U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2013, 02:05 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,736,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly1 View Post
Simplistically, I think city dwellers tend to think of "danger" in terms of their fellow man. We country folk tend to think of it more in terms of Mother Nature and survival of the fittest! But admittedly, some varmints are of the two-legged variety.
My experience is opposite, with city folks seeing danger in wild animals and spaces, and country folks seeing more danger on the human front and in high population areas. For most country folk, natural dangers are fairly predictable and mitigating them just takes some basic knowledge and forethought; while human dangers are not as predictable and thus harder too mitigate.

As Submariner has, I also have bear and moose and wolves and all manner of wild critters on my property; but they rarey pose a danger to me and I feel relatively safe. I didn't feel that way when I lived in town. I'd rather meet a bear in the woods at night than an armed stranger in a dark alley.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 02:26 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,736,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
My question is - is country living really that dangerous?

PS: Would appreciate any random advice for a wet-around-the-ears young couple moving to the countryside for the first time ever.
For the most part, no, it's not dangerous... if you follow some basic rules.

Animal attacks can be a huge problem if you're not familiar with their behavior and instincts, and you do things to draw them to you or make them act unnaturally -- leaving garbage or food around, not leaving them wild spaces to live and hide in, not making it difficult for them to prey on your livestock, panicing when you encounter them, etc.

Become familiar with the weather in your area and pay attention to it. Make sure you're always prepared for the type of weather you're likely to experience, and prepare for the worst case. If you get hellacious snowstorms in your area, prepare for isolation and brutal conditions for several weeks (not just days) and prepare for a storm to happen early or late (not just in season). If you live in tornado or hurricane country, make sure you pay attention to the wind and clouds, and don't wait until it's right on top of you to secure your homestead... the worse you lose is a day by battening down the hatches if the storm passes you by, but if the storm doesn't pass you and you didn't prepare then everything you care about coud be dead and destroyed. Same goes for forest fires and the like.

Pay attention to safety and illness. If you're out in the boonies, you often don't have the luxury of immediate medical attention. Take extra precautions when doing dangerous tasks, and always be safety-minded. If you're sick or hurt and it doesn't clear up in a day or two, get to the doc before it gets worse, or at least let someone know to come check on you soon. This is especially important during the hard season.

The biggest danger is not shifting your mentality from town living where everything is close and available... out in the country, aid and emergency services may not be available or may take a very long time to reach you, so you can't afford to take your safety for granted. You must be proactive, not reactive. I see more town folks come out here and get into trouble simply because they forget that they can't just call 911 or pop over to the corner store 24/7. They don't prepare soon enough for long enough, and they take unnecessary risks doing things that are much safer done other ways.

P.S. You don't need to tote a gun around with you everywhere or own a personal armory; but it is advisable to have a shotgun and a hunting rifle for personal safety, both of which are still legal in Canada

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 09-30-2013 at 02:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living