U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 09:15 AM

28 posts, read 92,457 times

Advertisements

My family (me, husband, 2 preschoolers) is looking to move out of expensive, hectic FL to small-town Amercia. Our jobs are pretty portable. We are pretty much open to anywhere in the US. I would LOVE some suggestions of places to look into. Here is what I am looking for...

LOW cost-of-living
True small-town with its own identity (NOT a suburb)
Target population 8K-20K
"Charm"
Safe
Good schools
Preferably near water (large lake, river or ocean/gulf)
Not too much snow or long, harsh winters

Any suggestions would be VERY appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2007, 09:34 AM

32,885 posts, read 56,095,359 times
Eureka, California

Old 11-05-2007, 09:41 AM

30 posts, read 112,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1111tmw View Post
My family (me, husband, 2 preschoolers) is looking to move out of expensive, hectic FL to small-town Amercia. Our jobs are pretty portable. We are pretty much open to anywhere in the US. I would LOVE some suggestions of places to look into. Here is what I am looking for...

LOW cost-of-living
True small-town with its own identity (NOT a suburb)
Target population 8K-20K
"Charm"
Safe
Good schools
Preferably near water (large lake, river or ocean/gulf)
Not too much snow or long, harsh winters

Any suggestions would be VERY appreciated!
Good morning, first thought was Hendersonville, NC (not sure about cost of living though) or maybe some place around Greenville, SC, nice towns, lower cost of living.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:45 AM

20,005 posts, read 70,001,443 times
Id recommend Galena, IL, but it can get real snowy (not like Buffalo, NY or anything) and definitely cold.

http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2006/exploring.autumn/interactive/gallery.ireport.fall.color/1123/04.mississippi.ireport.jpg (broken link)

And if the snow does get heavy, you can always head to Chestnut Mountain Ski Resort in Galena. lol

Old 11-05-2007, 11:19 AM

8,629 posts, read 14,076,047 times
The places to stay away from are.........anywhere in the Great Planes , or , and , surrounding areas. Also , anywhere that has extreme temperatures , hot , or cold. Snow should not be a problem anywhere , with todays roads, 4 x 4 s , and improved clearing methods. Hot is the worst climate. You can't take off enough clothes , but , you can put more on....... The major issue these days , is energy cost. Its only going to get worse.
Look for a small town in a temperate climate. If you locate to a vacation area , you will find a lot of services , that are not found in most small towns. There will be better air quality , great views , and generally , good schools. A good tax base , or at least a steady one , will also pay off , for you , in lower taxes , and , improved public services.
I have found that if you settle in an exclusive vacation area , costs of living can be high , but , many businesses will give discounts to year round residences. As well , sometimes , you can settle in an adjoining area , and , have the best of both worlds. Stay away from areas that are needy for everything. You will wind up paying for them one way or another , in higher taxes , as the years go by.
To me , resort , areas are the best places to live. Low crime , small town feel , " quaint" , all go to make life more pleasant. Remember , where ever you go , YOU , will be there year round. Don't fall for a place that looks good for just a few days, look for a place that feels right to you .......follow your feelings , picture yourself there in all seasons. Rent first for a year, get to know the place , the people , the little secrets , only the locals know...... then you will be better prepaired to buy , and , put down roots....happy hunting !

Old 11-05-2007, 11:46 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,580,763 times
look into Portales,New Mexico,its flat but nice,population is around 11,000 and they have a small university there,Clovis is 20 miles away and has an air force base,most people go to Clovis to shop and eat,It does get snow,but alot of the winter days are nice and sunny.The nearest city is Amarillo and Lubbock with 200,000 population each.I think some people are price gouging on the houses cause more people are moving in with the base but you can find some good houses cheap.

Old 11-05-2007, 11:49 AM

32,885 posts, read 56,095,359 times
WOW...Galena is gorgeous.

Old 11-05-2007, 01:39 PM

28 posts, read 92,457 times
Great suggestions. Thanks everyone. Keep them coming! Anywhere in the south?

Old 11-05-2007, 03:01 PM

8,629 posts, read 14,076,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1111tmw View Post
Great suggestions. Thanks everyone. Keep them coming! Anywhere in the south?
I think , if you want the south , take a look in the mountains. In NC. look at Highlands, Weaverville ,Blowing Rock , Waynesville,Flat Rock , Brevard ,Boone, and Banner Elk........... In Tn. Sevierville,Maryville, Johnson City ,and the rural area around Knoxville. ( these Tn. towns will have warm summers however ). If you want real cool summers , try Beech Mountain , NC . .at 5,000 ft. it will be bug free , and AC is not needed. Small area , ski slopes , a new town , thats growing, might be a bit remote,. Cold winters..... Highlands is also bug free , cool , but , its getting harder to find affordable housing. I lived there 18 years , and , loved it ! The jewel of the south , with many large summer homes, arts-crafts, gourmet rest. theater ,and at 4200 feet , no AC is needed. ( cold winters )
There are some places in Va. also , but , I am not knowledgeable enough to comment.

Old 11-06-2007, 06:29 AM

6,749 posts, read 20,120,204 times
How about Bardstown, Kentucky?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living