U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-26-2013, 10:52 PM
 
1,472 posts, read 2,030,638 times
Reputation: 1152

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
That's odd... but you could still sell it to the neighbor for $1.
That sh/would address the legal principles involved.

Meanwhile... do something to better mark those pins.
Maybe plant some specimen trees or erect some tall poles with bat boxes.
Yea I'm going to mark the Pins with 5 foot T Post.

brushrunner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-27-2013, 07:00 AM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,500 posts, read 41,092,490 times
Reputation: 25073
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
Yea I'm going to mark the Pins with 5 foot T Post.

brushrunner
consider a more distintive option. (T post looks like any other fence post and EZ to bend or remove.)

I use ~3"-6" Heavy wall pipe~ 10ft long (4' in the ground) and paint them white
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2013, 11:13 AM
 
Location: southwest TN
8,260 posts, read 15,230,371 times
Reputation: 15141
It just sounds to me as though you don't care about making enemies out of several neighbors. I'm sure there is a more friendly way to solve the issues of shed and drainage pond. Good luck to you making friends in your new neighborhood and town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2013, 12:01 PM
 
Location: Oregon
1,379 posts, read 2,722,719 times
Reputation: 1020
I was reading a little about the Missouri regulations on Lagoons. I see that the sewage first goes into a septic tank, then into an above ground lagoon, rather than leach fields, like we have.
Do you each have your own septic tank, OP?
So, if you need to have at least 3 acres for a lagoon, when the original owner parceled up the property, they needed to keep one piece (yours) large enough to legally hold the lagoon? It seems that they should have kept the lagoon section as some sort of community property, which gives you all access and responsibility for upkeep. Instead you got it. How did they get away with that. The smaller parcels can't legally have their own lagoons or leach fields. What are they supposed to do.
Maybe I have this all mixed up. Just trying to grasp what your situation really is. I think the shed is the least of your problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2013, 05:37 PM
 
1,472 posts, read 2,030,638 times
Reputation: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadylady View Post
I was reading a little about the Missouri regulations on Lagoons. I see that the sewage first goes into a septic tank, then into an above ground lagoon, rather than leach fields, like we have.
Do you each have your own septic tank, OP?
So, if you need to have at least 3 acres for a lagoon, when the original owner parceled up the property, they needed to keep one piece (yours) large enough to legally hold the lagoon? It seems that they should have kept the lagoon section as some sort of community property, which gives you all access and responsibility for upkeep. Instead you got it. How did they get away with that. The smaller parcels can't legally have their own lagoons or leach fields. What are they supposed to do.
Maybe I have this all mixed up. Just trying to grasp what your situation really is. I think the shed is the least of your problems.
Well all I know is I'm the only one with a Legal Lagoon.How they got away with Lagoons I have no idea.One neighbor knows she is illegal,she is trying to sell her place,which is going to be hard considering she don't have a septic system and can't get one.From what I understand they can have one long as they are here on a seasonal bases.

The one Lagoon I found I have to get the Health Department on.

brushrunner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2013, 09:43 AM
 
Location: South Portland, ME
894 posts, read 1,036,217 times
Reputation: 891
Quote:
My Neighbor is claiming ownership of the Shed but its clearly on my property.He was going to move it or tear it down ,which would be illegal being mine.To make it easier I told him I would sell him that section.He agreed but this has been 3 months and he has not got back with me.
I don't understand - his shed is on your property and he was offering to tear it down, why not let him?

Seems like you have caused this situation to get worse by being greedy and trying to make him either buy some land from you or give you the shed instead of just recognizing that he accidentally built it on the wrong side of the line and letting him move it to his side or take it down completely.

Last edited by JoulesMSU; 04-28-2013 at 09:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2013, 09:08 PM
 
1,472 posts, read 2,030,638 times
Reputation: 1152
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
I don't understand - his shed is on your property and he was offering to tear it down, why not let him?

Seems like you have caused this situation to get worse by being greedy and trying to make him either buy some land from you or give you the shed instead of just recognizing that he accidentally built it on the wrong side of the line and letting him move it to his side or take it down completely.

No that is not the way this works it's my Shed on my Property.Legally he can't touch a thing in it,he can not touch the Shed.It don't matter if he built it which he didn't or it was there when he bought his place he just laid claim on it.It would be like him using my Garage which is closer than the Shed.

No Way!

brushrunner
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-28-2013, 09:57 PM
 
Location: In a happy place
3,784 posts, read 7,044,227 times
Reputation: 7473
Our son and daughter-in-law are in the process of buying a lot to build their new home on. The survey shows that their neighbor, who lives in the original farmhouse on the development, recently poured a 40 x 100 concrete slab behind the original barn so he would have a place to park his boat, RV, etc. It appears that 24 x 100 feet of that slab is actually on the lot the kids are in the process of buying.

Our son's take on the matter? He said it was time to meet the new neighbor and see what could be worked out. "It isn't worth it to create friction with the neighbor before we even break ground on the new house over something as trivial as a piece of concrete." according to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2013, 08:43 AM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
29,581 posts, read 64,142,266 times
Reputation: 34332
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtechno View Post
Our son and daughter-in-law are in the process of buying a lot to build their new home on.

"It isn't worth it to create friction with the neighbor before we even break ground on the new
house over something as trivial as a piece of concrete." according to him.
How large is the total lot? And how large "a piece of concrete"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-29-2013, 10:45 AM
 
Location: In a happy place
3,784 posts, read 7,044,227 times
Reputation: 7473
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
How large is the total lot? And how large "a piece of concrete"?
Total lot size, just over 2 acres. total slab is 40 x 100, 24 x 100 is on their lot.

They were originally looking for something in the 5-10 acre range.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:16 PM.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top