U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 05:08 PM

4,729 posts, read 8,734,442 times

Advertisements

We live in a remote area and most of the plots aren't inhabited yet. When the original survey team came out, they cut in paths along the lot lines to put in mushroom monuments at the corners. The State set a 25' access easement on all the perimeters, so those original paths have been enlarged by us and others as the main driving lanes.

Unfortunately, that means the survey monuments are now in the "road" and some of them are getting driven under or torn out.

We've been considering erecting something around (at least) our monuments that will be permanent, easy to see even in winter with 4' of snow, and won't obstruct travel/plowing too badly.

How have you guys solved this problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2013, 01:09 PM

1,344 posts, read 2,574,740 times
How about a slab of concrete at road/ground level with an "X" that marks the spot? 12" diameter and 12" thick (4-5 60# bags of concrete or so). It'll stay but won't be in your way. If the area isn't going to be a road, consider putting a steel plate or something at/near the top so you can find it with a metal detector if it gets overgrown.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:23 PM

29,579 posts, read 64,099,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanR View Post
How about a slab of concrete at road/ground level with an "X" that marks the spot?
Yup. Still, no need to reinvent the wheel. LINK

Old 04-28-2013, 07:42 PM

I'm a little concerned about putting this at ground level since the neighbors might cover over it if the lane gets graveled later. The mushroom monument is solid metal, so I guess ringing it in concrete to keep it from being pulled up or smooshed down too much would work, then relying on a metal detector to find it if it does get covered.

The major issue is we're on muskeg with no bottom; so not only do things sink really easily in the mud every spring, it's likely that any later road will be a foot of gravel or more.

I'm almost tempted to widen the trail cut and put in a median of sorts with a reflective barrel over the monument since one lot owner has already had issues with his monument mysteriously disappearing.

Since we're way out in the boonies, it's $$$$$ to get re-surveyed.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingAll4Seasons View Post
I'm a little concerned about putting this at ground level since the neighbors might cover over it if the lane gets graveled later. The mushroom monument is solid metal, so I guess ringing it in concrete to keep it from being pulled up or smooshed down too much would work, then relying on a metal detector to find it if it does get covered.
That's the approach I'd probably take. I'd also consider marking at least 2 trees (engrave a X or something) that when a string is pulled between them, they make a straight line over the marker. This will then provide a straight, easy line to run your metal detector over to find the property marker. On one of the trees, also engrave a distance. You can then pull the string, measure out the distance from the one tree and you should then be right above the marker in the event you need to dig.

Old 04-29-2013, 04:18 PM

We had a few monument trees, as well as a few specifically preserved for winch points... they've been chainsawed or torn up/pushed over by the plow

We're stuck between not wanting to make a complete vehicular obstruction, and making it enough of an obstruction that it doesn't get destroyed or lost.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:29 PM

How about putting/leaving a ground level marker there with steel and if it sinks which sounds unavoidable you can still find with a metal detector. Instead of trees, put some markers off to the sides of the road which form the line over the marker. You could use cones as you mentioned earlier so long as they don't grow legs and leave or get some 8' rebar and drive into the ground about 4'.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:41 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,092,512 times
Here they mark the survey with steel stakes that are long and driven into the ground below ground level. Easliy located with a metal detector when needed.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:30 PM

We could easily find our metal mushroom with a detector as well, but digging them out to verify that you're reading a survey monument vs. Bob's bear trap that he lost 4 years ago might be something else altogether.

I may put a line of posts at the corner of our easement set-backs. If I sink three to five 10' sched-40 pipe down 4' with a concrete casing, and then paint them white/reflective/hi-vis, then they ought to stay put and form an arrow head pointing to the monument.

It's either that or clear a "lane & a half" around the markers, and build a roundabout/median with boulders to preserve the marker in the middle and force people to drive & plow around them instead of over them. I could even sink a pipe and affix a reflective "Keep Right" sign on it so it can't sneak up on you. Doing that would at least ensure we had a guaranteed sturdy winch point every few hundred feet.

Old 05-01-2013, 09:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
23,478 posts, read 41,064,757 times
How rocky is the soil?

I've drove in 4'-6' long vertical Steel bars ~ 1" dia flush to BELOW the road surface. Metal detector will find THAT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or