U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 07:26 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,734,442 times

Advertisements

There are no significant rocks, it's boreal muskeg (permafrost bog) of glacial clay silt. Since the survey monuments are metal, we don't need to do anything additional to find them with a metal detector. The problem isn't necessarily finding them later if they get covered or overgrown, it's keeping them where they are with people driving and plowing over them. The ones that don't get ripped out by the plow blade are getting driven/dragged down into the mud and misaligned (at whatever angle the vehicle is moving). Anything at ground level suffers the same risk if it's continually driven over during mud season since there is no substantial soil beneath to anchor it... entire vehicles sink in this stuff!

If I measured off the official monument and erected a deep & tall corner post at the edges of the setbacks, I'd essentially be setting up a new monument diagonal to the old one and outside the access easement where it is not at risk of being driven on or pushed over.

Last edited by MissingAll4Seasons; 05-01-2013 at 07:36 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 10:11 AM

4,585 posts, read 10,996,828 times
Drive in T-posts and spray them dayglow or some re-bar, anything that sticks up 4-5' above ground and plainly seen.

Old 05-02-2013, 11:02 AM

152 posts, read 473,535 times
Most folks don't know it but their property line, on the side with road frontage is usually out in the street someplace.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
Drive in T-posts and spray them dayglow or some re-bar, anything that sticks up 4-5' above ground and plainly seen.

Old 05-18-2013, 10:24 PM

272 posts, read 256,888 times
I used these simpson speed posts they are a steel post that you hammer into the ground. So they will be able to be found with a metal detector and you can also attach a 4x4 post to them. One thing though if you are buying a lot of them they are kind of expensive but you can find cheaper ones. I hope something like this works out for you.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:25 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,734,442 times
Thanks for the tip, onlymike. Using a metal speed post spike with a built-in post receiver would allow me to attach a high-visibility weather-resistant post which can be easily replaced if it starts to sink into the mud or gets knocked over by plow or traffic. Luckily, we only have to mark the corner monuments so that shoudn't be too extremely expensive.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:32 AM

631 posts, read 1,740,612 times
Default Have you considerd marking 25" in toward your property?

I have a survey for my property and only on a couple of corners that are in the center of an old log trail is the marker located in the road. We also have a county road with asphalt and all the points are set 25' in from center of the road. I actually have to reset a marker because I suspect one of my neighbors kids pulled it out and I found it laying on the top of the ground. I am going to measure from the opposite side of the road 25" to center and then 25" feet from center and then work with my compass for the proper cross position for this corner.

Old 10-31-2014, 02:02 PM

3,784 posts, read 7,041,001 times
I would suspect that the measurement is 25' from the center of the road right of way. Keep in mind that there may be places where the center of the road is not necessarily at the center of the right of way. We just had a survey done on a property we recently purchased and found about a 3' discrepancy between the "assumed" center of the right of way and the "actual" center of the right of way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or