U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2013, 11:42 AM

154 posts, read 326,409 times

Advertisements

Well, my husband and I finally moved to FL and we found out it wasn't all it was cracked up to be. I love FL BUT I miss my family and I didn't think I would. My question is, we are moving back to our small town, no stoplite small town. If others have been in this position please tell me how I can enjoy my time there and not want to go somewhere else. I know, hobbies, etc. but I'm not sure I'll know what to do with myself when I move back. I had wonderlust to go somewhere before I die but now I want to go home. What do other people do to enjoy their time in a small town ? Bingo, no homemakers no
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2013, 12:33 PM

4,114 posts, read 9,359,622 times
I too am from Kentucky. Born and raised. I moved from KY to California. While I love California and think it's an amazing state, I'm finding out that at least the San Francisco Bay Area isn't all it's cracked up to be after 1.5 years here.

I like many of the towns, the coastline, the SF architecture and neighborhoods, the "laid back-ness" of Oakland, the roadside fresh produce stands, organic this and that, Stanford's campus, BART (subway system)...there are MANY great attributes to this area. However, the people here are difficult to get to know--very unfriendly--and I miss my family in Kentucky sometimes.

However, I would rather not move back to Kentucky right now. I'm planning to move to the Los Angeles area this fall, so I've been taking some scouting trips in so doing. I might move back at some point, but as a 20-something male that does not want to get married so early, as is so common there, one perk of living in California is that you're almost a pariah if you're married before age 30.

So, the question for you is this: Are you moving back to Kentucky because it's your comfort zone? Because many Kentuckians do--or they just never leave because they "don't want to live anyplace else." Or, is the quality of life and what best suits you and your husband in a community best found in Kentucky?

Old 03-20-2013, 12:37 PM

It IS our comfort zone..my family is there and I didn't think it would affect me like it did. But my focus has changed meaning I WANT to be near them and do things with them. Thank for your insight.

Old 03-20-2013, 02:57 PM

1,856 posts, read 3,052,016 times
we relocated from Georgia to Michigan...and although I love the weather, the people, the schools, my job. I really miss my family. Its like something is missing and I cant get comfortable. I want to buy a house here but then I don't. I don't know its very confusing.

Old 03-20-2013, 06:19 PM

Comfort and security mean a lot especially when you leave it. This move even though it has only been 3 months has changed me somewhat. I guess I have gotten FL out of my system except to vacation. If you WANT to buy a house in Michigan then you must like some things well enough to house hunt. I feel as though I am "hanging". Very strange. I just want to go home and we will be moving in May and I feel good and excited about it. Good luck in your decision.

Old 03-21-2013, 08:27 AM

1,856 posts, read 3,052,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tazymae2010 View Post
Comfort and security mean a lot especially when you leave it. This move even though it has only been 3 months has changed me somewhat. I guess I have gotten FL out of my system except to vacation. If you WANT to buy a house in Michigan then you must like some things well enough to house hunt. I feel as though I am "hanging". Very strange. I just want to go home and we will be moving in May and I feel good and excited about it. Good luck in your decision.

thanks for the pep talk...hope things go well with your move

Old 03-21-2013, 08:52 AM

7,770 posts, read 13,221,396 times
I was born and raised and graduated from the same town in W. Ky. Except for a few quick side trips, I've lived my whole life (so far!) in Kentucky. I recently moved back to my hometown after 35 years. Main reason was to take care of my dad, but I've always thought about moving back here to Mayfield. My wife was fine with it. There are always people who do nothing but run down Kentucky living, but it's their loss. I love it! And what to do in a small town? Check the papers. Listen to the local radio station. Just keep an ear out for things going on. Not sure of your age, but if you're older, there's always people gathering at the Senior Citizen's Center. My dad went there a few times for a very good lunch and noticed the pool table and all the card tables. If you go to church, volunteer there. If you want to find something to do in a small town, you can find it. Welcome back to Kentucky!

Old 03-21-2013, 06:25 PM

Thank you, somehow KY just stays in your blood. I can't wait to get back home. We are in our 60's but not yet ready for Senior Centers, plenty of time for that. We will still travel some. The Smokies were some of our best trips. Fl will still be on our list as well but home is home.

Old 03-23-2013, 03:40 PM

2,952 posts, read 6,222,598 times
Quote:
Speaking from experience of moving away from the ol' hometown, you need to give it a little time. I know EXACTLY how you feel - I have been there!

Moved from hometown in MI to NE OH in 2007
Moved from NE OH to NW OH in 2008
Moved from NW OH to NC in 2009
Moved from NC back to hometown in MI 2012

All these moves taught me that I do love my hometown, but not enough to make it my permanent home. Of all the places I lived, my favorite was NE OH. Just loved it out there, and would move back in a heartbeat if I could.

It takes a good 6-12 months to get over homesickness and start to get comfortable in the new place. At that point, you'll know if it is a good fit. My moves have taught me an appreciation of being within reasonable driving distance to the family, but far enough away that my trips home are considered 'special' so that the family takes time to actually visit with me.

If you do head back to KY, try out a bigger city within a 2 hour radius of home to see if that suits you better?

Old 03-27-2013, 09:02 PM

7,596 posts, read 7,233,914 times
Default Back to KY

Quote:
Thank you, somehow KY just stays in your blood. I can't wait to get back home.
We've been gone from KY for 20 years now. Sometimes I miss my family and old friends there. And we do visit every few years or so. But then I hear about the rotten weather happening there, and I'm fine where I am now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living