Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2015, 10:33 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,195,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DauntlessDan View Post
Have lived amongst Mennonites and some Amish in Western NY state. Shopped at their farmer's markets and stores. I must say their produce and goods are top notch. Quaint to see them with their horse drawn buggies going to town or to the lake. Some stores even had places outside for them to hitch their horses. I have found them to be congenial but not really "friendly". Have spoken and interacted many times and purchased much merchandise on a routine basis (wife has a hand-made cedar chest and hand-made rocking chair) from them. They are kind of a closed-community (not trying to be offensive) and if you are not a member for their group, then you are "the English".
Been through South Dayton, have you?

There are a lot of Amish communities in eastern and southern Chautauqua County as well as in western Cattaraugus County and down into Warren County in PA. They settled and stay here because the price of land is significantly cheaper than elsewhere. Most of the communities are Old Order Amish, but there's differences in what is allowed, especially in business. Some Amish communities are very strict with remaining separate while others will allow electricity, phones and even the use of motor vehicles and gas powered equipment for business. Generally, though, Amish will not use these same things for themselves.

For the most part, the Amish in this part of NY and PA are not opposed to riding in cars or trucks; they just don't drive them, even if they own one for their business (they hire an "Englischer" to drive it). As others have said, their good neighbors, friendly enough, but they don't make "friends" with people who are not Amish very often.

Amish in Chautauqua and Cattaraugus Counties are not exempted from following county health department laws for dealing with sewage, so they have to have septic tanks and leach fields like everybody else. They also pay all taxes except those relating to Social Security and Medicare because they are exempted as they don't use those programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2015, 11:00 AM

280 posts, read 325,719 times
I know this is an old thread - but I do live among the Amish, and as a whole, I am not a fan. On a one on one basis, they are just like anyone else, but as a group, they are basically a cult, living amongst us, and they get away with things they shouldn't. In my area they have puppy mills and over work their horses then dump them at slaughterhouses (get a car already). They are out of control during Rumspringa - drugs, alcohol, sex, etc. They aren't immune to anything anybody else is.

I'm a horsewoman and the way they treat their horses is appalling. The way they treat their women and children is worse.

Don't buy it.

Old 02-24-2015, 11:20 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,334,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcmtcm View Post
I know this is an old thread - but I do live among the Amish, and as a whole, I am not a fan. On a one on one basis, they are just like anyone else, but as a group, they are basically a cult, living amongst us, and they get away with things they shouldn't. In my area they have puppy mills and over work their horses then dump them at slaughterhouses (get a car already). They are out of control during Rumspringa - drugs, alcohol, sex, etc. They aren't immune to anything anybody else is.

I'm a horsewoman and the way they treat their horses is appalling. The way they treat their women and children is worse.

Don't buy it.
I agree.....

Some Amish in our area have little shacks behind their main home........for women.....they have to stay there if they are menstruating.

Old 10-18-2015, 08:13 AM

2 posts, read 2,108 times
i live in ethridge tn very old order amish

amish men are friendly and wave
they will do almost any handyman job for you and charge you a very fair price

the women are more reserved

animals are not treated very well and i have seen plenty of horse kicking and beating

manure is on the roads everywhere

but it is fun to drive up to the farms and buy veggies and bakery items and baskets and furniture and candles and household items etc

prices are low and taxes are low

lawrenceburg is close enough and has plenty of chain stores walmart mcdonalds etc if you get tired of relyi on the amish for groceries

an amish man does not mind sitting on your porch and talking to you

there are good and bad amish that is the bottom line

some are friendly some just want to do business with you

they all mind their own business and they are all hardworking

overall i really like living amongst them and i feel very safe here in ethridge tennessee

Old 10-29-2015, 12:55 AM

584 posts, read 1,934,997 times
here in ny i think they are great they pay land tax pay for public schools they do not use. if not for them many farms would be laying dead.the horses are not pets but beast of burden . so yes they get worked. what is sad a 80 year old amish man can out work and lift more than a 18 year old non amish. like use they have good and bad. but i like them

Old 10-29-2015, 04:20 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,239,825 times
So overall, the Amish are a mix of good and not so good and outright bad.

Just like the rest of us.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:03 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,586,726 times
In my corner of Ohio, Amish people seems abandoned agriculture, even gardening is rather rare, but they must have horses for transportation. A typical Amish "homestead" is large home on an overgrazed, pathetic lot, significant number of Amish home lots dont have a single freaking tree, any tree, not speaking of gardens etc., I kid you not. A few surviving vegetable roadstands claim that they sell "Amish" produce, they lie, local Amish people dont garden much, and I know a few commercial growers that produce "local Amish" vegetables for the lying sobs.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:11 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,586,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pendleton42 View Post
here in ny i think they are great they pay land tax pay for public schools they do not use. if not for them many farms would be laying dead.the horses are not pets but beast of burden . so yes they get worked. what is sad a 80 year old amish man can out work and lift more than a 18 year old non amish. like use they have good and bad. but i like them
They pay agricultural tax rate, which is much less than land tax I pay, even though most of Amish living here do little to none agriculture.

Old 10-30-2015, 01:22 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,239,825 times
If they were in Australia they'd pay zero land tax. Religions are exempt.

True story. Its appalling.

Old 11-17-2015, 04:15 PM

5,401 posts, read 6,527,148 times
Amish in my area do not "allow" women & children to wear shoes on the farm in the summer. What more do you need know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Rural and Small Town Living