U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 10:47 PM

3,276 posts, read 3,814,338 times

Advertisements

No dogs because we go away for two months a year and that would be complicated for the dog.

No guns because we've never used one in our lives, live in Canada, and don't really want to use one.

Practically everyone we've seen has one or the other, or both.

My question is - is country living really that dangerous?

PS: Would appreciate any random advice for a wet-around-the-ears young couple moving to the countryside for the first time ever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 11:07 PM

20,488 posts, read 38,404,041 times
Well, we have guns, and I've known how to shoot since I was 8, even when I was a city slicker. But I've only used a gun for target practice (fun!) and to shoot snakes (I get along with them just fine until they start invading the homestead and biting my dogs and horses and eating my chickens and then all bets are off).

The dogs are for the simple joy of it, and we've had dogs in town, too, though from a country perspective it's nice to have a doorbell that starts "ringing" when someone starts driving down the quarter mile drive, allowing me to get decent before they arrive at the front door. And to discourage critters like raccoons and such that like to come visiting sometimes too much.

Old 04-17-2013, 07:35 AM

1,344 posts, read 2,575,732 times
I'd say country living is less dangerous compared to living in a city. Guns and dogs are because out here, you're pretty much on your own. You call 911 in the city and they're there in a couple minutes. Out here, it may be 30 minutes to an hour.

As for advise, I'd suggest two things to start.
- Meet and try to befriend your neighbors.
- Realize things are done a bit differently in the country. Accept it.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:45 AM

1,229 posts, read 1,160,288 times
Dogs and guns in the country are usually less about personal protection and more about hunting and/or protecting livestock and sometimes oneself from certain wild animals.

In our experience, country living is far safer than city living and we much prefer it. Two-legged predators are the worst and far more prevalent in "civilzation."

Old 04-17-2013, 09:22 AM

16,789 posts, read 10,703,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Well, we have guns, and I've known how to shoot since I was 8, even when I was a city slicker. But I've only used a gun for target practice (fun!) and to shoot snakes (I get along with them just fine until they start invading the homestead and biting my dogs and horses and eating my chickens and then all bets are off).

The dogs are for the simple joy of it, and we've had dogs in town, too, though from a country perspective it's nice to have a doorbell that starts "ringing" when someone starts driving down the quarter mile drive, allowing me to get decent before they arrive at the front door. And to discourage critters like raccoons and such that like to come visiting sometimes too much.

if you've got snakes big enough to eat chickens, I will never ever go to Texas again!

Old 04-17-2013, 10:46 AM

9,200 posts, read 17,049,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctic_gardener View Post
No dogs because we go away for two months a year and that would be complicated for the dog.

No guns because we've never used one in our lives, live in Canada, and don't really want to use one.

Practically everyone we've seen has one or the other, or both.

My question is - is country living really that dangerous?

PS: Would appreciate any random advice for a wet-around-the-ears young couple moving to the countryside for the first time ever.
You've got it backwards. People don't necessarily NEED guns and dogs when they live in the country, although either or both are a good idea in some areas for various reasons.

The truth is, people who enjoy guns and dogs tend to gravitate toward the country so they can enjoy them without the restrictions of city ordinances.

Rest assured, many people live in the country without either a dog or a gun.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:59 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,359,322 times
I'm a bit confused......... Are you talking about living IN Canada, in the country?

Or are you asking about living in The States, in the country ?

Please clarify your question ?

Jim B

Toronto.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:53 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,735,734 times
I guess it all depends on how "country" is your country. If you live farther out, then dogs and guns are a good idea for protection against animals (more than people).

Old 04-18-2013, 04:56 PM

17,091 posts, read 22,609,680 times
Rural Canada has as many guns and dogs as rural parts of the U.S.

Old 04-18-2013, 07:37 PM

10,234 posts, read 14,174,997 times
I grew up in Central California and I'd say that the majority of rural-dwellers own guns. Our family always did. And considering the ever-diminishing list of "allowed" guns in California, I'd say that many of them may even possess varieties that are no longer legal.

Farmers always have to protect their animals and livestock. And emergency response is always slower in the rural areas, so many people take responsibility to arm themselves. In Cental California theft and home invasions are aggressive, and rural areas are popular targets because they're less visible. Country dwellers tend to be a lot less reliant on emergency response than town folk because they have to be.

But not everyone in the country possesses guns. Now, a place without dogs is harder to find. Country people just like dogs; however, dogs also serve a purpose as protectors, and even assist with moving cows in pastures. But I don't think you'll feel out of place not having either, and I think your neighbors will be fine with that. Just be respectful of their rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living