Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is A Town Of 25 Thousand People Considered Rural ?
YES 12 13.33%
NO 78 86.67%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 08:48 PM

37,461 posts, read 61,379,739 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
25,000 isn't rural, it's a small city. The surrounding area could certainly be rural, though. That would make the 25K town the area's "big city" and commercial center.
That is how it is here.

I live about dead center in our township. Houses are 1/2 mile to 1 mile apart, and folks is friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 02:05 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,634,135 times
Some good observations in this thread. There are a lot of factors that go into the rural/non-rural calculation, but at 25,000, that's not really "rural" in many senses.

One question is, do people from smaller surrounding towns/villages/rural areas visit the place for "city" services that don't exist in their own areas? If so, it's already sliding down the "rural" scale compared to other places, and has more characteristics of a traditional city.

For example, if the town has a national chain big-box outlet, it is "plugged in" to the national distribution grid in a very direct way. It's one of the "spokes" of somebody's regional warehouse hub. And even if the town is smaller, something like that usually serves as a regional "draw" - it's one of those "city services" that puts the city apart from the country. If the only stores around are "smallboxes," then that's more of a small-town characteristic.

Distance to a larger city also makes a difference. Not merely suburbs (which are part of urban areas), but small towns within easy reach of a big city tend to be a bit different in character from those requiring a longer drive. Is it really a "rural" town if you can drive 45 minutes to a big international airport or a major sports stadium? I wouldn't always rule it out, but it affects things.

As noted above, West Fargo in particular is part of Fargo–Moorhead, which is a metro area of over 200,000 people. Kind of small by national standards, but nowhere near "rural."

On the other side, I wouldn't rule out areas as "rural" simply because they possess one or more of the following:

-a bank branch

-a post office branch

-a non-big-box "super"-market or food store

-a freeway exit or common freeway services like a motel

-a medical clinic

There are some specks on the map with a couple hundred people or fewer with at least one of those things, so, unless "rural" means smaller than that, I'd include them.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:33 AM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times
No I don't in answer to the OP's question. 25.000 is a small city or large town depending on how you reference things but look:

Small cities such as these have paid police/fire protection 24/7. Rural areas generally have county sheriffs and fire districts manned with volunteer firemen.

Although shopping can be limited in these small cities, there is usually plenty of stores for most everyday needs. Rural folks must come into town for this.

Municipal water/sewer/garbage collection (doesn't always happen in rural areas)

Some restrictions applied on what one can and can't do such as burning yard wastes in the open. Any smaller towns usually allow such.

These points are why I wouldn't call a city of 25,000 a rural area although it would seem that way to people who have lived in ahem-"major cities".

Old 05-27-2013, 01:07 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
I don't consider ANY city, town or village to be rural. Small? yes... rural? no. Rural is farms, fields, woods, with a house tossed in here and there for good measure, but none very close to each other. Everything else is not rural. I live in a small town of 1200 people, we are not rural. The area surrounding my town is rural though.

Old 05-27-2013, 08:04 PM

2,707 posts, read 6,232,456 times
In a 100 mile radius around me, there are about 25,000 people, which is considerably more populated than other places I've lived.

NO, 25,000 in a single town is not rural! lol
In my corner of the world, 25,000 is a major community!

Old 05-27-2013, 08:52 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,440,513 times
According to the encyclopedia, in the USA, 10% is urban/suburban, leaving 90% rural. The town where I live is about 40,000 and is considered rural.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:17 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Brimelow View Post
I have an aunt who recently retired in a town in North Dakota called West Fargo. It has a population of over 25 thousand people.

To her it feels more small town than urban especially compared to where she used to live which was Houston, a city of over 2 million people.
I think you hit it on the head, she came from a major city. Rural is not just size, but where the town is compared to other cities and towns in the area. We live in a town of about 25,000. We have large lots, trees, lots of wildlife and sometimes I feel it is just us and Mother Nature. We have no houses across the street or on the street behind us. Yet, because we are only 15 minutes or so from major shopping and other businesses most do not really consider this rural. If we took the same town and moved in 30 miles away it would be very rural.

Old 06-03-2013, 03:09 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,938,758 times
Strictly speaking, no.

That said, I think it's worth differentiating between towns that are part of a rural economy and towns that are linked to major metropolitan areas. While I wouldn't class either as rural, there's a vast difference between a town of 25,000 who's outlook is towards a nearby city and a town of 25,000 that serves as the major economic hub for a rural area.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:21 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,369,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubblejumper View Post
Strictly speaking, no.

That said, I think it's worth differentiating between towns that are part of a rural economy and towns that are linked to major metropolitan areas. While I wouldn't class either as rural, there's a vast difference between a town of 25,000 who's outlook is towards a nearby city and a town of 25,000 that serves as the major economic hub for a rural area.

Agree, it depends on the surrounding geographic context (things like proximity to relatively larger or smaller communities).

Old 06-17-2013, 08:06 AM

23,592 posts, read 70,391,434 times
It might be rural if:
You know the postmaster/postmistress
You know the postal carrier, UPS guy, and FedEx guys by name
You knew every kid in your graduating class and at least roughly where he lived
Navigation instructions start out "You go down past the Haney place..."
You rode a horse and drove a tractor at least a couple times growing up
You know who the important families are
The fire department is volunteer
The police dept (if any) has no more than five people
Most people have septic tanks
You have to drive at least twenty miles to shop for more than groceries
The restaurants advertise a "meat and two"
You tell relatives that you live NEAR some place fifty miles away (not a bad idea anyway )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living