 2 week visit...as she did last summer...those are special times when we can have her all to ourselves and spoil her.
Seriously....retiring across the country has been an adventure...my husband and I have had a wonderful time together....it is normal to be homesick for a while.

Last edited by Cattknap; 04-11-2013 at 03:32 AM..

Old 04-12-2013, 02:55 AM

7,774 posts, read 13,226,987 times
I've told people before that there are 120 counties in the Commonwealth of Kentucky. Everybody who wants to move back should find at least one that suits their needs and desires.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I live in a very small town. So small, that if you break up with a guy, that everyone knows, and there are only three other single guys in the town. You go to the VFW, and everyone knows you.

I am okay with it. I don't really care. I work, exercise, and there is no place to spend money here. Church is a big social event.
Jasper, my grandfather was a newspaper publisher and nationally syndicated columnist from Mayfield for several years before his death in 1938. You talk about how news gets around a small town. he said if you decide to go somewhere by train on the weekend, you better put on your best clothes and shine up your Sunday shoes because everybody in town will be there to see who's going somewhere and who's coming to town. lol

Kind of off topic but he had one thing in his newspaper column that gave me a little giggle. One night he had to take the train from Mayfield to Paducah. For the entire trip there was a moth flying around the one light bulb in his train car. What my grandfather was wondering, did that moth fly to Paducah or did it ride to Paducah? lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living