U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2013, 02:03 PM

8,260 posts, read 15,233,160 times

Advertisements

We moved from a large city (NYC) to way out in the county. Foxy is more in town than we are. We don't own a dog for much the same reason as the OP -- we travel often. As yet, we don't have a gun either. I know the gun is coming soon. The dog issue I took care of by becoming a foster! I get the enjoyment out of having a wonderful, make-me-laugh silly goof of a dog yet there's a back up net for when we travel. The last time we travelled, I came home to find out that the babysitters decided to adopt her! I couldn't be more pleased, except I miss the crap out of her - she is the most special dog ever and the one reason I'm not upset is because I know where she is, is the best for her.

So become a foster - it's a win/win solution to the dog issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2013, 08:50 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,030,826 times
Moved to a very isolated area and went to local store,first thing the woman running the store told me that if she was me she would be packing at all times.She said around here we make our own Law,if you see something don't be calling no Law,if you have trouble get the word out it will be taken care of.She had 5 pistols within reach at all times.

I took her advice and had to pull 3 times before I left the area.

brushrunner

Old 04-27-2013, 04:12 PM

2,759 posts, read 4,430,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
Moved to a very isolated area and went to local store,first thing the woman running the store told me that if she was me she would be packing at all times.She said around here we make our own Law,if you see something don't be calling no Law,if you have trouble get the word out it will be taken care of.She had 5 pistols within reach at all times.

I took her advice and had to pull 3 times before I left the area.
Wow, rough town. We only carry when we go to the city, and only sometimes. No need for a gun in town here (most people don't even lock their doors), but nearly everyone owns guns for hunting and bear/wolf protection. A good dog can be a bear deterrent as well, and is just a good companion in general.

If you don't have any need for guns or dogs, or they don't fit your lifestyle, don't worry about it. Just move to your new town with your ears open more often than your mouth, at least at first.

Old 05-24-2013, 12:47 PM

374 posts, read 444,453 times
Country is not what it use to be far as robberies.Teens and young people are bad about breakins in rural areas.And of course its never 'our' kids that do this until they are caught.

If you don't like guns,then you may want to think twice about moving to the country.Most own guns and are always firing off to 'get their aim' for hunting season or just to keep guns in firing condition.

A rude awakening to live where sometiems its like beign in war zone far as guns going off.When we first moved here hubbys horse almost jumped in his lap while he was cleaning his hooves! Our horse and donkey kicked up and stayed on edge the frist year.So did I! I told hubby we made a terrible mistake,and we were both from gun owning parents,but had more land so the sound was'nt as threatening when we were kids.

Now I would'nt want to live anywhere that people did'nt have guns and know how to use them.This nation has gotten so violent and dangerous in so many ways.Far as snakes go,grew up in Stone Mountain Ga.More snakes than you can shake a stick at.Swam with water moccasins,rattlers and jumped over many others runnign through the woods.Only one ever got bit was mother,it hit her when she pressed in the clutch where it was laying in the floor board,huge rattler but she lived but had some bad scars on her leg.Snake bits don't usually kill people.She only shot them when they came near in an agressive way.Otherwise we stand still and let them be.

Now the sound of guns firing is music to our ears.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:04 PM

12,918 posts, read 15,776,377 times
Lived away from cities all my life....can't imagine it without at least one dog and a rifle...wouldn't want to.

Old 05-25-2013, 03:27 PM

40,290 posts, read 41,843,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
No dogs because we go away for two months a year and that would be complicated for the dog.

No guns because we've never used one in our lives, live in Canada, and don't really want to use one.

Practically everyone we've seen has one or the other, or both.

My question is - is country living really that dangerous?

PS: Would appreciate any random advice for a wet-around-the-ears young couple moving to the countryside for the first time ever.
We have both dogs and gun. Some people don't keep dogs necessarily for protection but they are certainly nice to have around to alert you to someone coming onto their property. They are pets, depends on the location. Mine would kill you with kindness... Actually bit of an issue becsue I have concerns about them running up to someone that might be afraid of dogs.

As far as the guns go I hear guns shots all the time where I live especially around hunting season. Crime is non existent in my area and we are going to keep it that way. If you have concern about guns overall I'd urge you to research the area before moving there.

Old 05-25-2013, 04:35 PM

20,494 posts, read 38,417,337 times
When we moved to the country, there was dove hunting on both sides of us (plus we turned out to be on a helicopter practice route for Fort Hood, so they were coming over low and loud, not all the time, but randomly). I thought maybe our horses would react badly, but they didn't even flicker an ear, maybe because we weren't particular upset about it and didn't condsider it akin to "being in a war zone" (though with the helicopters it would be more like one, I'd think), and my horses consider me to be lead mare (and horses are very good at picking up on silent signals) and thus someone was in charge and they didn't have to worry about it unless and until I said worry.

We don't have a problem with crime around here, though with the development going in nearby and folks from town moving out here I do wonder if it's going to get worse. Even with a prison being 12 miles away, and us living on the most direct and safe route from the prison to the highway, in the 16 years we've been out here I've heard of one break-in, and in that case the occupant of the house shot the intruder when he was coming through the window. I'm 5'2", in my 60's, and feel quite safe when I'm out here alone.

Old 05-26-2013, 11:23 AM

31,151 posts, read 50,332,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
... My question is - is country living really that dangerous?

PS: Would appreciate any random advice for a wet-around-the-ears young couple moving to the countryside for the first time ever.
I am not sure about the context of 'dangerous'.

Are we a cancer hot-spot? No.

Is there a greater concern for lightning strikes? No.

Homicides are less, burglaries are less, traffic accidents are less, home break-ins are less; so if you mean danger from crime, then, No.

In the past 6 months I have seen a bear on my land twice. Moose are a common sight, we saw one yesterday. Deer are common, fox, eagle, hawks, bobcat, etc.

I have never shot a bear, or a moose, or even a deer. We allow friends to hunt on my land though.

I do shoot at fox, coyote, and fishercats. Because they are predators that kill my poultry.

None of these animals present any direct 'threat' to me, so I see no real danger in them.

I have dogs and an assortment of firearms. I am not sure I know what you mean when you say 'dangerous'; and why this 'danger' would be in the same context as dogs and guns?

Old 09-30-2013, 05:51 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,160,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I am not sure about the context of 'dangerous'.

Are we a cancer hot-spot? No.

Is there a greater concern for lightning strikes? No.

Homicides are less, burglaries are less, traffic accidents are less, home break-ins are less; so if you mean danger from crime, then, No.

In the past 6 months I have seen a bear on my land twice. Moose are a common sight, we saw one yesterday. Deer are common, fox, eagle, hawks, bobcat, etc.

I have never shot a bear, or a moose, or even a deer. We allow friends to hunt on my land though.

I do shoot at fox, coyote, and fishercats. Because they are predators that kill my poultry.

None of these animals present any direct 'threat' to me, so I see no real danger in them.

I have dogs and an assortment of firearms. I am not sure I know what you mean when you say 'dangerous'; and why this 'danger' would be in the same context as dogs and guns?
Simplistically, I think city dwellers tend to think of "danger" in terms of their fellow man. We country folk tend to think of it more in terms of Mother Nature and survival of the fittest! But admittedly, some varmints are of the two-legged variety.

Old 09-30-2013, 09:49 AM

31,151 posts, read 50,332,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
Simplistically, I think city dwellers tend to think of "danger" in terms of their fellow man. We country folk tend to think of it more in terms of Mother Nature and survival of the fittest! But admittedly, some varmints are of the two-legged variety.
Oh, I see.

City folks are more worried about armies amassing across the border preparing to march on us.

I can see that. I guess.

Canadians are pretty scary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living